The Magincia Beach Giveaway

Post your player run event here.
Forum rules
Please make the topic as descriptive and concise as possible. If your event has not been changed to sticky or announce and you would like it to be, please contact a staff member. Announced events, which show up on our main website Must include the event date in the topic title.
Theograd

The Magincia Beach Giveaway

Post by Theograd »

Hello all. Outside of refreshing buildings, I haven't played at all in what I think is two months. I don't think my owning buildings is for the best of the shard considering I currently have some nice real estate so I've decided to give it away.

I own three of the four small houses on Magincia Beach. I had bought them with the intention of opening a vendor mall of sorts to bring some more traffic to the island, but two kids and Minecraft sapped all my desire to play. So here is what I propose.

Give me your ideas for what you would do with one of the houses to bring more traffic to Magincia. The three ideas that most amuse or intrigue me win one of the three houses. I'll have to take you at your word that you'd at least attempt your idea should you win, but I figure I'd have at least done my part to enhance the shard.

There's not much in the way of rules.

One idea per house. Cannot have an idea that involves multiple houses. Multiple people can attempt to pool their ideas, but I will judge each house individually and not as a package deal. I will decide at random which of the three houses to give each winner.

I'll choose the winners on Friday, August 26th at about 11pm EST. I will then try to transfer the houses to the winners that weekend.

Best of luck to you, and thanks for all the fun.

Edit: Please post ideas in the thread rather than PM, if only so I can see them all in the same place when I go to make my decisions. Thanks!
Last edited by Theograd on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Caliban

Re: The Magincia Beach Giveaway

Post by Caliban »

Nothing amusing or especially intriguing about my idea I'm afraid but since it's in line with your original plan I'll offer them up.

I currently run a vendor half way between Vesper and Minoc, not the best of locations but it's going ok so far (just got back from 2 weeks holiday so I need to check what state he's in). I'm on the lookout for a better location and this fits the bill so if I was lucky enough to win one of the houses I would relocate my shop here and do my best to bring in customers. I mainly sell magic weapons/armor but I have an alchemist in development and plans to add runebooks to the inventory after that, only been back in UO for a few months so things are very much a work in progress.

I would be happy to work with any other potential vendors moving to the area so we could coordinate our offerings if a vendor mall was the intention.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=30331

ehafh

Post by ehafh »

i've been looking for a spot to open a fortune tellers hut.

complete with a miss cleo character.

CALL ME NOW!!!!!!!

“Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke.”
- Will Rogers

mrbojangles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by mrbojangles »

I will maintain them as a piece of UOSA history by leaving one of the best vendor locations on the server semi-vacant for the next 3 years.
Omar Little(irc) / Mr Bojangles / Bowie / Snake Plisken / Martin Van Buren / Dirty Ore

Visit the The Yew Gate Shop for everything you need.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Good try Bojangles.

Theo, a shame to see you leave, again. We will miss you, my friend.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

orevamp

Post by orevamp »

I'm a first time player been at it about 7 months and I wanna try and run a vendor, I would do it there!

dren
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dren »

Dear Theograd,

If you give me a Magincia shop (it will be linked to S&S Moonglow, Yew, Minoc, and Britain), the Merchants of Britainnia will regularly maintain all vendors there and keep them well stocked with brand new/legitimate items as we do with all our other Stop & Shops. As you know we have some of the most reputable vendors and members on the server, and some of our newer guys have been wanting to own their own vendor shop. If I received the shop I would most definitely hand it over to one of our newer guys to run, and all interested parties in our whole guild would place vendors there.... The shop would be given under the condition that if he/she no longer wanted to run it/ or quits UO he would have to hand over to another person in guild. This way the shop would always be maintained as an area for people to come and shop at on UOSA.

For one of our shopping areas we are planning a book vendor where we will have a range of prices for mules/crafters, as well as other tips and general information (how to get started/tools needed/etc.) for new crafters to help them get started on UOSA. The prices of the books will be extremely fair and reasonable (close to NPC price); however, I can't say for sure that Magincia will be the place where we put this book vendor, but there is a good chance that we might place it in this location... either way, the Magincia shop would be linked to the Shop/Library/book vendor area. In a short period of time we will also be linking our shops to a FULL tower rune library & vendor mall which will be public and it will have all the locations you want from a rune Library -- something similar to the $$$ Rune Library in Moonglow. Having a shop in Magincia would complete one town in the collection of towns for the Merchants of Britannia shops. We would like to have at least one shop in each town.

Thanks for your consideration,
Dren
Last edited by dren on Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Fit: Alderman, Merchants of Britannia: Proudly serving UOSA for more than 160 Sosarian years.

jekkis
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by jekkis »

Hello Theograd,

first of all I'd like to say that you yourself have come up with a very creative competition. Anyway, to my idea.

