Racism Generally Accepted?

This is the place for Screenshots and Razor Packet Video Uploads 15MB max on RPV's
Forum rules
Please if you haven't, make an account on myUOSA: http://my.uosecondage.com and Submit some pics!
You can also associate images with your character pages there.
Mongbaticus

Racism Generally Accepted?

Post by Mongbaticus »

First time posting here, completely new to this server. However I got some questions. In concern to the moderation of this shard, it's run pretty well a great crew when it comes to developing. However the players on this shard are getting out of hand I think.

The other day my wife was playing, this being her first time, she ran into Pug, yeah we all know pug. However that wasn't the problem i got items and money. The problem was when she asked someone named Stalin for help and he called her an I quote "niggr" As I recall this stalin fellow also called my other alt the same thing when he decided he didn't want to talk to me. A little uncalled for neh?

Now I'm running into more and more racism and gender biased comments across the shard. Now don't get me wrong, I love a good trash talking. But letting players run around and use Race Gender or other Contraversial topics to harass other players is something that should be highly frowned upon. For instance the player Weedsmoke with the title "KILL WHITEY ASS". This isn't freedom of speech, this is flat out racism. I've seen lawsuits over comments like these online. Whats being done, or do we support racism?
Attachments
Weedsmoke telling it to the white man
Weedsmoke telling it to the white man

Grim

Re: Racism Generally Accepted?

Post by Grim »

its probably some 15 yr old kid acting like an idiot and even in real life ppl call each other the same shit as jokes best thing to do is just put him on ignore through the ingame feature that is why its there

Coffee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Coffee »

I think more people should be "telling it to the white man."

Also, I have no clue who Pug is.

Mongbaticus

Post by Mongbaticus »

I suppose I'm not really looking for help on how to ignore those individuals. That's easy. The fact that all we're doing is ignoring them is probably what bothers me most. I'm sure game moderators have plenty of power to enforce rules. My question is posed mainly toward them. What are they doing to prevent this kind of "Racism is ok if you turn your head" mentality from taking over? Why should we have to even put up with it, none the less allow ignorant players who want to make racist comments to get away with that sort of behaviour? Ignoring racism on this shard and not taking action against it not only is bad for the shard but it encourages those who do it to continue doing it without repercussions.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

Have you ever played any online video game before?

90% of this is just stupid kids saying stupid crap to sound tough or just to make people mad.

I'm not on staff, but I suspect that the policy is simply that they have better things to do that monitor what people are saying as long as they are not spamming a high traffic area like WBB. And, I think, that is how it should be. After all, public shaming by players is a much better tool for dealing with these sorts of things, not to mention potentially funny.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2726

Be sure to see the apology set of screenshots!

Slade

Post by Slade »

Mongbaticus wrote:First time posting here, completely new to this server. However I got some questions. In concern to the moderation of this shard, it's run pretty well a great crew when it comes to developing. However the players on this shard are getting out of hand I think.

The other day my wife was playing, this being her first time, she ran into Pug, yeah we all know pug. However that wasn't the problem i got items and money. The problem was when she asked someone named Stalin for help and he called her an I quote "niggr" As I recall this stalin fellow also called my other alt the same thing when he decided he didn't want to talk to me. A little uncalled for neh?

Now I'm running into more and more racism and gender biased comments across the shard. Now don't get me wrong, I love a good trash talking. But letting players run around and use Race Gender or other Contraversial topics to harass other players is something that should be highly frowned upon. For instance the player Weedsmoke with the title "KILL WHITEY ASS". This isn't freedom of speech, this is flat out racism. I've seen lawsuits over comments like these online. Whats being done, or do we support racism?

Welcome to the internet, my friend. I believe the cause of the things you cite here is quite simply, anonymity.

If you let these morons bother you, you're only hurting yourself.

99.993% of internet users are idiots. The other 6 of us have a club though, if you and your wife would like to join I'll send you a pamphlet.

To your follow-up post:

Anything that we do to curb this behavior can be circumvented. It's pissing in the wind to try and remove these people from a free server.

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

I use to GM a WoW guild, and had these so-called "females" in the earlier development days of my group. I kicked all of them out for obvious reasons.
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink:

ScoobyDoO

Post by ScoobyDoO »

The internet is a place where men are men, women are men and little boys are the FBI.

Teknix
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Teknix »

they do this because they can do it with so with ananimity. i took a rhetoric of cyberculture class at UT Austin and we really got into how online communities and the persona's people act out or play.

you can pretty much say anything without any reprocutions.
chumbucket wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:chum RPs a thief
Roleplays?!?

Clyde-

Post by Clyde- »

As long as people keep making a big deal about it, it will never go away. People make such a big deal about racist remarks it creates far more chaos than necessary. Shut up.
-cr3w-

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

Clyde- wrote:As long as people keep making a big deal about it, it will never go away. People make such a big deal about racist remarks it creates far more chaos than necessary. Shut up.
You callin me black?
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink:

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Eh...in my opinion everyone needs to grow some thick skin. I make tons of racial jokes around my friends (not online, but im an orc, so..). They get the best reactions and are the most fun. Doesn't mean im a racist.

So if you start policing racial words toward black people what about others?

Toward females?
Asian?
People calling people fags, queer, etc?
Orcish taunts?

The great thing about ultima online is that you have the freedom to do what you want. If you wanna kill a person for calling you a name, do it. Or you can ignore them. Just like in real life.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

We don't have the resources to patrol speech unless it is spamming in public places as chum mentioned and even then we would have to be alerted to it; this is not the best use of our time. We officially recommend that people activate the "bad word filter" in their client if they are easily offended.

platy

Post by platy »

UO once banned accounts for males creating female chars... :shock:

Clyde-

Post by Clyde- »

lol seriously?
-cr3w-