How to get started from 0?

Playguides written by Staff and Players.
Much more information on specific skills can be found in our T2A wiki.
tootboot

How to get started from 0?

Post by tootboot »

I've played on a lot of free UO shards, but I'm unsure how to proceed from 0 with 100 starting gold. Is there any tradeskill I can do in town with a 50/50 character that will get me a few thousand gold to fund my first combat character?

I tried fishing previously but couldn't find a place to sell fishsteaks.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: How to get started from 0?

Post by nightshark »

If you are looking to make a new warrior, you don't really need any funding to get started. Start with 50 healing/50 in some combat skill and shear sheep/pick cotton. You can make thousands of bandages in no time which will allow you to start working on your combat skills and earn a few gp killing mobs. GY (don't use brit GY) is a great place when you have no gold, since you will find bone armor to protect you.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

SJane3384
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SJane3384 »

There isn't an NPC you can sell fish steaks to, but lots of players will buy them, especially to help out new people (Matron, for example, has the largest collection of fish steaks on this shard). Just make a post selling them in the forums, or jump into IRC and advertise.

Another option is barding. You can easily macro up music/provo to GM in like a day, and then go out to places like the forest east of Brit and fight the low lvl mobs there. Ettins, trolls, etc usually have between 100-200gp on them, so it shouldn't take you that long to make a few k.
Dolphins are NOT era accurate, and MUST be banned!
Sign my PETITION!

Heckler

Post by Heckler »

SJane3384 wrote: You can easily macro up music/provo to GM in like a day.

this you must have dreamed bcus that is so not true it takes longer than a day to gm provo.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

takes roughly 3 days macroing 24/7
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Heckler

Post by Heckler »

nightshark wrote:takes roughly 3 days macroing 24/7

that was more what it felt when i did it.

SJane3384
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by SJane3384 »

Sorry, it's been a LONG time. 3 days then.
Dolphins are NOT era accurate, and MUST be banned!
Sign my PETITION!

do0m

Post by do0m »

tootboot wrote:I've played on a lot of free UO shards, but I'm unsure how to proceed from 0 with 100 starting gold. Is there any tradeskill I can do in town with a 50/50 character that will get me a few thousand gold to fund my first combat character?

I tried fishing previously but couldn't find a place to sell fishsteaks.
I know this is an old post, but figured I would add my two cents. Whenever I start a new shard I start a melee char and go kill sheep, not only will it work my melee skills a bit but also I sheer their wool and turn it yarn, from yarn into bolts of cloth, the cloth can then be used as a few extra banadges and/or sold to the tailor. Yew has 2-3 sheep pens with about 10-15 sheep in each pen, so thats a good area to do this.

Also picking cotton helps too.

The second option I use sometimes is starting a crafter with 50 carpentry and some other craft skill. Chop wood, make wooden shields, sell to armorer.

Return to “Guides”