Weapon Swing delays and Archery trial on Test Center

News and Announcements
platy

Re: Weapon Swing delays and Archery trial on Test Center

Post by platy »

Faust wrote:I don't know how many times I have to state that I am not a GM... I requested not to have an account above anything but a player. I help Derrick program code for the shard and do research.
platy wrote:sorry for confusing GM with forummod/dev/whatever you call yourself
Faust wrote:Platy, go back and read post #10 in the second thread. I clearly explain how it works. There are no clear notes on how exactly this works as for just about EVERY other function in UO. However, if you want to see how it works log on the demo. I don't know how many times I have to reiterate this. I've already stated the evidence that this in fact existed. There is no need to deny it.
platy wrote:demo is pret2a, how many times do i have to reiterate this, so your recreating the demo not t2a now?
Faust wrote:Platy, running up to someone and making them wrestle was probably one of the best counter measures an individual used during t2a. I don't think anyone should be trying to degrade anyone's pvp credentials that isn't even familiar with this tactic.
platy wrote:i never said you can't pvp: i said i don't beleive you when you say you did pvp in era.
Faust wrote:Also, the positive feedback that we have received from this update has been overwhelming compared to the negative. People are in fact tired of this "katana to hally" crap that never existed during the era. Many of the combos and tactics used back then that people remember are now in fact possible unlike on the current UOSA system.
platy wrote:that positive feedback has nothing to do with the problem at hand..
platy wrote:again i'm wasting my time talking to you: your not even talking about the same problem I am..
i'm done with this back and forth crap..
there's nothing i can do about it so i'll just join BloodyBandage and take a permanent hiatus from these pointless forums asap..

Is it in

Post by Is it in »

I don't know what any of this means...

platy

Post by platy »

then why post

Is it in

Post by Is it in »

To see if I can get any answers.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

its a pvp related change so people get worked up pretty fast, spew a bunch of rhetoric, say they hate the server for not doing what they want, threaten to quit and everyone else is going to quit and the server is dead, then rinse and repaeat, get used to it...

its waht made uo great :D

malice-tg
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by malice-tg »

Arcanus wrote:
Faust wrote:Don't tab out and problem solved. There is a reason nobody tabbed out during this era and this is that very reason. UOE had an attack last feature if I remember correctly.
My opinion is that nobody tabbed out back in the era because there was no "attack last" macro for a large portion of T2A, and even when it did get introduced, people didn't "catch on" or utilize it. No attack last macro makes it so that you have no way of attacking someone with a precast spell when you're tabbed out, unless you drop the spell to double click the person. People used to move away from their opponent, cast a spell, and hope to equip their weapon before they would waste their insta-hit on a punch.

I strongly believe this feature did not exist in UOE. I used the program very extensively back in the day, exploring every feature, creating hundreds of macros...hell, I even made my own "themed" profiles in UOE's speech replacement feature, like one to turn everything I said into "1337 speak" or "Olde English". I do not recall an "attack last" macro in UOE.

just wanted to put my two cents in not specifically pointed at you arc.

autodefend: tabbing out / wrestling was a cat and mouse tactic i used and most pvpers did ( sometimes unconsciously) during the era. when i first came here i realized i was doing it and didnt know why until derrick started working on the swing timers. i think the way it is works properly.

archer: archer wasnt very good during t2a era. im not sure if pvp was different on different servers or maybe memories are a little hazzy but on catskills it was hally and qstaff mages. bows were too slow and could not keep up with the damage of melee.

bows
-bow mages were common before t2a with the moving shooting / with xbows, that kicked but.
-bow mages were also used after UO:R ( myself included) because it became a fad for all the hally mages who couldnt precast to try archery as an alternative. it just wasnt the same however, i kept it for a little mainly because it was so difficult to gain the skill with alot of costly arrows but dropped it some time after factions started.

attack last macro
i remember using this macro in uo asap and also i believe uoa had a key for it. uoa was available in the t2a era if you were willing to pay the 15 :)

guys dont get too excited over this patch. it will be better and in about a week everyone will be so glad after adjusting... derrick as cracked the code for combat.

now we just have smaller fixes and the server is looking better than ever!

