Exploits

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
marmalade

Re: Exploits

Post by marmalade »

Omnicron wrote:
marmalade wrote:I don't know wtf you're talking about. Could you please explain what happened to you exactly so people who have a little more knowledge on the subject could perhaps shed some light on how you managed to get "hacked"?

Here is what happened. My cpu wouldent work to the standards that it normally does. (reversed screen and such) i log on the next day to find one of my towers emptied.

Mapomatic has like 10 accounts. check ips around the time people were getting ice white cloth/cbds. They are allowed to have a guildmaster account.

http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/108570
What does his accounts have to do with you losing your stuff?

Did you ever share your account details with anyone? Did you ever log on any other shard but this one with the same details?

LifeForce

Post by LifeForce »

inherited accounts used when holiday gifts are handed out are not really an exploit and old news. it is sad, though, that nothing is done against em.

Omnicron

Post by Omnicron »

marmalade wrote:
Omnicron wrote:
marmalade wrote:I don't know wtf you're talking about. Could you please explain what happened to you exactly so people who have a little more knowledge on the subject could perhaps shed some light on how you managed to get "hacked"?

Here is what happened. My cpu wouldent work to the standards that it normally does. (reversed screen and such) i log on the next day to find one of my towers emptied.

Mapomatic has like 10 accounts. check ips around the time people were getting ice white cloth/cbds. They are allowed to have a guildmaster account.

http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/108570
What does his accounts have to do with you losing your stuff?

Did you ever share your account details with anyone? Did you ever log on any other shard but this one with the same details?
No Mapo made it public that he had more than 3 accounts. He showed off that he had like 30 cbds. I was one of the older members of ka yet was never permitted on the guildmaster account. In all of my years of uo I have never, not once, ever given account information to anyone, not even a game master. Simple solution to this problem would be to make registration necessary, and delete unused accounts. Along with unused, greed driven, player run towns that block housing for new players.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Stuck wrote:
Omnicron wrote:a good free antivirus program
There is no such thing. Antivirus programs are inherently slow and terrible because they hook system calls to check for any malicious activity.
Symantec Endpoint 12 is great. Its so much lighter than 11, i have it on an HTPC micro and can still run 1080p no problem.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

There was an orc who had his account 'hacked' twice. I put hacked in quotes because as a software developer I don't consider most things hacking.

At any rate, somehow, it happened twice. We all suggested that hte person do a virus scan, change passwords, and contact Derrick. As far as I know nothing ever came of it. Seems to me it should be really easy to trace and solve.

In addition, I think its completely stupid to allow three accounts AND sharing of accounts. The three account limit should be three accounts. If you have and use 3 accounts, then you better not log into someone elses account. Sadly, as far as I know its not this way policy wise thus you get people who have '3 accounts' but access to 15.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

OJ Simpson

Post by OJ Simpson »

There was no 'hack' you just forgot to lock down your table in your tower...

tanmits

Post by tanmits »

OJ Simpson wrote:There was no 'hack' you just forgot to lock down your table in your tower...
As in, he logged in one day naked, houses transferred to another account, all items in the account gone. One would need quite a table to prevent that sort of madness.
S&S Yew: fully stocked bulk reagents, weapons, armor, explosion traps, and fishing spoils. Also, temporarily carrying POTION KEGS!

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

Ronk wrote:There was an orc who had his account 'hacked' twice. I put hacked in quotes because as a software developer I don't consider most things hacking.

At any rate, somehow, it happened twice. We all suggested that hte person do a virus scan, change passwords, and contact Derrick. As far as I know nothing ever came of it. Seems to me it should be really easy to trace and solve.

In addition, I think its completely stupid to allow three accounts AND sharing of accounts. The three account limit should be three accounts. If you have and use 3 accounts, then you better not log into someone elses account. Sadly, as far as I know its not this way policy wise thus you get people who have '3 accounts' but access to 15.
in regards to using someone elses accounts i been told by staff that " you are not allowed to farm the world" on someone elses account and have seen accounts banned for doing as such. have also seen people use other peoples accounts to get around event bans and resulted in punishment as well. so really what i make of the situation is you cant someone elses account as your own maybe log in and setup macros / refresh a house cant really play them as your own though at least that's my understanding of the situation from asking staff members about this topic.
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Lady Ivy

Post by Lady Ivy »

Omnicron wrote:
LifeForce wrote:so, what exactly was fixed?

A break-in method for towers was fixed.

Just so you know a similar method of getting through lock down tables in towers exists on this shard. BeatingU actually showed me this method and another for breaking into castles and keeps with use of boats though he left out key parts of the exploit. Keep ur tower locked. Dock boats outside you're keeps and castles if water is near. Exploits everywhere though no one will take 30 seconds out of their day to warn you about them. I do not blame staff of this server I know they are overwhelmed with all the trash they have to look after. Nor am I upset that 2 years of game play is gone, I consider it a favor that was done to me. New motivation to move further through life, motivation for change. It takes great courage and discipline to turn a negative into a positive. I am like a rubber band to be stretched and then return to my original form. Enjoy what you got whoever you are, I hope it brings you happiness.
I agree that there is exploit(s) out there still for breaking into certain types of houses. I can vouch for castles being able to be broken into (bypassing certain defenses) as I watched this happen at mine. This wasn't a case of an unlocked door/table or a missing table/blocking item as the perp was able to get themselves in a spot that would require, in my situation, opening a door and unlocking trash can/tables/chests. I DH 2-3 times before continuing into my houses without fail. I tried to recreate what I saw the perp do, but was unable to duplicate it. It was reported to the Staff. Though this was done recently, I'm unsure if it's fixed or not.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

I detect hidden as well. I attributed my house being looted to someone who had an auto hide on reveal macro. In other words, when I revealed their razor immediately detected that via the system message and auto hid. Since detect and hide are the same timer you could never reveal.

Of course, i would imagine I woulda saw them appear briefly but ive never really looked into it, just an assumption.
------------------
Historic Bloodrock

OhSnap
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by OhSnap »

Ronk wrote:I detect hidden as well. I attributed my house being looted to someone who had an auto hide on reveal macro. In other words, when I revealed their razor immediately detected that via the system message and auto hid. Since detect and hide are the same timer you could never reveal.

Of course, i would imagine I woulda saw them appear briefly but ive never really looked into it, just an assumption.
If you successfully detect a hidden player, there will be no message. But if you detect hidden and there is nothing hidden, a sys message will say "You can see nothing hidden there". Also, you could use the skill detect hidden but hold onto the targeting cursor for 10 seconds, reveal the hidden person, then immediately use the skill again. Easy fix

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

OhSnap wrote:
Ronk wrote:I detect hidden as well. I attributed my house being looted to someone who had an auto hide on reveal macro. In other words, when I revealed their razor immediately detected that via the system message and auto hid. Since detect and hide are the same timer you could never reveal.

If you successfully detect a hidden player, there will be no message. But if you detect hidden and there is nothing hidden, a sys message will say "You can see nothing hidden there". Also, you could use the skill detect hidden but hold onto the targeting cursor for 10 seconds, reveal the hidden person, then immediately use the skill again. Easy fix
yeah, a few things I know but the tips are appreciated.
------------------
Historic Bloodrock

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

I have been doing a lot of research on these house exploits, but have been unsuccessful so far. There were a few ways to get into houses freely back in the day, but it looks like they have all been fixed on this shard.

I will continue my research and hopefully we can fix it if there is anything wrong.