chumbucket's Tales of Adventure: A Man of His Word

Share stories and special moments with the community.
chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

chumbucket's Tales of Adventure: A Man of His Word

Post by chumbucket »

I'm focusing a lot less on stealing starting today.

Liar! You don't do anything but steal.

Not true. For instance, there is my well known hobby of assembling and deploying tinker traps. Today, I went in for quite a bit of that. When I logged in, I grabbed a few and hit the road in search of adventure.

My first stop was the usual, West Britain Bank. There I laid a few down and even got a bite or two. This was enough to put me up to two hundred and five kills on my tinker and back on the top of the bounty board. Good times.

Shortly before, I had logged on to IRC and the topic of conversation was these very bombs. Eddie Van Halen was quick to chime in:

[17:48] <eddievanhalen> chum
01[17:48] <chumbucket> eddie
[17:48] <eddievanhalen> ill give u 50k
01[17:48] <chumbucket> ok
[17:48] <eddievanhalen> if u can bomb box me when i least expect it
[17:48] <eddievanhalen> 50k!
01[17:48] <chumbucket> when do you least expect it?
[17:48] <eddievanhalen> usually
01[17:48] <chumbucket> while you're on the toliet
[17:48] <eddievanhalen> around
[17:48] <eddievanhalen> 8 pm central
[17:48] <eddievanhalen> time
01[17:49] <chumbucket> If you go in to your bathroom, dont' open any strange crates

And so the challenge was offered! Eddie had a good laugh and probably forgot all about it. But not I! 50k is enough to make ten or fifteen more greater explosion kegs. I can use that kind of money. But I couldn't be too eager. He would become suspicious. I went out in search of good times in other places, only to come back to West Britain Bank a little later. And, fortunately, there he was, engaging with the other bank regulars. I would have to use all of my chum powers.

I missed my first chance. For reasons I don't understand, a gentleman by the name of Mac Dizzle attacks Eddie. He drops Eddie rather quickly, but I only have one remaining trapped box of the pile I grabbed when I logged on, and I had just dropped it on the body of a blue that had just died from opening another one. [I was going for what I like to call a "TWO'FER."] I couldn't get he box back until the body decayed. I would have to hope that that would happen soon and I could place it on his body before he showed up.

Alas, it didn't happen. Eddie came back quickly. But in the meantime, all of the city maps he was carrying with him had be dispersed in the streets. He picks them up. It looks like I won't get my shot.

But luck strikes. The body decays and I grab the box. I had been trying to throw some cheap shots in on various folks fighting, so I had been staying hidden the entire time. Eddie moves to the trash barrel in front of the bank and starts unloading maps. This is it. This is when it all comes together. I just need a little luck.

I stealth over to the trash barrel, drop in the box and wait. Most likely, I think, he isn't even looking in the barrel. Most likely, he is just dropping maps in it. And even if he is looking, how likely is it that he would pick up a strange box out of it and open it?

It was unlikely. But, like John McCain, I have to believe that the unlikely will occur. And, for me at least, it does. Out comes the box. The body hits the street. I immediately spring from the shadows and rejoice (i.e., gloat):

chumbucket: Where is my 50k?

I head to IRC.

[19:12] <eddievanhalen> OMG
[19:12] <eddievanhalen> CHUM GOT ME
[19:12] <eddievanhalen> ill give u 50k later
[19:13] <eddievanhalen> u bastard
01[19:13] <chumbucket> EDDIE
01[19:13] <chumbucket> WHERE IS MY 50K!
[19:13] <Rocks> oooh chum did you record this?
[19:13] <Rocks> sounds fun
[19:13] <eddievanhalen> dude i forgot i had auto search new containers on
[19:13] <eddievanhalen> ugh
[19:13] <Rocks> lmao

Now. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking he's lying, that he isn't really going to ever give me 50k. And I sort of thought that at first as well. Not because I think poorly of him, but just because I am a thief and I can't force him to give me that gold. Why would he? But isn't long before he says he is ready to come through.

