First time PKed in over a Decade

Share stories and special moments with the community.
Nystal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

First time PKed in over a Decade

Post by Nystal »

As someone who has dabbled in UOSA since first signing up, was finally making some progress with my bard in Destard last night...

Then out of the corner of my eye, I see a gate open and two reds come barrelling out.
Gone were the skills of old I had for dealing with this scenario, I felt like a helpless deer being hunted by two wolves and all I could remember from all that pvp from years ago was "run left", while spamming my recall "oh crap" macro.

Suffice to say, didn't make it far.
I was still happy though, I got a free adrenaline rush and they left my horse alone and ressed me for a meagre bounty. Even got left with enough to recall home.

Ahh UO.. how i've missed you :)
Europa: 1998 - 2002 (NEW, ^I^, Grd)
UOSA: 2009 - Present (OLD (Retired), ^I^ (GM))

LudKrud

Re: First time PKed in over a Decade

Post by LudKrud »

Spell reflect up always.......recall when you see red,99% of the time gets you out safe.

On the other hand going back after I bank the loot to try and kill them always seems to get me a case of dead.....

Nystal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Nystal »

Funny thing was - I thought I had. I guess one of the Dragons had knocked it off me.
Good thing I was only starting a farm instead of hanging around.

I missed this though, the sense of danger, no half dozing or i'll be caught off guard. Newer games have dulled my reflexes!
This is how it should be.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Nystal wrote:Funny thing was - I thought I had. I guess one of the Dragons had knocked it off me.
Good thing I was only starting a farm instead of hanging around.

I missed this though, the sense of danger, no half dozing or i'll be caught off guard. Newer games have dulled my reflexes!
This is how it should be.
Good to see someone with the appropriate perspective on things. Welcome to the shard.

-L/S
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Aye, a good attitude indeed. I'm also glad you spelled your name with an 'a'. My tank mage Nystul would be jealous otherwise. :P
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Panjialang

Post by Panjialang »

hey guys, my first post on this forum!

i am a new player, about two months in. i have noticed exactly what you are talking about. when i am fighting mobs in [wont say where], i notice periodically a bunch of reds will shoot in, gank the hell out of me, and then tell my ghost to leave them a bounty. the first time i didnt but the rezzed me anyway, and gave me all my stuff back except my gold. the second time i bountied them 1 gp each, to which one exclaimed "yeah! i got a bounty!" like some dumb teenager who got a handjob or something. then they rezzed me and gave *most* of my stuff back. killed my horse both times.

this seems to be some kind of systematic thing, like they are "farming farmers." my guess is that they have every single hunting place in britainnia marked, and like clockwork they just fly around the world killing everyone and taking their stuff. can anyone confirm?

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Panjialang wrote:hey guys, my first post on this forum!

this seems to be some kind of systematic thing, like they are "farming farmers." my guess is that they have every single hunting place in britainnia marked, and like clockwork they just fly around the world killing everyone and taking their stuff. can anyone confirm?
This is the standard tactic. When you compare the PK's game play style to somebody who wants to be strictly PVM you must consider yourself as a wild spawn. Due to life on the shard, the spawn rate can be rather slow (imagine waiting 15-30 minutes for one lich to spawn).

So some of the most common tactics I've seen from PK's and PvPers* alike are
1. Cycle through all the hot spots
2. Plant a ghost spy and watch hot areas (like Cove Liches)
3. Run around on a blue character and attack you even though they aren't red.

When I first started I thought that most of the Pk'ers ran used the 2nd tactic, but I have found that is not used as much as I thought at first. The 1st option is actually what I find occurs more often, and the PK's have just become so efficient at it, that it seems like they have a ghost spy constantly planted. Typically most death squads will have a high level tracker with them, they will recall in from several screens away, and track. If you are found, then they will rush in and slaughter you. If there is nobody there, they move on to the next hot spot.

Really Cove Liches is the only place I've found that is actually constantly watched by ghosts.

If you don't want to learn to fight, (or if you are constantly outnumbered) I've found the best tactic is frequent recall. collect 500-1,000 gold recall and dump. Repeat this process the entire time and then even if they do get you, you will only be losing like 500 gold and you will in the long run prevail enough to replace what they take and stash up enough gold for your needs.

*PvP'ers are usually looking for a fight with any another person; they will typically only attack Grey (criminal) or red players, however, in my opinion PvPers can often be more unpredictable than PK's because they can show up blue and then depending on how bored they are they may leave you alone or they may assault you.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Light Shade wrote:Good to see someone with the appropriate perspective on things. Welcome to the shard.
Since he is so humble I will enlighten him as to who it was who ran him down..

[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Clearly if someone is saying bounty for rez. Its the Sandro/Shallow/Dig stat pk crew. They roll in a pack of angry buffalo wings! Dont feel bad tho.. They are very good at this 3 vs 1 plot... As they are mad at the world because the tourney system is currently down. They have to take their anger out on one man at a time. These guys seem to have a monopoly on this game are are a good success. My suggestion to you is.. Next time your out hunting and you see a random character running around.. Recall out of that spot and go somewhere else. Because 90% of the time a pack of murderous buffalo are incoming to drench you with tasty elite hot sauce. Good luck with your journeys!

TheRealParadise

Post by TheRealParadise »

Oh baby I'm so excited to be playing a game as ruthless as old school uo. Glad to be back.

Nystal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Nystal »

Sandro wrote:
Light Shade wrote:Good to see someone with the appropriate perspective on things. Welcome to the shard.
Since he is so humble I will enlighten him as to who it was who ran him down..

Hah! Well played Sir :)
I'm also honored you took a killshot!

Next time.... well, I'll die slightly less horribly! :)

Eastwood

Post by Eastwood »

Winning attitude Nystal,

Welcome to UOSA
Catskills 97-99

Higler

Post by Higler »

Couldn't agree more great attitude, Havent even been on this server 24 hours and already finding people being a great sport about PKs! Can't wait to be in the frey and back in oldschool uo, i feel like a little kid on christmas eve waiting for the morning to open all those juicy presents! And to know I have people that could potentially be a formidable foe in sandro and his crew makes it all the more exciting. How is the PK love here, PK v PK? or do we co-operate against these vile blue creatures?
"All Kill = No Skill Newb!" random angry kid

"Damn DP dex monkey, I couldn't heal!" captain obvious, another angry kid

"Damn garbage spam me harm! learn new spell" Courage of Chessapeak

LudKrud

Post by LudKrud »

Its pretty much cliquey here...Unless they are good friends the PKs dont normally team up unless its at the brit GY for a few minutes.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

LudKrud wrote:Its pretty much cliquey here...Unless they are good friends the PKs dont normally team up unless its at the brit GY for a few minutes.
I remember when some of the Anti-Guilds were rolling together on hunts, sometimes 10-15 people at a time, that the PK's would team up to fight them. That was fun to see all the people that "hated" each other working together to kill the blues.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro