events - prepare for e-rage.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
iamreallysquall

Re: events - prepare for e-rage.

Post by iamreallysquall »

So tonight s dd further proves people just play for events. majority of red after winning all logged off, then the shard crashed shortly after restarted and reverted to during the event, and then the other team won because all of red team mostly crew and some others all logged because trammel was over >_>
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Foefoucheaux

Post by Foefoucheaux »

Azimer wrote:Should the GM`s be providing "in game content" that specifically removes players from the normal world, stifles interaction both in the "content area" and the normal world, and inherently breaks the risk vs reward framework that serves as the foundation of this era over 700 times a year (Or however many automated events take place on secondage per year)? Is that really what they should be doing in the first place?
Once again I vehemently disagree that events stifle interaction among players in Second Age. From my observations, during events sign-ups and after events, players interact with each other by talking to a greater degree than they do in town and to a much greater degree than they do in the field. In town, players for the most part just bank their gold then recall back to their farm location/house. On the field a great many players will recall the instant they see another player; blue/red/grey/green/orange, it doesn't matter. If casting recall is your guys' definition of player interaction then I am afraid we have a difference of opinion. If this was SP and people couldn't run from fights that would be one thing, but I think alot of players like events where people can't just recall away from a fight.

Additionally, veterans have suggested to new players that they observe the tournament matches to learn how to pvp. Is this not player interaction?

On a different note, many of these events allow templates other than a tank mage to be successful. You can play an archer or dexter fairly successfully in a capture the flag game. You can win a survival game with a t-hunter bard. On the field, imho, you have to be a tank mage to pvp successfully.

Futher, I reject the arguement that playing in an event is not 'playing UO'. News flash, nothing on Second Age is real. Agruing that what happens in one imaginary zone is more real than what happens in another imaginary zone is like saying 'My imaginary friend is real but yours is not'. Events utilize all the game mechanics of UO in terms of combat tables, skill checks, and dice rolls.

I do not think that events are out of balance for risk vs rewards. The only reward you can get in an event is silver, which buys decorative pixels. Sure you can sell silver for gold but its so easy to get gold that if you really figured the opportunity cost of how much you could earn farming instead of playing the events you would see that the rewards for events are very limited.

For Squally's arguement, those players could have switched to other characters for all we know. I mean even Sandro has a treasure hunter.

Finally, multi-clienting has a much greater negative impact on player interaction than events could ever have. Players do not have to interact to have things crafted because everyone has their own full mules. Stat loss does not matter with 15 character slots. Multi-clienting has a much more negative NEA effect than events. Razor and gm sanctioned afk macroing are also NEA but we use them.

Before you flame me out as a Trammelite, I haven't played an event in over two months. And yes I have played in the field in that time. I will continue to enjoy Second Age with or without events, but I voice my opinions here so strongly because I truly feel that events increase player interaction in a place where one can hardly say hi to another player without them running away. Thank you for the stimulating discourse.

Foe
BlackFoot wrote:I like Foefoucheaux's attitude/take on uo.
Panthor the Hated wrote:Also, Foe is right.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

actually, most of the people who were in the events joined to late to be in the second round. nightshark logged in somewhere else because at the time of the last save he hadn't signed up yet. Only people who were in it were there to sign up within the first 1-2 mins of the gates opening.

Only really proves that you don't think before you post.

Tagarr

Post by Tagarr »

Foe

Foe, I'm not going to quote your whole post because it's just too much text.

All in all we are discussing the accuracy of the Events as a whole.

- The creation of new/custom maps
- The invocation of custom rulesets for event purposes only.
---- No looting
---- No stealing
---- Free-use
- The currency/reward system.

Please let me know how any of these mechanics were a part the T2A era.
If you can rebut the items above I will agree with you.

You are using circumstancial evidence to support your arguments.
I am using facts.

Edit* - I'll take it one step further and enlighten you slightly.

- The creation of new/custom maps
This only happened with a major update/expansion, the aspect of creating additional landscapes is a mechanical feature/addition, the landscape added in T2A was; T2A. Nothing more, nothing less.

- The invocation of custom rulesets for event purposes only.

---- No looting
This was added as a mechanic strictly for Trammel, which came many years after T2A

---- No stealing
This was also added as a mechanic strictly for Trammel, which again; came many years after T2A.

---- Free-use
Was never ever a mechanic in Ultima Online.

- The currency/reward system.
The Silver system was implemented with factions in UO:R. It was never once used as it is implemented on SecondAge.

I could go in to more detail and argue how each one of these negatively impacts era-reproduction gameplay, (as Foe is trying to defend.) however, I don't even need to do that; because simply from a mechanic standpoint, these are all things that didn't ever exist in this era, let alone one that didn't ever exist in Ultima Online in any way whatsoever....

Why do we draw the line here and not remove these obvious INACCURATE additions?
For the sake of keeping people entertained?
Why not just start implementing other custom items to keep people entertained? Custom housing? Hue'd skin? New weapons???? Well frankly, because that's not what this server is about.
Last edited by Tagarr on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anyway i want essence of tag to come to atlantic too, that boy smoked me in legend few months ago, i like his dueling style.
- Bud of Atlantic

<Binky> Tagarr do you guys live in derricks basement?
<Binky> Do you guys ping like 3?