[19:15] <eddievanhalen> danmmit
[19:15] <eddievanhalen> im a man of my word chum
01[19:15] <chumbucket> WHERE's MY MONEY EDDIE
[19:15] <eddievanhalen> come get ur 50k u bastard
01[19:15] <chumbucket> lol!
01[19:15] <chumbucket> I dont' see you

I meet him at the bank, but only to find that he doesn't have the 50k. He only has 40k in the bank. He tries to cut a deal: 25k now and the other 25k later. I don't see that I have much choice. I accept.

19:18] <eddievanhalen> EDDIE IS A MAN OF HIS WORD
[19:18] <eddievanhalen> ASK CHUM
01[19:19] <chumbucket> Eddie keeps half of his word now, the rest later.
[19:19] <Rocks> lol

Now, the story could stop here. It could have just been that Eddie gives me 25k and does or doesn't come up with the rest later. But I am a bard with a heart of gold. And Eddie is a fellow bard. It turns out, he's a little down on his luck. He hasn't gold to feed his children. He hasn't gold to restring his lute. He hasn't gold for reagents to recall away when he attacks town thieves. I decide that I should give him a break, on one condition.

[19:21] <eddievanhalen> fuckin chum put me in the hole
[19:21] <hemperor> my balance is 0
[19:24] <AntiChrist> just be glad i bought all your bows then
[19:24] <eddievanhalen> dude
[19:25] <eddievanhalen> that gold is gone
01[19:25] <chumbucket> HEY THAT BOW MONEY IS MINE
[19:25] <eddievanhalen> i bet chum 50k that he couldnt bank kill me
[19:25] <eddievanhalen> and low and behold
01[19:25] <chumbucket> You probably thought i wasn't even trying!
01[19:25] <chumbucket> hehe
[19:25] <eddievanhalen> im fuykin stupid i guess
[19:25] <Mirage> can't underestimate him
[19:25] <eddievanhalen> no its my fault
[19:26] <eddievanhalen> for not turning auto search off
01[19:26] <chumbucket> I'll tell you what Eddie. You did give me 25k, which shows character.
[19:26] <eddievanhalen> long time ago
01[19:26] <chumbucket> So I forgive your debt.
[19:26] <eddievanhalen> score!
01[19:26] <chumbucket> PROVIDED
01[19:26] <chumbucket> that you say I R NEW BMB PLS
[19:26] <AntiChrist> lol
01[19:26] <chumbucket> Eddie!?
06[19:27] * Rocks cups his hand to his ear.

[19:27] <eddievanhalen> I R NEW BMB PLS

01[19:27] <chumbucket> Thanks!
[19:27] <AntiChrist> can we quote you on that?

I should say, in all seriousness, that it was admirable of him to keep his word by donating such a nice sum to the chumbucket Purple Potion and Tinker Trap Fund.
Attachments
A deal is cut!
A deal is cut!
I R NEW GLD PLS
I R NEW GLD PLS
THE THRILL OF VICTORY!
THE THRILL OF VICTORY!
Last edited by chumbucket on Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

EddieVanHalen

Re: chumbucket's Tales of Adventure: A Man of His Word

Post by EddieVanHalen »

A classic tale...im just happy to be apart of it

Maahes

Post by Maahes »

chumbucket wrote: Now, the story could stop here. It could have just been that Eddie gives me 25k and does or doesn't come up with the rest later. But I am a bard with a heart of gold. And Eddie is a fellow bard. It turns out, he's a little down on his luck. He hasn't gold to feed his children. He hasn't gold to restring his lute. He hasn't gold for reagents to recall away when he attacks town thieves. I decide that I should give him a break, on one condition.

Hahaha, very good story chum, this made me laugh.

i8paintchipz

Post by i8paintchipz »

funny as hell... im also glad to finally see myself in one of ur pictures (orange floppy hat first picture)

Return to “Tales of Adventure”