Remove Guild chat and auto light levels

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
LeonZA

Remove Guild chat and auto light levels

Post by LeonZA »

Just some suggestions(rants)...

Being able to chat freely just doesn't feel right when there are Communication Crystals and Spirit Speak ingame. It makes the game feel fake and like a chatroom. I can't remeber playing any Ultima and just texting Lord British quickly about something. Personally I think that if anyone wants to (cheat/instant chat) then they can do it with a different program like IRC.
The problem with the guild chat is that its there. So it kinda forces people to use it when somebody sends a message. This destroys the role playing feeling for me, but it might just be me.
And when I am dead I should only be 'OOooooOOooOOooOoooOing'. Instead i can easily just guild chat normaly by bypassing the normal chat??

The only thing that would make it more acceptable is if it felt like you had to use some kind of magic to be able to communicate... like Communication Crystals, but required recharging. So Guild Chat makes those Communication Crystals kinda pointless.

Another anoying thing is Razor's ability to set the auto light levels when there are alternatives ingame. Like torches and spells... Also making those things useless.

My last annoyance is the music that doesn't seem to work correctly, because I think the server is not telling my client to play certain songs at certain regions. I tested on other shards and it seems to work fine on them. When I enter Britain I would like to hear Britain's themesong. Can somebody double check the regions.xml file to see if it is correct?

What do you guys think? Am I over reacting?

iamreallysquall

Re: Remove Guild chat and auto light levels

Post by iamreallysquall »

LeonZA wrote:Just some suggestions(rants)...

Being able to chat freely just doesn't feel right when there are Communication Crystals and Spirit Speak ingame. It makes the game feel fake and like a chatroom. I can't remeber playing any Ultima and just texting Lord British quickly about something. Personally I think that if anyone wants to (cheat/instant chat) then they can do it with a different program like IRC.
The problem with the guild chat is that its there. So it kinda forces people to use it when somebody sends a message. This destroys the role playing feeling for me, but it might just be me.
And when I am dead I should only be 'OOooooOOooOOooOoooOing'. Instead i can easily just guild chat normaly by bypassing the normal chat??

The only thing that would make it more acceptable is if it felt like you had to use some kind of magic to be able to communicate... like Communication Crystals, but required recharging. So Guild Chat makes those Communication Crystals kinda pointless.

Another anoying thing is Razor's ability to set the auto light levels when there are alternatives ingame. Like torches and spells... Also making those things useless.

My last annoyance is the music that doesn't seem to work correctly, because I think the server is not telling my client to play certain songs at certain regions. I tested on other shards and it seems to work fine on them. When I enter Britain I would like to hear Britain's themesong. Can somebody double check the regions.xml file to see if it is correct?

What do you guys think? Am I over reacting?
guild chat = accurate

comm crystals = are useful if you know how to use them

razor is something that makes it very easy to play on this shard with out configuring files and it's something you're going to have to deal with it's it not going away and plenty of third party apps and fixes removed light levels by target era accurate date. i also know plenty of people who don't use filter light levels in razor do you have "dark nights" enabled? doubt you do...

game music is known to cause issues i think some people made some fixes for it unsure i don't play with it on and i am not sure
what client version are you running but you should be running the client located here download.uosecondage.com/UOSA_Client_Setup.exe is the recromended client

lastly this shard is all about being accurate to T2A era with a set date of when we're accurate to which is why i play here it's got none of that custom garbage or hybrid rule sets of the other shards
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Ne'rull

Post by Ne'rull »

I miss In Lor, Black potions and torches!

LeonZA

Post by LeonZA »

iamreallysquall wrote:
LeonZA wrote:Just some suggestions(rants)...
game music is known to cause issues i think some people made some fixes for it unsure i don't play with it on and i am not sure
what client version are you running but you should be running the client located here download.uosecondage.com/UOSA_Client_Setup.exe is the recromended client
Thanks iamreallysquall,
That is the client that I am currently using. It is just strange that the music is working when I connect to other shards with the same client. So I am guessing that this server isn't sending the (6D)Play Music Packet to the client, but then it would mean that nonody gets the correct music?

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

Guild chat is a good thing, people shouldn't be forced to use IRC/AIM/ventrilo. IRC is the worst one because some people spend more time talking in their chatrooms than playing the game. With guild chat, you can chat to your guild while playing.

It's 2012 and I believe Derrick made a very good choice in keeping guild chat in even though it's probably inaccurate.