Faust

Post by Faust »

- Auto Defend Timeline -
1998 - UODemo
Still being forced to auto defend after tabbing out exists in the demo.
T2A era.
2005 - Publish 33
Auto defending after tabbing out removed.
2006 - Publish 40
Fixed an issue where auto-defend would override a player's current target
Would someone please explain to me how T2A doesn't fit into this timeline for auto defending after tabbing out to not exist? Platy seems to need assistance on this matter. The last time I checked "Pre" means before the T2A does it not?

crabjuice

Post by crabjuice »

Couldn't there be a possibility that it was removed and then re-added? Since the pvp changes so drastically in those time periods I don't see why there's a chance it could of been re-added at some point in time. Doesn't seem like "concrete" evidence to me ;x

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Many things that we find in the patch notes need to be interpreted some but they are more readily believed when they coincide with player memories. And some things that are explicitly in patch notes, like not being able to recall from dungeons, which was in a patch note in 1998 is completely discredited, because everyone remembers recalling from the bottom of dungeons in 1999.

The real issue I think here is whether or not spamming this is really something people will do. People have been fighting on test for 3+ days not and this has honestly not seemed to be an issue. I think I lot of the concern of this one feature is based on a complete misunderstanding of the changes in general which have not much been talked about yet in this thread.

We do need to do something about packet spam, both incoming and outgoing, and outgoing packet overloads are suspected to cause client crashes, and incoming packets were always throttled by OSI (You must wait to perform another action.) when Using and Lifting items.

These incoming throttles are currently only partially applied on UOSA, AttackLast spam, although it did not give a message, may very well be subject to a spamming throttle, just like any other action.

crabjuice

Post by crabjuice »

Well if you'd like I can make the spam macros and get on there and pvp.

Faust

Post by Faust »

crabjuice wrote:Couldn't there be a possibility that it was removed and then re-added? Since the pvp changes so drastically in those time periods I don't see why there's a chance it could of been re-added at some point in time. Doesn't seem like "concrete" evidence to me ;x
This is highly unlikely, especially since I remember this function during late '99. A friend of mine that had an archer mage frequently "tried" holding his shot by tabbing out and I would annoy the hell out of him by re-attacking him. It worked on most people but I knew how he fought. Do you realize the demo is only around a month behind the release of t2a? This would have to be even worse than the recall patch note, where it would have had another "missed" note where it was re-implemented after UOR. I wouldn't even give that a 1 in a billionth chance.

crabjuice

Post by crabjuice »

Regardless, it still comes down to everyone making massive macros. If you think about it, every tank mage would make a war/peace macro on every spell so they could tab out as casting. Also, everyone would make a looping attack last combatant macro that is hot keyed to disable/enable when pressed, as well as a looped war/peace macro that is hot keyed to disable/enable. This would just flood the server with more packets and cause more lag and ultimately make pvp much worse.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Additional changes on test center:
  • Item use delay of 0.5 seconds
  • Item lift delay of 0.5 seconds
  • Vendors will be dressed via their paperdoll, the "Customize" gump is gone
  • Fishers with > 80 fishing have a chance of pulling up a sea serpent on failure
  • Newbied items left on the ground will decay shockingly fast
  • Runebook crafting will be done by using the skill and targeting a blank rune. It will no longer show in the craft menu
  • Sound corrections to Explode, Fireball and Bardiche
  • Create Food spell only produces Hams
  • Mana Drain and Mana vamp resists adjusted
  • Loot increase on sea serpents and deep sea serps

draggle

Post by draggle »

Derrick wrote: [*]Create Food spell only produces Hams
[/list]
I remember using create food to get fruit to feed my horse and ostard?

Arcanus

Post by Arcanus »

Weapon timers are insane. Check out this short video I took of the halberd speed (about 2.7s between swings) by unequipping and equipping at the right time.

http://www.uomovies.com/download.pl?id=2776

Return to “Shard News”