Locked Boxes/Theif Protection

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Hernando_Kortez

Locked Boxes/Theif Protection

Post by Hernando_Kortez »

I was wondering if people could pitch in help clarify how locked boxes worked with thief protection.

I remember on OSI I used to keep all my stuff inside a bag which was in a locked box. I could still use my potions, bandages and reagents from inside the box. I could also arm/disarm from inside the bag. The only way a thief could steal from me was if I disarmed and he had the weapon on last target.

I'm pretty sure I could also move around items in the bag and perhaps even take items from within the bag while it was inside the locked box but I'm a bit hazier on this detail.

That's the way I remember it but my mind may be clouded. Can anyone else remember doing this?

On T2A currently you can use reagents from inside a locked box but not pots/bandages or arm/disarm. I think that if this is inaccurate it should be fixed so we can properly protect ourselves against stealing.

Voltron

Re: Locked Boxes/Theif Protection

Post by Voltron »

I think you're right actually...
Pretty sure I remember rolling deep in Deceit with vanqs in my locked box.
GuardianKnight wrote:He wants voltron's sword to be stuck in him.
[23:23] <Alcon> can i get a price check on shemps blade?
ShastaMcNasty wrote:FREE THE RED NIGHTMARE!!!

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Locked boxes allowed you to use consumable resources out of the box, provided it was magically locked. If you had the box open beforehand, you could also target runes, and use runebooks, but you could not move items around at all in the locked box, regardless of whether it was inside a second bag or not. The same was true with weapons. You could not get to weapons on the inside of your box, and could not disarm weapons into your box because it was effectively locked. The only directly usable items were those that changed their stack count with a use, or changed the base item with use (i.e. potions).
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Hernando_Kortez

Post by Hernando_Kortez »

As it stands right now, using bandages or pots gives the "cannot reach this" message. It would be great if we could have this changed to be accurate and give people some recourse against thieves.

I'm not going to argue the case on the arm/disarm or moving items, as I say my memory is hazy and may have been corrupted by other freeshards.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

I'm pretty sure that if you had the box open, casted magic lock on the box, and kept the box open, then you could use the items in the box normally.

If the box shut, then you would have to unlock it in order to open it again.

I don't think the current system is accurate.