Azimer
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Azimer »

Foefoucheaux wrote:
Azimer wrote:Should the GM`s be providing "in game content" that specifically removes players from the normal world, stifles interaction both in the "content area" and the normal world, and inherently breaks the risk vs reward framework that serves as the foundation of this era over 700 times a year (Or however many automated events take place on secondage per year)? Is that really what they should be doing in the first place?
Foefoucheaux wrote:Once again I vehemently disagree that events stifle interaction among players in Second Age.
Automated events stifle the risk vs reward based interaction that occurs in the normal world as they exist outside of the normal world that existed in era.
Foefoucheaux wrote:Futher, I reject the arguement that playing in an event is not 'playing UO'.
Automated Events do not take place in the normal world.
Foefoucheaux wrote:I do not think that events are out of balance for risk vs rewards.
Automated Events remove players from the normal world. They are placed into a non mechanically era accurate world with a different ruleset that inherently breaks the risk vs reward framework that serves as the foundation of this era.

Foefoucheaux

Post by Foefoucheaux »

Tagarr, I am sorry for the confusion regarding quoting. I simply meant that I prefer people to address arguements as a whole rather than picking apart quotes.

There are actually alot of arguments being made here, not just that special event locations were not part of UO 2ta shards. They were not. I am refuting the argument that events have a negative impact on the shard's community and player interaction. This should be perfectly clear in my posts. In fact, the quoted text from Azimer directly states that he believes events have these negative effects on the shard. Once again multiclienting and razor have a much more substanial NEA effect on the shard than events could ever have.
BlackFoot wrote:I like Foefoucheaux's attitude/take on uo.
Panthor the Hated wrote:Also, Foe is right.

Tagarr

Post by Tagarr »

Foefoucheaux wrote:Tagarr, I am sorry for the confusion regarding quoting. I simply meant that I prefer people to address arguements as a whole rather than picking apart quotes.

There are actually alot of arguments being made here, not just that special event locations were not part of UO 2ta shards. They were not. I am refuting the argument that events have a negative impact on the shard's community and player interaction. This should be perfectly clear in my posts. In fact, the quoted text from Azimer directly states that he believes events have these negative effects on the shard. Once again multiclienting and razor have a much more substanial NEA effect on the shard than events could ever have.

Ultimately I could care less whether or not they have a negative impact on the server.
My overall opinion is that they do........

However my opinion on whether they are positive or negative doesn't matter in any way whatsoever. The content and mechanics are 100% era inaccurate, in the same way that any other mechanical inaccuracy needs to be corrected/removed/put to death., this one does too.
Anyway i want essence of tag to come to atlantic too, that boy smoked me in legend few months ago, i like his dueling style.
- Bud of Atlantic

<Binky> Tagarr do you guys live in derricks basement?
<Binky> Do you guys ping like 3?

Spitfire

Post by Spitfire »

Whoever suggested nixing prime time events got their wish, check out the new event list!

iamreallysquall

Azimer wrote:
Foefoucheaux wrote:Futher, I reject the arguement that playing in an event is not 'playing UO'.
Automated Events do not take place in the normal world.
I am not by any means not agreeing on this one or for whats it worth your entire response but technically its still on the felluca facet as per derrick in irc, just that its using custom rules for the event or something to that extent.

Beatingu

Post by Beatingu »

Whats the point of running events at 5am and nothing during prime time? I bet this is only temporary.
Ardos wrote:I lost 1.1 mil to BeatingU today. I won the first one of three for 300k. Then he won 4 straight 2/3s and took me for 1.1 mil gold. I retract my statements and should not have dueled this rusty.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

iamreallysquall wrote:So tonight s dd further proves people just play for events. majority of red after winning all logged off, then the shard crashed shortly after restarted and reverted to during the event, and then the other team won because all of red team mostly crew and some others all logged because trammel was over >_>
err, I was playing the game before DD started, hence I did not rush straight to the DD. Only the people who signed up for the DD immediately were actually entered into it after the crash. So the fact that people were not online to play DD after the server crash sort've proves the opposite - those who were busy playing the game did not get to play after the crash ;)

Personally I am busy nearly all the time when I am playing, but I do set aside time for events (unless I am doing something REALLY FUN and can't make it). The events are fun and add to my overall playing experience of this shard. I am sad to see the event list stripped down and don't think this is a good thing for the shard.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

iamreallysquall

nightshark wrote:
iamreallysquall wrote:So tonight s dd further proves people just play for events. majority of red after winning all logged off, then the shard crashed shortly after restarted and reverted to during the event, and then the other team won because all of red team mostly crew and some others all logged because trammel was over >_>
err, I was playing the game before DD started, hence I did not rush straight to the DD. Only the people who signed up for the DD immediately were actually entered into it after the crash. So the fact that people were not online to play DD after the server crash sort've proves the opposite - those who were busy playing the game did not get to play after the crash ;)

Personally I am busy nearly all the time when I am playing, but I do set aside time for events (unless I am doing something REALLY FUN and can't make it). The events are fun and add to my overall playing experience of this shard. I am sad to see the event list stripped down and don't think this is a good thing for the shard.
why you feeling singled out i am referring to the afk players who were signed up sitting in the spawn during the event or the people who just did not log back on at all i am fully aware that you were around and play the game nor do i have a problem with you >_>

Zelek Uther
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Zelek Uther »

The Event Schedule got changed... did I miss the memo?
Zadok Uther - Co-founder of Society of Traders [S^T]

Zelek Uther - Guild Master of Terra Nova [TN]

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

iamreallysquall wrote:
nightshark wrote:

why you feeling singled out i am referring to the afk players who were signed up sitting in the spawn during the event or the people who just did not log back on at all i am fully aware that you were around and play the game nor do i have a problem with you >_>
I'm not feeling singled out, I'm merely using myself and the other players who were in that DD (the ones you were referring to) as examples.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Azimer
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Azimer »

iamreallysquall wrote:I am not by any means not agreeing on this one or for whats it worth your entire response but technically its still on the felluca facet as per derrick in irc, just that its using custom rules for the event or something to that extent.
Automated events do not occur in the normal world or in an mechanically era accurate ruleset.