Latency while riding mounts

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
LKP

Re: Latency while riding mounts

Post by LKP »

I want to say it was like that on OSI. I haven't played OSI in almost a decade though so I could be wrong. Changing it would mean altering the client, meaning you'd need to download a customized client to play here and ostensibly wouldn't be able to use that client to play anywhere else. That's a turn-off to most players, especially ones who would be new to the shard, and it's not era-accurate either.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

LKP wrote:It's not RunUO. UO uses an older protocol (TCP?) that requires a certain amount of client prediction. The client prediction for mounted movement is notoriously bad and is the best argument for removing mounts. This is why you may see "rubber banding" or odd movement patterns for mounted players. It's also why you'll see words of power come up while a player appears to be moving - you're getting the information that the player is casting directly from the server, but the movement is partially predicted. If you understand how this works, you can abuse it to make yourself very hard to hit in mounted melee combat. But this is abused enough as it is so I won't get into the specifics and potentially make the problem worse.

Oh yeah, and I'm very much against fake lag. Maybe I've just gotten used to the convenience of mounts actually being useful. But for the sake of era accuracy, I say consider lag the same way you do bugs - the lag was never intended, and the game wasn't built around lag. If it were, then mount speed would have been capped lower than it already is.
There's nothing old about TCP or prediction system implemented ever. TCP simply means packets should pretty much never get lost, in the past this could have mean slightly more lag/CPU time (like, pretty much not noticeable) but today it's not even really worth mentioning as the effect it has is insignificant.

EDIT: To add, I think this shard is trying to recreate mechanics, not experience. There would be no real "accurate" way of doing this, I have played a few shards with the horse lag and it generally feels broken as hell and leads to major headaches... Not everyone should have the exact same consistent PREDICTABLE lag.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

rouss

Post by rouss »

Hemperor wrote: EDIT: To add, I think this shard is trying to recreate mechanics, not experience. There would be no real "accurate" way of doing this, I have played a few shards with the horse lag and it generally feels broken as hell and leads to major headaches... Not everyone should have the exact same consistent PREDICTABLE lag.
Let's make this lag random! :mrgreen:
Chesapeake Nov. 1998 — July 2000
Second Age Feb. 2009 —

LKP

Post by LKP »

Fair enough, it's not the age of the protocol that makes it happen, but that is what triggers it, no? And it's a good thing packets rarely get lost, because it doesn't take many lost packets to lose connection. I'm hardly an expert on client prediction so I don't know whether UO would have the same problems if it were designed today. The point is, rubber banding isn't going away, RunUO's not at fault for it, and horses make it worse.

Endecent

Post by Endecent »

Loathed wrote:is there absolutely no way to alter the client prediction? Honestly it wasn't like that on OSI which is why I was thinking it was a emulator thing. I played on cable in 98 and also dial up prior. Never saw folks moving any steps with words of power revealing over their head. If my ping/lag was a factor the only difference would be how long it took them to cast the spell, but the initial start would always be the same- if that makes any damn sense.... lol
Hey, don't forget that people were able to "disguise" their spells by spamming words of power on the macro set to cast spells.
I think the reason you never saw this is because the words of power stayed above the character casting for a shorter period of time than we have here. That's my only explanation I guess: BC I also vaguely remember not seeing what they cast as soon as they started moving- but again, on a dial-up and playing Europa/Great Lakes from south Florida, it could have been my ping?