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

Halbu wrote:Guild chat is a good thing, people shouldn't be forced to use IRC/AIM/ventrilo. IRC is the worst one because some people spend more time talking in their chatrooms than playing the game. With guild chat, you can chat to your guild while playing.

It's 2012 and I believe Derrick made a very good choice in keeping guild chat in even though it's probably inaccurate.

if it is in accurate- it needs to be removed regardless of how much it helps or not. Y'know instant dmg from bows helped me tons but that doesn't make it a need to be in game. Guild chat isn't game breaking or anything but again i'm a 100% accuracy wanter. I want GF items to be removed and breakable. (the whole blessed thing) but hey that's me i spoze. thought this server was about accuracy after all ;p

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Ne'rull wrote:I miss In Lor, Black potions and torches!
Agreed, and seriously, where the hell have you been? :)
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

Loathed wrote:
Halbu wrote:Guild chat is a good thing, people shouldn't be forced to use IRC/AIM/ventrilo. IRC is the worst one because some people spend more time talking in their chatrooms than playing the game. With guild chat, you can chat to your guild while playing.

if it is in accurate- it needs to be removed regardless of how much it helps or not. Y'know instant dmg from bows helped me tons but that doesn't make it a need to be in game. Guild chat isn't game breaking or anything but again i'm a 100% accuracy wanter. I want GF items to be removed and breakable. (the whole blessed thing) but hey that's me i spoze. thought this server was about accuracy after all ;p
Guild chat can be seen as something like razor, used alongside the game. It's not like it imbalances anything, you can AIM/IRC people too. Why would you want people having to minimize UO and use a program instead of stay in the game? And guild chat helps newbies keep in contact with their guilds/friends. Otherwise people move onto other games, there isn't any MMORPG's that don't have guild chat. It doesn't make sense to make people download more programs, as if razor wasn't enough.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

iamreallysquall wrote:guild chat = accurate
Actually guild chat is not accurate at all. The only reason we have it here today is because players (including me) fought to keep it in the game.

In retrospect, I have found that guild chat is overrated and not really needed at all (personal opinion). IRC is far superior and it is what I use now to communicate with my guild.

The OP actually has some really good points toward removing guild chat. Perhaps this is something that should be corrected.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

I don't personally have IRC always on top, so it's background fodder when I'm really in game. I like guild chat and wish we had Alliance chat too, but I'm for removing it if that's truly accurate.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

Guild chat was a huge discussion a few years ago. Here is the main thread on it:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18696

And here was what Derrick finally said via Patch 131:
Derrick wrote:Parties have been removed completely as they are absolutely not consistent with the T2A era. There was much consideration and discussion given to removing Guild Chat as well, but it has been decided that it will not be removed.

There are a few factors that played into our decision on guild chat, its convenience was not the deciding factor. We were able to modify guild chat so that it cannot be used to trigger the SysMsg condition in Razor. It is my view that guild chat is essentially a interface feature, and it does not now enable a player any ability which cannot be obtained through an allowed 3rd party application such as UO AutoMap. It also provides a partial substitute for the "UO Messenger" client feature which was available during our target time frame, but we are not able to provide due to it's removal from the UO Client itself.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19860

Not that it still can't be discussed. I just wanted to give some historical reference.
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Border Patrol

Post by Border Patrol »

Citizens!,

If you link up to your buddies in UOAM you can use the UOAM chat even with non guildies. So getting rid of guild chat would really not do squat.

None of you guys link up in UOAM already?

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Border Patrol wrote:Citizens!,

If you link up to your buddies in UOAM you can use the UOAM chat even with non guildies. So getting rid of guild chat would really not do squat.

None of you guys link up in UOAM already?
I've grown lazy...I just use Ventrilo...
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

LeonZA

Post by LeonZA »

Update:
I have uninstalled the Second Age client from this site and installed Mondain's Legacy just to make sure that it isn't the client's fault for the music not working correctly.
Updated to version 5.0.9.1
Music still not working correctly. :(
It is still working on other shards.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

LeonZA wrote:Update:
I have uninstalled the Second Age client from this site and installed Mondain's Legacy just to make sure that it isn't the client's fault for the music not working correctly.
Updated to version 5.0.9.1
Music still not working correctly. :(
It is still working on other shards.
Check your music files names. I've had other people tell me that when they updated to client 5.0.9.1 they had sound problems, but I have never had an issue with the stock unpatched client off of the UOSA website.

Version 5.0.8.3 (Patch 204) for reference.

I also have the original T2A CD music files if you need/want them.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro