Ghosts & Houses

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Sandro

Ghosts & Houses

Post by Sandro »

I see there was a ninja patch that disabled the ability to see house decay status as a ghost..

Eager to hear the NEA reason this was changed..
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Ghosts & Houses

Post by applejack »

Young man I don't know if I like your tone!

EDIT:
Above was my original statement as stands. By the words I used it seemed clear to me that it was made with tongue firmly planted in cheek. I had no intention of derailing. That said, while I do the original post brings a valid question I do think that it's counter-productive to phrase it in a snide accusatory way.
Last edited by applejack on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Last edited by Telamon on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Telamon wrote:
applejack wrote:Young man I don't know if I like your tone!
[09:35] <chainsoar> hey applejack you know you can see ~~ redacted ~~ right
[09:35] <@applejack> yeah
[09:36] <@applejack> problem is if you bring up shit like that you could get in trouble
[09:36] <chainsoar> yeah I'm not gonna bring it up in main
[09:36] <chainsoar> obviously
[09:36] <chainsoar> or the forums
[09:36] <@applejack> i wouldnt even privately
[09:37] <chainsoar> or that

The irony of the #cA forum police, abusing the GM's trust since 1999.
Can we please try to keep the off-topic cursing and trash talk to the Trash Talk forum?

Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Last edited by Telamon on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

No, you missed the point.

Applejack made a joke, and you used it as an opportunity to bring up some petty squabble you have with him. Please don't drag me into your BS; it's a waste of my time and hopefully someday you'll realize it's a waste of yours too.

Vega/Delo

Post by Vega/Delo »

Era acc or not, this change was a great idea. No afk watchin of houses with no risk. If goes back to being active, then how bout we get server acc by making chars log out after so long of inactivity.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Can still see the decay status of boats, but not houses.

What an interesting NEA change this has been
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

Telamon wrote:On a relevant note I would like to see the reasoning behind the change in relation to ERA accuracy.

Personally I support the change, and suspect the reasons why it was done. But with all the hardcore ERA accuracy policies of late its an odd change without a patch.

All the people Matron trained on how to use a certain unauthorized program on UOSA without being detected will now have to click house signs with live characters.
Actually, it was possible to check house signs AFK with a ghost using only Razor.

During the era I used to run around and check house decay all over the world as a ghost. At the time I never had the idea of AFK checking it and screenshotting to see when it went from greatly to IDOC in order to have a proper timeframe for collapse. But it occured to me to do it on UOSA when I played about two years ago and after working on the harder-than-it-looked problem for a few days, I solved it.

I hate that this was changed. Just discovered it yesterday which led to the search that found this thread today. I thought the idea was always era-accuracy, regardless of what that meant, and honestly that's what made me fall in love with UOSA. Because it's not even a slippery slope, it's a downhill drop. Once you start thinking that it's okay to change things here and there and "we know best", it becomes easier to keep on doing it.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Sandro wrote:I see there was a ninja patch that disabled the ability to see house decay status as a ghost..

Eager to hear the NEA reason this was changed..
From what I remember this was changed (or should have been implemented) a long time ago because a certain group of IDOCers were using ghosts repeatedly clicking signs + journal timestamps to predict almost exactly when a house would collapse.
Telamon wrote:Personally I support the change, and suspect the reasons why it was done. But with all the hardcore ERA accuracy policies of late its an odd change without a patch.
Ignorance is bliss.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

Hicha wrote:From what I remember this was changed (or should have been implemented) a long time ago because a certain group of IDOCers were using ghosts repeatedly clicking signs + journal timestamps to predict almost exactly when a house would collapse.
As I said in the post just before yours, that's exactly what I personally did but it didn't take any illegal third-party programs to do it, just Razor. And using ghosts to check house decay was era-accurate.
Telamon wrote:Personally I support the change, and suspect the reasons why it was done. But with all the hardcore ERA accuracy policies of late its an odd change without a patch.
You can find people who will support any change. Two minute timer on recall after fight, one account limit, five account limit, server wipe, soulstones, whatever... people even supported Trammel. Support does not make an idea either bad or good. It still reads on the home page -

Since inception, the goal, vision and rationale of even creating this accurate T2A era shard has been very simple but unique:

We aim to replicate the T2A era as best we can and within technical limitations as a whole.
We do not intend to ever change any aspect of normal game play to particularly favor any play style or to protect or further expose any players to the in-game risk that was a large part of this era.
We will especially not pull aspects of other eras into this one, even with an overwhelming demand of players.

We believe that "proper" game play can only be achieved by taking the era as a whole and accept it for what it was. Tampering with the era in hope of achieving balance is not something that we will do, nor do we believe is achievable across all play styles. Diversity of players and play styles is a necessity of a healthy shard. Every type of play depends on another, and this is why UO is absolutely the greatest MMORPG ever crafted.

With that said, we do still continue to strive to become more correct and true to the era. Player feedback and research is a big part of this process. We don't claim to have everything perfect yet, but we do continue to actively work towards that goal.

Guerrilla

Post by Guerrilla »

Interesting thread...
Halleluyah
<DemonArkanis> hopefully ill go to hell and not have to listen to your bullshit

Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Last edited by Telamon on Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EVeee
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by EVeee »

Telamon wrote:As a ghost you cannot use skills or interact with the world in any way. So the only way a ghost could be clicking a house sign was with some unapproved program. (Razor cannot single click) I always monitored house signs with live characters since I needed to be able to use a skill. I knew that anytime I saw a ghost watching a house decay that they were using some sort of 3rd party application in a risk free manner to find out when the house would collapse.
Since I've never used any UO cheat programs, I'm sure that it wasn't that. Before I could tell you what I did, I'd have to rediscover my answer all over again. And since it's no longer possible at all, I can't do that. I'm not arguing about Razor's capabilities; I just don't remember what I did and can't recreate it.
Last edited by EVeee on Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Sandro.exe nerfed?
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS