Getting killed in the middle of a tower?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Pirul

Re: Getting killed in the middle of a tower?

Post by Pirul »

Duping was also a mechanical accuracy in era. It is not allowed here because it was deemed game breaking, and thus it became a policy decission. It is now up to the administrators to discuss and decide if this issue is indeed game breaking, and if they want to make another policy decission.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

so.you.want.to.be...

Post by so.you.want.to.be... »

Also, since it was never mentioned on OSI, it is possible that, while it existed in the demo, it was fixed and then later accidentally re-introduced when something else was changed which is why it is possible on some builds of the game. OSI may not have even written a patch note about it because it is obviously not intended game play and they didn't always mention exploit fixes in patch notes as a way of trying to prevent future exploits. I know this is convoluted logic, but there is absolutely NO indication from any reports that this existed in era at all.

jimm1432

Post by jimm1432 »

i know during uor you could use purple pots like this on sm towers/sm houses/the side of log cabins etc (we done it alot) but not large houses. MS should only beable to target the walls! thus working if your within 2 tiles of a wall. EQ could get you easier but never killed since its % based.

I'm not sure what a lot of people's ages are here or your home life but I'm over 30 now, i'm not a kid. I have children to look after now and get 1-2hours to play uo or something at nights (if im lucky). your saying because I have a job and children and dont have 12 hour a day to gain skills, I dont deserve to play this server?

Velner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Velner »

I would find it quite absurd that "Era Accuracy" would be used to defend an exploit that was actually not seen in Era (at least there is no evidence that it was), yet at the same time Era Accuracy could be abandoned for an issue such as "Grandfathered" Blessed Items.

But there's really nothing to do but wait until staff actually responds as to this exploit.

Tiwstacain

Post by Tiwstacain »

nightshark I would love that exploit. Specially if they kept it in. Stop all these ass hats from hording gear. u would have 125 items in the bank that are still untouchable. U don't need anymore than that. Would b fun to jack stuff outta ppls houses. FYI i have never stole anything from anyone in game. If it were game mechanics perhaps i would have to though.

TC

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

So should I go ahead and move all my shit into a small?

I'm wondering if the complaining will cause a change..After noobs complained about THERE's NO STABLE SPACE!!! *waaaaaaaaaaaaah*
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Cindrew

Post by Cindrew »

the fact that Derrick has yet to respond to this concern kinda shows its here to stay.
Cindrew of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

the bazookas
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by the bazookas »

Cindrew wrote:the fact that Derrick has yet to respond to this concern kinda shows its here to stay.
... Or more likely (in my opinion) he's just really busy irl.
Most people like us, or at least they like what we do. Regardless, we appreciate all our victims, and we hope that their encounter with us is a memorable one.
-a machine gun, a bazooka, and a grenade
... a not-for-profit organization (usually)

Captain Awesome

Post by Captain Awesome »

The question in my mind becomes, and has been on other topics as well, what are we striving for when we talk about era accuracy?

Are we looking to create a game that is mechanically identical to the T2A we all knew and loved or are we looking to create a game that is identical from a gameplay perspective?

If we are looking for mechanical accuracy, I suppose this should stay.

If we are looking for gameplay accuracy, it should go.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

nightshark wrote:If someone found a bug with razor that allowed you to break into homes, it worked on the demo and OSI... that would also be mechanical accuracy.

This not only wasn't intended by the game developers... but noone freakin knew about it until 2012 and it requires client hacking or a third party program to accomplish.
Using tables to bump up into the wings of towers is technically era and mechanically accurate, yet it was removed.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Hicha wrote:
nightshark wrote:If someone found a bug with razor that allowed you to break into homes, it worked on the demo and OSI... that would also be mechanical accuracy.

This not only wasn't intended by the game developers... but noone freakin knew about it until 2012 and it requires client hacking or a third party program to accomplish.
Using tables to bump up into the wings of towers is technically era and mechanically accurate, yet it was removed.
That's my point.
Tiwstacain wrote:nightshark I would love that exploit. Specially if they kept it in. Stop all these ass hats from hording gear. u would have 125 items in the bank that are still untouchable. U don't need anymore than that. Would b fun to jack stuff outta ppls houses. FYI i have never stole anything from anyone in game. If it were game mechanics perhaps i would have to though.

TC
If it's not blindingly obvious that such an exploit would just ruin the entire game, I don't know what to say.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

the bazookas wrote:
Cindrew wrote:the fact that Derrick has yet to respond to this concern kinda shows its here to stay.
... Or more likely (in my opinion) he's just really busy irl.
This.

For the record, I would say that having "Era Accuracy" include stuff that was never known about in Era is a bit of a stretch of the logic surrounding Era-Accuracy. It can be deemed as much inaccurate as accurate since it was not a known bug.

As others have said, this is a bug that would never have been allowed had it been known. It would have been patched with the quickness. It never would have survived to be considered "part of the Era."

Saying its accurate because it was there (but completely unknown) is more of a falsehood than a truth in my opinion.
Telamon wrote:Those are Hybrid server patch notes LS, not RunUO patch notes. This bug does not exist by default in the current distro of RunUO.
Obviously. It was patched, so it in fact does not exist anymore in the "current" or latest RunUO Distro. This would be somewhat relevant information if UOSA was using the "current" or latest RunUO Distro.

LOS is broken, though, on this server. It can be seen simply in the lack of being able to place items on the north and west lips of buildings.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Hicha wrote:

This actually isn't true. The code would check for a valid surface to place you on that was above or below your location within a certain number of Z (~20 Z). This stopped players from being able to move up or down large distances in this way. Also, assuming this did work and you weren't a friend, you would be kicked out of the house anyway.

On another note, I've had very little time to speak with Derrick as he has been busy with some stuff at home. I don't really know whether he will take any action on this particular issue, but it should be noted that this particular technique relied on the assistance of a third party program with the capability to target a relative location. Given that, and the fact that the only legal third party program didn't actually have a target relative feature until September 2, 2000, any use of this technique during T2A would have required the use of an illegal program.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

I'm so glad I trained all my skills last year.

I feel sorry for the risk all the new players now get to bear. Until/unless this is fixed, almost all of the house security tips for staying alive are null and void. Just make sure you lock up your house tight so all you lose is what's on your corpse.

- Jupiter.

theuodealer

Post by theuodealer »

Jupiter wrote:I'm so glad I trained all my skills last year.

I feel sorry for the risk all the new players now get to bear. Until/unless this is fixed, almost all of the house security tips for staying alive are null and void. Just make sure you lock up your house tight so all you lose is what's on your corpse.

- Jupiter.
Thanks. As a new player I'm just logging in, refreshing, and logging back out and it's not fun. I worked up enough gold to buy a tower and start building some of the more expensive skills and now :( There aren't even working alternatives. I was killed in the center of Jhelom bank AFK macroing hiding along with about 5 other players one morning, only God knows how. I came back in time to see all our corpses and five different bodies representing our killer. And I'm sure not going to build alchemy or inscription by manually clicking. I can't wait for this issue to get gone.
A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. ~Muhammad Ali

Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors - try to be better than yourself. ~William Faulkner