Magincia Docks

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
ryno

Magincia Docks

Post by ryno »

Are the Magincia docks considered deep sea on this server? I know that anything 16 tiles from land is deep sea, but it doesn't seem like the docks in Magincia are behaving accurately. The water at the end of the docks should be deep sea as they were on OSI in the target era.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Magincia Docks

Post by Kaivan »

The distance from land that denotes deep from shallow water for the purposes of fishing is 14 tiles. I have not been able to find any information to suggest that this distance excluded docks. Do you have any information to suggest that this was the case?
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

ryno

Post by ryno »

maybe it was 14 tiles, but it does not include docks, or at least it doesn't in Magincia. I'll look through the archives when I get home, I am sure I can find something that mentions the end of Magincia dock being deep sea. I macroed there a lot, and I know it was deep sea during T2A all the way through the time I quit in 2007 and is probably still deep sea. It was kind of a macroing hot spot because it was also a guard zone, so didn't have to worry about sea serpents. They also moved MiBs onto the serpents in UO:R and it became an even bigger exploit because if the guards insta whacked the sea serpents, the MiB would fall to your feet because it was in the middle of it's spawn script and hadn't been placed in the serpents possession yet.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I look forward to any information you can find regarding the limits of deep versus shallow water.

However, on the point regarding sea serpents being killed and providing you a free SoS, that information is highly suspect given what we know about how the UO servers handled spawns.

ryno

Post by ryno »

Well like I said I will pour through the internet archives when I get home to find something date appropriate, but doing a quick search on my phone provided http://tukaram.net/fishing_guide.htm. It is clearly after T2A, but the second paragraph of the training section makes mention of magincias docks. It is 14 tiles, but because magincia has such a large, two section, dock it extended out into deep sea. I know I will find an earlier reference but i am pretty sure the 14 tiles stRted from the end of the first part of the dock structure in mag.

ryno

Post by ryno »

Also, as far as my "suspect" exploit goes, I just found this http://w.askchopper.com/cgi-bin/public. ... nim9730305, it again mentions magincia being deep sea, but maybe you don't understand all the spawns because they did drop special loot to feet after being instant guard whacked. That exploit is post T2A, just wanted to point out the credibility of my memory as far as magoncia fishing goes.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

This information is far out of date, during the AoS era. At that time, spawns operated differently than they did during T2A or UOR. Also, we need information from the era showing that Magincia was a deep water location (I'm not saying that it wasn't, we just need information from the era to confirm it).

Kriav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kriav »

Kaivan wrote:This information is far out of date, during the AoS era. At that time, spawns operated differently than they did during T2A or UOR. Also, we need information from the era showing that Magincia was a deep water location (I'm not saying that it wasn't, we just need information from the era to confirm it).

What does the demo say?? I wish I could get that running.

ryno

Post by ryno »

I realize the importance of evidence, that's why I said I would find something era relevant, the original purpose of this post was to verify that it wasn't deep sea, before I started searching. I thought maybe I just hadn't fished up any random serpents and since I'm not at home I couldn't start a new toon with low fishing skill to see if it allowed me to fish there. After reading through my posts, I apologize for sounding combative. As for that bug, I realize it was reported in 2003 long after UO:r, it was just the first mention of it I found when doing a Google search, but it had been possible for sometime before that. I believe it was a result of the fact that when they moved MiBs to the serpent loot, you still actually fished up the MiB and not the serpent, I think they put the MiB in your temporary possession until the serpent was dead and then it transfered to the corpse, but if the serpent was guard whacked, it met the criteria for dispatching the mob, but had no corpse to drop on so it fell to your feet. I am sure you have a better understanding of it than I do, but I think that is the likely mechanic, but I digress.

If anyone has access to the demo right now, I'd be interested in if it treated parts of the mag dock as deep sea or not. Also, I seem to recall something about UOAMs xray feature being able to show whether you are in deep water or not by displaying shallow water as brown and only deep water as blue, but I may be wrong about that entirely. I do however feel that it was only magincias dock that was affected because of its size and reach.

ryno

Post by ryno »

alright, did a quick wayback on my old catskills guild, before I head to bed, and found something of relevance. The farthest back I could go is early 2001 because that is when they ported the site to their own dot com, but as you can see from the bottom of the page it has a 1999 copyright. I still can not completely prove this info is circa 1999, but it is earlier than the beginning of 2001.

http://web.archive.org/web/200104191358 ... water.html

I am definitely getting closer to t2a era though, and I am still confident I can find something older. I have found several things that mention "rumors" of a place that you don't need a boat for deep sea in 1999, on stratics, and it seems to be that people were either trying to keep mag secret or didn't want to detract from other adventures discovery process, which is often the case but unfortunately for us future archeoligists is kind of annoying.

Edit: from the bottom of my provided link, you can see that in the acknowledgments that this info was also released prior to the demise of the counselor program at the end of 2000. So I guess I am even a few months closer than I previously thought.