Allow me to introduce myself: I am Sean Martik, an aspiring merchant and a grandmaster lumberjack. Over the few weeks, I have had a rough time believing how cheap boards sell for and I feel lumberjacks across Britannia do not get the appreciation they deserve. Specializing in skills such as lumberjacking do not much yield you fame or karma, so it is very difficult to boast an impressive title like many of the skilled warriors or other adventurers do.

I, however, have set one of my goals to be improving the reputation of all trade, but lumberjacking in particular. Winning a house in this competition will definitely help this goal - no, I do not intend to use it as a lumberjacking hut. I have much, much grander plans that will keep players interested in the location for months to come, help nearby vendors grow a customer base, and increase traffic in Magincia.

I hereby promise that if the house is not filled with 1,000,000 boards - yes that is one million boards, by December 31st, I will donate the house forward. Probably the fair thing to do is to give it to whoever was a runner-up in this competition. If that information is not available at the time, I will hold a Christmas competition for it. I shall gather all this lumber by my own hands, not buy or receive donations for it. This way I intend to show everyone here what a hard-working bunch we merchants are, regardless of how we run from fights or stay in the safety of our houses and towns.

By keeping the house open, I will allow players to track my progress and see if I'm even close to reaching the goal. Now I understand the lot of you want to ask what is interesting in a house filled with boards? Besides being thrilled whether I can make it to my goal or not, people visiting to see how I'm doing are of course possible customers to vendors in Magincia, especially if the other houses you are donating are turned into vendor houses. So my idea works in synergy with that in particular, and boosts their sales. So there is definitely an increase of traffic to the area in addition to watching a merchant struggle to fill his promise. That is what we merchants constantly do: we struggle to satisfy the needs of our many demanding customers.

Also, there is also the possibility of the house being donated forwards during Christmas holidays if I do not reach my goal, so there's a lot of incentive for everyone to stay interested.

Given the publicity of your competition alone, the project I am going to undertake should have very much interest from the beginning.

P.S. No matter what the other houses are turned into, my house will serve refreshments for everyone to enjoy. This is a reminder that even the most hard-working lumberjacks do need to sit down and enjoy an ale every now and then. So in other words: free beer.

Regards,

jekkis

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

Great contest by the way Theograd!

I believe that these are in the perfect spot for new player starter homes! They are basically in the city, have easy access to the water for fishing and sailing, and there is a great spawn rate to the west where they can fight corpsers and such for gold!

How I would use each home:

Home #1
I would use the first house for new player housing. They would have to put in an application and would have a maximum stay time of 2 months. New players that come in a group will have first dibs on the home. This will allow them to store items and basically learn how the housing system works with little threat of being griefed as the location is very safe.

Home #2
Will be a weapons and armor depot. I would place regular armor and weapons along with some magic ruin and might items. These items would be available to anyone, but are intended for new players. There will also be a few resourses such as bandages and other items that these players may need to help them get started.

Home #3
This would be a ruin library that are perfect for new players. It will consist of all of the lower level dungeons and every town. Mining and other resource gathering locations. The main feature of this house will be that all of the books will be constantly stocked with charges to help those with lower magery. Recall scrolls will be provided in this house as well for those that may need a few extra.

I think this will really help the player base here and hopefully create some long time players to the shard.

Bloodrock Announcer

Post by Bloodrock Announcer »

Deer umie dat smelz ika fulowerz,

Ee lib en eb durk wule en da dezert. Manie urks ika da dezert buh sumtyme dat juz ezent gud nuf fur uz. Da breedur urk sumtyme ika ta gud faw ewai en cee da rez ub da wurld. Dis houz uu hab un da beech wuh mayk en gud plaz fur da urk breedurs ta gu ta wit der klerg'rs. Ee tinken da bez uz fur duz houz iz ta mayk urk breeden growndz, wai uu azk umie? Cuz sumtyme urk goh ta git eb lub un da beech uu know dat umie, uu hab breedur ta? Nee wai diz wul ee da unlee urk spoz un da whu izlend, da izland nee urk prezyanc en ullzo plaz ta uz ur buhotz. Da breedurz kan gu ta zuutah towurz ta git der lub. Ho ho

Gid ta belok en ee choom uu fur fee umie

Dabu
SIGNATURE by repomanr85, on Flickr

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

jekkis wrote: By keeping the house open, I will allow players to track my progress and see if I'm even close to reaching the goal. Now I understand the lot of you want to ask what is interesting in a house filled with boards? Besides being thrilled whether I can make it to my goal or not, people visiting to see how I'm doing are of course possible customers to vendors in Magincia, especially if the other houses you are donating are turned into vendor houses. So my idea works in synergy with that in particular, and boosts their sales. So there is definitely an increase of traffic to the area in addition to watching a merchant struggle to fill his promise. That is what we merchants constantly do: we struggle to satisfy the needs of our many demanding customers.

