Temple Island housing

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
rouss

Temple Island housing

Post by rouss »

I've come across this lot: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=28950

Nothing personal, but housing in that area back in the day was illegal. Technically, you could place a house on that island and nearby teleport area, but on Chess staff kept deleting them (that's my recollection). I don't know why on earth they didn't prohibit placement on server side, but the fact still stands: there should be no houses on that island, I don't remember seeing them there and I found no search matches for "temple island house" on rec.games.computer.ultima.online.

This somewhat backs up my statement:

Source: Aschulze Travelogues [he played on Cats], http://www.aschulze.net/ultima/stories/story036.htm

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure about this one.
Chesapeake Nov. 1998 — July 2000
Second Age Feb. 2009 —

Derrick

Re: Temple Island housing

Post by Derrick »

Thanks for the post! The least we can do is get the sign up.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Actually I just discovered the marble tables there, which I do not recall from era myself. The sign looks more familiar to me.

The tables have been added to the base map, and cannot be removed.

This post is from 1998, when it may very well have been possible to place a house right on the temple itself possibly?
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

a little off topic.. this area + minoc north mines entrance were both guarded throughout t2a and probably are still. neither are guarded on UOSA

is this a known issue?
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

rouss

Post by rouss »

Derrick wrote:This post is from 1998, when it may very well have been possible to place a house right on the temple itself possibly?
I'm not sure you could ever place a house on a pavement/marbles, at least under normal circumstances. The sign and the rule applies to the whole island, I would say.
We investigated the area and the whole island, but couldn't find anything unusual or mystical, except the landmark itself. We talked a lot about this experience, and agreed that it was good that some measures had been taken against the scum who did nothing but ruin the landscape
After all it's meant to be a wild tropical island, filled with snakes and such, a hidden portal to T2A. No sane game designer would allow player establishments there, that's my guess.

nightshark wrote:a little off topic.. this area + minoc north mines entrance were both guarded throughout t2a and probably are still. neither are guarded on UOSA

is this a known issue?
Oh yes, there were guards walking on that pavement.
Second Age Feb. 2009 —

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

At one point, you could place housing in any area, including guard zones, cropland, and other unusual locations. These houses were typically left alone, except in cases where they blocked special land marks. In the case of this screen shot, since it is from April 1998, and the warning sign was necessarily placed before this screen shot was taken, the sign may have been a relic from the times when they warned players that illegally placed houses would be removed. Such signs existed during UOR on my own home shard of Great Lakes, long after the housing location was blocked, and may still exist today.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

nightshark wrote:a little off topic.. this area + minoc north mines entrance were both guarded throughout t2a and probably are still. neither are guarded on UOSA

is this a known issue?
I have no recollection of the North Mines, but I think you're right about the Teleporter having guards. I'll have to do some digging on a rainy day and see.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

Since it says on this area and not in this area, then my guess its on the marble area the sign refers to.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Here's another thread on guarded entrances:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25634

Also references a pic of temple island in "winter 1999". No sign present.
http://www.andrea.net/uo/general/screen ... en11.shtml

The guarded/unguarded entrances are fairly easy to prove (stratics maintained a table of them, at minimum), but the tile ranges may be another matter... I'd assume they'd be the same on Live now, but never know.
http://web.archive.org/web/199910051049 ... t2aent.htm

rouss

Post by rouss »

Rammar wrote:Also references a pic of temple island in "winter 1999". No sign present.
http://www.andrea.net/uo/general/screen ... en11.shtml
Probably because by that time they patched that server-side. Or different shard where there were no such sign ever.
Second Age Feb. 2009 —

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Would be really nice to know what the guard lines secifically were for this area.

I do have some guard line definitions that Faust provided some time ago, which I've meant to apply. But they are not precice due to lack of information :/