Swing on the run - "accidentally added"?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Swing on the run - "accidentally added"?

Post by Kaivan »

The point is that for a minute to two minutes, this guy chased down a player while on horseback and didn't swing. Also, you don't have to run past anyone to hit them, simply be within range to hit them. This means that if you run by someone you will swing on them on any of the tiles next to them. Finally, the issue you're speaking of regarding synchronization was a lot better on OSI servers than it is here on a RunUO server. The result was much more accurate position information, which allowed you to effectively run next to or chase after a person, which is what this post was pointing out. We cannot compare the results seen on UOSA and claim that they are what was experienced on OSI servers, because of our differences in how we synchronize player positioning data between clients.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... 5KCp6pgIkJ

Mage is hurt from katana abuse and is running to get a heal off. I
have armed my hally and the timer is running. When the mage stop I fire
immediately and have a 50% chance to hit.

*timer running while he run and then insta hit*

Under real pvp competitions ... not duels ... I've slaughtered mages
with my warrior with as little as a piece of bone chest, 10 bandages,
and a GM katana. If you have comparable connections, and you stick on
them, they just get chopped up and interrupted without getting off
hardly any spells. They usually die miserably trying to get off a
recall or a heal. The Katana just chews up a pure mage.

If you want to defeat any mage just carry an item of magic reflect,
and watch how fast they run -or- die.

In general when my warrior is "tanked-up" I carry Armor, 4 GH, 2 TR, 2
GC, 20 Bandaids, DP-Katana, Halberd, Order Shield, Magic Trapped
Pouches .... occasionally some other things depending on supply and
demand. If I carry any regs it is just a few garlic and gingseng to
cure myself from monsters. The Halberd is *mostly* for whacking
monsters or on occasion if the opponent has a faster connection and I
can't stay close.
Remember outside of a "dueling" area ... your
warrior can run off and heal, just like the mages like to do.

I've never seen a mage stand still, heal, and get off spells while
getting beat on by a pure Warrior.

I don't win 'em all ... I don't lose 'em all. Overall, I think it's
balanced probably about as good as its gonna get.

A warrior can also exploit all forms of magic items. Wands can be used
to interupt a mage, break para, or heal. Reflect, inviso, and teleport
items can be very handy. Magic Armor is dang nice, and someday I hope
to see what a DP Katana of Vanquishing can do. ;)

*this is from 1999-05-27*

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

It is possible that these examples do refer to swinging while running (although they aren't that clear about it). The factual information we have is that on the demo it is possible to swing on the run. We also have a mini-patch for UOR release that notes that it will no longer be necessary to stop in order to swing. These two bodies of evidence point to two different systems of combat, and there is no patch note to indicate that there was a change. It is possible that at the time of those newsgroup posts, it was possible to swing while running, and that later the revisions were made.

It should be noted that if swinging and running was indeed possible during T2A, it must necessarily also mean that you cannot hold your swings in combat. The entire reason that OSI prevented swinging while running was to give players a way to hold their swings, and it wasn't until UOR that OSI corrected the behavior so that you could both swing while running and hold your swing. Swinging and running and holding your swing are mutually exclusive systems during the T2A era.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The only notable difference between the demo and t2a is that dex was based on the swing delay calculation for your swing advancements. Swapping to a stamina calculation on February '99 for swing advancement is MUCH more intensive onprocessing since stamina varies unlike dex. Adding the movement restriction preventing the advance swing state from being processed would be a very smart move in terms of a performance boost. This serves as a highly possible starting point for its implementation in between the demo and UOR.

Secondly, one thing we can be sure of is that swings DID NOT hold in a ready state like it does now.

This feature is one in the same in terms of working in hand with the other mechanic. The only way you could theoretically hold your swing is by moving to stall it from advancing.

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

Yeah so it shouldnt be the swing on the run were talking about here but more the holding swings since thats the era unaccurate if your right.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Swinging on the run is a very relevant topic to discuss. We have information that shows it was not possible at some point during T2A. At this time, because we don't have information on when it was implemented, there is nothing pinning us down to either system.

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

Well if you think warriors would slaghter mages with a .25 sec timer to stand still with katanas isnt enough, then i really dont know what proff you need?

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

This may be one reason many mages wore armor if the swing timer was active while running
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I'm not sure you understand the implications of what you're saying. With swinging on the run, and the ability to miss a swing because you're out of range, combat is harder than it is without swinging on the run.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Meaning if the timer that cycles weapons was active while running then everytime a caster stops to cast he has a chance of being hit again as soon as contact is made. A weapon timer constantly running is what I am talking about not hit on the run. It would cause more interrupts I am sure if the damage was not absorbed.
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Actually that's not what it means that at all. You're referring to swinging on the run and holding your swing, which is something that didn't happen until UOR. What swinging on the run means is that if you're chasing a mage and your weapon swings every 2 seconds, every two seconds you will attempt to swing your weapon at your opponent and fail to even attempt to hit your opponent if you are out of range. This means that if that mage stops to swing and you come up next to him, unless your swing was about to go off at that exact moment, you will need to wait out anywhere between 0.25 and 1.75 seconds before your swing actually occurs.

Ulfrigg

Post by Ulfrigg »

Yes thaths what i mean, but as i said do you really belive that any warrior could rape a mage with the stop and swing timer with a katana.?

Also the Haly wasnt even used on mages since it was to slow. Most people used macing quarter staff.

The way melee combat works, I tend to use my katana until they are 40% down
and then while they are running to heal I arm my hally (UOA). By the time I
catch up, my swing timer is up and I have a 50% chance for a hit and a good
chance for a kill.

That even tells that bouth swing on the run and holding swing is in.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

That doesn't tell us that swinging on the run and holding your swing was in since we know, objectively, that it wasn't. The fact that he states that his swing is ready suggests that swinging on the run was not possible, and that stopping next to your opponent would allow you to swing.

Jason-

Post by Jason- »

I skipped a lot of post after I read the quoted text. I just have two words to summarize what would be a very long post.

Exaggeration and latency.

Tics would still occur in regards to twist in turning. Would the old Orgin hardware not be able to process the guy standing still for that very short time? For example running into a tree? You bros have the background on hardware and could answer that. But If I had to guess, I imagine so. If he was serious in regards to not swinging but had a charged hit available, then obviously he was never in the appropriate range to swing due to the latency. I don't know the technicality or terminology behind it, but on this shard you can precast gate, with a rune on last target, have someone tail you directly behind you, "shuffle step" is what I call it to avoid being hit and eventually open the gate and watch him on a second monitor get eaten by 30 dragons.

Let's not kid ourselves either, there is some messages you can take out of that guy's post, but he's exaggerating for the most part. The big picture and message being delivered by that post is that you can't charge and run and that lag/latency sucks for everyone with Melee skills.

Turned into a long post.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Regarding the old server hardware, the hardware was very aware of small periods where a player did not move, although technically, turning to face a different direction was considered moving until the rewrite to movement code during UOR.