Robbbb wrote: Home #3
This would be a ruin library that are perfect for new players.
Rob you are usually such a good guy why would you want to ruin new players?

Bloodrock Announcer wrote:Deer umie dat smelz ika fulowerz,

Ee lib en eb durk wule en da dezert. Manie urks ika da dezert buh sumtyme dat juz ezent gud nuf fur uz. Da breedur urk sumtyme ika ta gud faw ewai en cee da rez ub da wurld. Dis houz uu hab un da beech wuh mayk en gud plaz fur da urk breedurs ta gu ta wit der klerg'rs. Ee tinken da bez uz fur duz houz iz ta mayk urk breeden growndz, wai uu azk umie? Cuz sumtyme urk goh ta git eb lub un da beech uu know dat umie, uu hab breedur ta? Nee wai diz wul ee da unlee urk spoz un da whu izlend, da izland nee urk prezyanc en ullzo plaz ta uz ur buhotz. Da breedurz kan gu ta zuutah towurz ta git der lub. Ho ho

Gid ta belok en ee choom uu fur fee umie

Dabu

Someone add bloodrock orcish to google please.
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

dren
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by dren »

Wise, let me translate.

I'm not an expert on Urkish but I suspect this is a fairly accurate translation; I did do some cultural studies there in the desert of compassion. :)

Dear Humans that Smell Like Flowers,
The Urks rule the desert. Many Urks like the desert, but sometimes it's just not good enough. The breeder urks sometimes like to travel around the rest of the world. This house on the beach would make a good breeding area for "breedurs" to get with the "klerg'rs." They think a Magincia beach house, would make a good Urk breeding ground. Why? Sometimes Urk's got to get their lovin` on the beach, humans know that the beach is good for makin lovin` since we like to have sex on the beach too? So this would be the only Urk spot on the whole island, and the Urk would prance around and make love to each other. As far as humans wanting lovin`on Magincia beach, well they can go to the Urk tower in the desert of compassion to get their lovin`.

(Edited a bit and improved for accuracy) :)
Last edited by dren on Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fit: Alderman, Merchants of Britannia: Proudly serving UOSA for more than 160 Sosarian years.

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

dren wrote:Wise, let me translate.

I'm not an expert on Urkish but I suspect this is a fairly accurate translation; I did do some cultural studies there in the desert of compassion. :)

The Urks want to travel around the land outside of the desert of compassion, sometimes it's just not good enough. They'd like to make this house a breeding area on Magincia beach, so they can prance around and make love to each other. This beach would be the only Urk spot on the whole island, and as far as humans wanting lovin` -- they can go to the Urk tower in the desert of compassion to get their lovin`.
Thanks Dren. LOL at your studies and Dabu's entire post.
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

akumaizer
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by akumaizer »

Though I see a rune library was suggested, I will post here what I had PM'd to Theograd on 8/21, not long after he posted it. I just came back to the thread and saw that he edited it to say not to do that. So here is what I sent him: :)
akumaizer wrote:Hail Theograd.

I wasn't sure if you wanted them posted in the thread or PMd, or if it mattered.

It's very cool that you are having this giveaway. I've actually thought about those houses before and how they are more or less in the guardzone (not really but nobody would mess with you there being so close). I also knew that $$$ had owned several of them and I always thought it was too bad that something cool wasn't done with them. So ok... the idea I always had:

I think they would make an amazing rune library. I know that a small isn't the best for those because of only 25 lockdowns, but I think you could get all of the basic stuff in one. However, I can say that if I owned one of those, I would work hard to try to acquire more of them from whoever ends up getting them. I have always thought that all of those houses together would make an amazing library and would work hard to make that happen. It's not that outlandish or funny or an idea, but I think it is practical and would work well.

I have been playing UOSA for nearly two years without taking any breaks. I have never let a house fall, not even close. Thank you for your consideration.

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

I would turn one into the headquarters for a female character only bikini beach death match contest/league. Only reagents and no other items allowed. Contestants to run around in various match formats (1v1, 2v2, etc.) in their UO birthday suits casting spells on each other until there is only one player/team left. Prizes will be donated at first and when the even picks up steam, participation will include a fee which will be distributed completely to the winner/winners (no profit for the organizer). A more though out process for rules and prizes will be thought out if I will be one of the winners :D
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