What happened to the events? Derrick can we get them back?

Topics related to Second Age
eggmona

Re: What happened to the events? Derrick can we get them bac

Post by eggmona »

I definitely think there should be zero rewards, if events are even being considered. I really like how there are these crazy mystical rares from way back when that cannot be duplicated.

but also, I really hate seeing some server NPC plopped down at WBB yelling about new events and looking completely NEA (I know, this sounds stupid probably). But honestly, it totally screws up my feng shui.

edit for clarity:
Automated events take the burden away from players to make the game interesting and fun to play by providing things for them.
This is a great insight. I think people should consider more about this. Also, I haven't seen anything that shows that events actually DO imply retention (which is something I tried to say on page one), so I don't really see the case for that. There is only speculation, and given the above quote I also feel there is very good logical oppositions as to why automated events may even be harmful, or simply irrelevant and thus hurting EA for no good reason.

To be explicit: I am against automated events.

Guerrilla

Post by Guerrilla »

i hear peoples opinion on no reward event system, the whole no risk and u get no reward idea... But hear mine, the game mechanics feature a non risk and full reward feature in itself, it's called the Kal Ort Por spell......

if u dont wanna take a risk u can get away....... all u have to do is recall, so in my mind it doesnt matter if u have rewards or not, theres still no risk...
if a player choses to recall of course
Halleluyah
<DemonArkanis> hopefully ill go to hell and not have to listen to your bullshit

DoogieFresh

Post by DoogieFresh »

Can we get any input from Derrick or staff on this?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

The only reason why I would like the events return is it forced people to work together. Now if we had more Chaos/Order Guilds in constant battle I really see no need. The thing is those involved are disorganized and its more or less an Anarchy. Someone needs to step up to the helm and push the conflict between Chaos and Order, which if I am not mistaken is all just Chaos literally because if you belong to either you are fair game to anyone who claims either.

I would like to see two people on the field recognize themselves as allies just by what they claim even should these two never met before.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Brules

Post by Brules »

Bump for some staff input since events were removed due to some bug issues and staff has never addressed their final word on putting them back in again once fixed?

DoogieFresh

Post by DoogieFresh »

Bump

Braden
UOSA Policy Enforcer
UOSA Policy Enforcer

Post by Braden »

This thread is too long so I skipped to the end.

Our official position is:
"Due to existing exploits that a couple of players were using to give them an unfair advantage in-game, the events have been temporarily brought down so that they can be fixed."

Now, that was over a year ago. So far the events have not come back. I wouldn't get your hopes up. For now, the best course of action would be to talk to staff (specifically either Yoda or Dupre) about setting up GM/Seer ran events in-game; OR, set up a player-run event and do that.
<Layt> note to self (and others)
<Layt> do not magic arrow braden
<Zebulone> He has inf reflect
<Layt> more like reflect and amplify
<Layt> it was a death sequence unlike any other i had ever seen

Brules

Post by Brules »

Thanks, good to see it is hopefully not permanent. So it sounds like the issue is resolving expolits before they are returned to service....

Who wants to volunteer to do code work to get these fixed lol! :)

Brules

Post by Brules »

Any updates? Does the UOSA staff have any timeline for implementing fixes?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

We have no timeline for implementing any fixes to the event system, and frankly, it's at the lowest priority. If any time is spent on coding, it will be directed at mechanical issues for regular systems in game, and until we have no significant changes to be worried about, you should expect that fixes to the event system will be put off.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

HardCore

Post by HardCore »

You make it sound like there is a big list of ingame mechanical issues that need worked on. The only one I know of is the LoS issue.

Out of curiosity, can you guys share what is on your plate? I know all the patches put in are great, and some of the things you couldn't share because we could take advantage of the issue before the changes, but just some general ideas on what the big mechanical problems are would be cool to know. As far as I can tell as a player for years here, I don't know of any real pressing issues. Everything seems to be working great.

And yes, I would like to see events get moved to the top of the list. I have an idea, maybe we should change the events schedule part of the website to say suspended or something instead of having the schedule still up since that is actually the part of the site I have saved in my website favorites so everytime I visit the forums I have to see the list of events first and cry.
The Core [PEE]: http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Guild/236
<Vega-> I'm about to go to the gym but that is worth missing a couple reps for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMhfbLRoGEw

HardCore

Post by HardCore »

and let's not forget our fearless leader's stance on events.....

"It is my position that automated events happen outside of the regular world and a lot of players do enjoy them; however, that alone is not a justification for anything. I've looked at this a lot of different ways: one of which being that they sort of fill in for our intentionally low staff levels which prohibit us from doing as many in game seer type scenarios. That being said though, the staff of UOSA has been very active lately in running unique shard events. For the most part, this has been much more uncommon on UOSA in the past.

For now, I'd like to say that yes, the events are a mechanic of the shard and yes, there was not an equivalent on OSI in 1999; however, they didn't have the capability of doing anything nearly as complex as these events during that time. I'd also like to add that I really did enjoy developing the events and actually have a few more in queue that I've been meaning to get out there, but completely lack any time to work on them." - the man, the myth, the legend, Derrick
The Core [PEE]: http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Guild/236
<Vega-> I'm about to go to the gym but that is worth missing a couple reps for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMhfbLRoGEw

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

LoS is a non-issue, and as such, not likely on the list. It was already investigated and determined to be legit OSI mechanics in Demo and current day. So what if it doesn't make any sense, at all, in any world, fantasy or not. It's legit, so let's get over it.

I'd love to see the list of works in progress too but merely from a curiosity standpoint.
Automated events are in direct conflict with era-accuracy.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Brules

Post by Brules »

Kaivan wrote:We have no timeline for implementing any fixes to the event system, and frankly, it's at the lowest priority. If any time is spent on coding, it will be directed at mechanical issues for regular systems in game, and until we have no significant changes to be worried about, you should expect that fixes to the event system will be put off.
So you say that like it will never happen then?

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

It's all an elaborate scam to keep us guessing so they can fix events and release them for Christmas 2012.

chumbucket told me
Est Sularus oth Mithas