Help?

Moderator: Support Moderators

ClawlessVictory

Help?

Post by ClawlessVictory »

Man, I was told this game is hard, and that's no exaggeration...

Just a few questions:

1. Is it not possible to just create a mage and start killing stuff? I tried that and couldn't even kill a bunny.

2. Is there a friend's list or anything? I met a few cool people who tried to help me out, but I lost contact with them.

3. Not really a question... I just lost EVERYTHING, a Dureg (???) snuck up and killed me while I was killing Hinds, died again trying to retrieve my corpse, come back later and lost all of my chainmail, ALL of my regeants, the hard-earned 120 gold, etc.

What the HELL am I doing wrong? I really wanted to like this game, but it's definitely not kind to noobs...

chainsoar

Re: Help?

Post by chainsoar »

ClawlessVictory wrote:Man, I was told this game is hard, and that's no exaggeration...

Just a few questions:

1. Is it not possible to just create a mage and start killing stuff? I tried that and couldn't even kill a bunny.

2. Is there a friend's list or anything? I met a few cool people who tried to help me out, but I lost contact with them.

3. Not really a question... I just lost EVERYTHING, a Dureg (???) snuck up and killed me while I was killing Hinds, died again trying to retrieve my corpse, come back later and lost all of my chainmail, ALL of my regeants, the hard-earned 120 gold, etc.

What the HELL am I doing wrong? I really wanted to like this game, but it's definitely not kind to noobs...
1. Not really, magery is expensive and fairly time-consuming to raise to a decent level and doesn't work the way it does in ie; Diablo or something like that where you shoot monsters with 150 dmg fireballs to kill them. You're better off killing monsters with a sword.

2. There's no ingame friends list but we have the forums and irc. You can join irc by clicking the link on the homepage.

3. Yup. That'll happen. By the way Dureg is an npc orc name.
Braden wrote:I was getting ready to type a serious reply to this post until I saw who posted it.
[Uhh] Eo wrote:If there is one thing I am a fan of, it is exploring foreign holes.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Jump on IRC channel #C^V and/or #DG and we'll help you start out.

To join our channels, when in IRC, simply type: /join #C^V
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Hallytosis

Post by Hallytosis »

Don't get discouraged... getting started definitely takes some time.

ClawlessVictory

Not giving up...

So I've got a fairly adequate character started and I can kill zombies, skeletons and ghouls with little trouble. But now what should I do? I'm not a member of a guild or anything, not sure what skills I should invest in, about to fall asleep from boredom fighting the same three monster types over and over to farm gold.

A little guidance would be helpful.

Also, I'm a grandmaster shepherd. Great. Can I remove all the points I wasted in this skill and apply them to something else?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Yes you can!! (and you should!) Open your skills scroll, and find herding, on the right there's an arrow, click on it until it points down.

It looks like you're going the warrior way. A good basic template for a warrior is:
[Weapon Skill]
Anatomy
Tactics
Healing
Resisting Spells

And two (or a combination) of the following:
Parry
Hiding
Magery
Tracking
Meditation
Archery
(or any other!)

I reiterate what I said before, for a little guidance: jump on IRC channel #C^V and/or #DG and we'll help you start out.

To join our channels, when in IRC, simply type: /join #C^V

To join IRC click on the link at the very top left hand side of this page that says: Open IRC Chat Window

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

As Pirul has said, join IRC. Then people can help you in real-time. You might even be able to meet up with guilds going on a hunt and they can help you out. :)

-L/S
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

ClawlessVictory

Thanks for the great advice, guys. I've jumped on IRC a few times and received a bit of help, I'll join the C^V room soon.

Okay, so here's where I stand:

I can take down liches, ogres and trolls no sweat.

I joined up with the Blue Moon Guild, a great, helpful bunch.

Now, I have a bit of wanderlust. I journeyed from Moonglow to Vesper and was quickly jumped upon by a band of thieves trying to steal my hard-earned reagents, bandages, gold, etc. Quite a tricky lot, they swiped the reagents required to cast Recall and Teleport, barely made it out alive.

So I have a few questions regarding safety. What should and shouldn't I do when exploring the world? Any safeguards I should employ? Obviously, one shouldn't carry around all of is most valuable possessions when traveling. What else?

When I'm being robbed in a city, for example, should I treat the bastard to a taste of my blade? Will the guards kill me for it? Will I likely die for being such a noob?

Any advice is welcome :)

xevec
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by xevec »

Regarding thieves, they could go grey for stealing from you, or they could be permagrey, but still display blue. If they are grey or perma gray then you can attack them freely, just remember that magic only does 1 damage in town.

To make yourself a bit more resilant toward theives, get a red wooden box, and keep your stuff in there, then magic trap the box. This way when theives attempt to open it, it will explode thus alerting you to their presence.

In addition putting things like newbie robes/cloaks/cut cloth over your stuff makes it a bit more of a hassle for them.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Thieves are always a tricky proposition. You never know exactly what you might get with one. Best way to prevent is like Xev said put your stuff in a red box (or any other lockable container), but actually, magic lock it, that makes it impossible for them to get through (just make sure it weights more than 11 stones).

Also, if you are thinking of enganging a bank thief, just realize you are unsure if he has fighting skills, and you can be quite sure he'll steal your bandages, regs, runes, potions, and weps if you unequip them to drink a pot.

ClawlessVictory

Thanks guys.

One more question: Can thieves steal my spellbook? If so, should I put it in this "red box" you speak of? And if I die out in the wild, if it's in the red box, anything and anyone can make off with my book, right?

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Clawless, save yourself a ton of time and make a bard. It will force you to learn almost everything you need to survive and make decent gold out of it.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

ClawlessVictory wrote:Thanks guys.

One more question: Can thieves steal my spellbook? If so, should I put it in this "red box" you speak of? And if I die out in the wild, if it's in the red box, anything and anyone can make off with my book, right?
Spellbooks are newbied - Can't be stolen off you or looted off your corpse as long as they are kept in the top level of your pack (not in a container). Possible exception is that I think if you're red they do stay on your corpse when you die.

ClawlessVictory

Is the IRC link not working for anyone else?

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

The site based IRC's not working for a fair few people at the moment. Admin is aware of the problem so hopefully not going to be too long.

You can still access the IRC channel through IRC clients like mIRC.