Using lock down items.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Using lock down items.

Post by MatronDeWinter »

a mexican wrote:
Loathed wrote:why can we not eat locked down food, i recall eating ppls hanging herbs and cakes if they were in reach. doesn't the above prove this to be true? and how come non friend/co owner/owners are booted from public houses when they log into it? :(
Agreed, eating fruit baskets, changing the color of public black dye tubs, and tinkering lockdown ingots (I actually remember if you tinkered once from a stack of iggies it would actually unlock the stack but that's another discussion I don't have proof of) were all something I had done at one time or another.
One should also be able to use any locked down item inside another players home, regardless of friend/co-owner status. I should be able to use all these magical keys that are hovering above peoples doors to get inside. It's ignorant to think that keys somehow had a special rule that prohibited their use while locked down to players who were associated with the domicile. These rules associated with the usage of locked down items did not come into the game until after the target era that UOSA tries to replicate. Public or Private house, it should matter not.

The strange allowance of permission based locked down usables has depreciated the value of home security on the shard. This inaccurate mechanic is responsible for a severe decrease in the risk associated with the game and it's aforementioned housing system, and is being used in a manner clearly not intended by the original developers during the T2A era.

Please fix this in the upcoming patch, so that we may all enjoy T2A the way it was meant to be played!

Thank you,
-Sosarians for a better tomorrow.
Last edited by MatronDeWinter on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Actually, keys did have a special check to ensure that they were in your backpack before they could be used. Key rings, however, do not.

Again, we know about this issue, and it is something that I would like to see corrected along with returning to the pre phase 2 housing mechanics, however it hasn't been something we have been able to tackle yet.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Thank you Kaivan.

I am aware that the exploitation of this mechanic relies on the use of a keyring. For the sake of my previous point, please generalize any "key" as mentioned in the previous post, as a unit which contains one key ring with the associated key attached.

Wasn't there a change to housing or something that took place some time ago, which required each player to read a dialog box confirming their understanding of the new rule change? I think this would be an appropriate middle ground when implimenting this change.
Last edited by MatronDeWinter on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I just wanted to clarify that there were some special mechanics in place that prevented you from using an item if it wasn't in your backpack.
MatronDeWinter wrote:Wasn't there a change to housing or something that took place some time ago, which required each player to read a dialog box confirming their understanding of the new rule change? I think this would be an appropriate middle ground when implimenting this change.
We did, and this is something that I would like to use again to explain any changes, however we haven't had the time to compile the changes in the first place.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Just want to point out, this won't solve the "hovering key" issue. It's possible to secure backpacks on the house porch currently, so doors can still be opened in that fashion.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

That is one of the issues to be fixed with a housing patch. There should be no way to lock down an item on the steps for any reason. That is a direct violation of the mechanics.

Steezie
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Steezie »

Dont let people taint public black dye tubs. That is terrible. Leave the keys how they are. Quality of life.

FishinPro

Post by FishinPro »

Kaivan wrote:That is one of the issues to be fixed with a housing patch. There should be no way to lock down an item on the steps for any reason. That is a direct violation of the mechanics.

Everyone better lock your keys down now and setup your secure containers before the ERA Accurate Nazi gets you!!!
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=55362
^ What??? Another person got "treasureman'd" by cavewight?
Grats Cave on scamming another friend just for some petty wealth and getting away with it.

Come JOIN the -1 CLUB!

Join the KILL CAVE event!!

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

FishinPro wrote:
Kaivan wrote:That is one of the issues to be fixed with a housing patch. There should be no way to lock down an item on the steps for any reason. That is a direct violation of the mechanics.

Everyone better lock your keys down now and setup your secure containers before the ERA Accurate Nazi gets you!!!
What, exactly, do you expect of a server that aims to replicate the era to do? Locking down items on steps wasn't possible until UOR.

a mexican

Post by a mexican »

Kaivan wrote:
FishinPro wrote:

What, exactly, do you expect of a server that aims to replicate the era to do? Locking down items on steps wasn't possible until UOR.
Does this also count forges? I think I recall forges being on steps...though I'm not going to lie I have no idea whether that recollection was from T2A (I think it's from T2A) or private shards over the years.

FishinPro

Post by FishinPro »

Kaivan wrote:
FishinPro wrote:

I havent seen any PROOF that you could not elevate your keys inside your door, this is not the steps, or secure a container inside the door. But a little higher you mention this is going to be changed in the next housing patch. If you are going to use your NEA demo and say that 'there isnt a patch note stating they changed this' then thats BS.
Grats Cave on scamming another friend just for some petty wealth and getting away with it.

Come JOIN the -1 CLUB!

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

FishinPro wrote:I havent seen any PROOF that you could not elevate your keys inside your door, this is not the steps, or secure a container inside the door. But a little higher you mention this is going to be changed in the next housing patch. If you are going to use your NEA demo and say that 'there isnt a patch note stating they changed this' then thats BS.
Keyrings would be usable by anyone (not just friends/coowners), so this is a non-issue. The only way the current tricks would work is if it would still be possible to elevate a secure bag in a doorway.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

It's pretty clear that this wasn't possible to do. From the November 23, 1998 patch notes:
Targeting an item not already locked down will lock down the item if the following conditions are met:
  • The item is not adjacent to a door.
Later, on February 24, 1999, we have a clarification for locked down items with the addition of trash barrels:
Placing a barrel obeys the same rules as locking down items in houses: not by the door, not on steps, etc.
Finally, we have the December 5, 2000 patch that allows players to lock down passable objects near steps and doors.
Players may now lockdown items on/near stairs that are "passable". This means they can lock down any item that can be walked over or on, near stairs.
This is a pretty clear mechanic. Also, there is a limit to how far above a hose that an item can still be, yet be considered within that house. Stacking an item 20, 30 or 100 z above a house places it outside the house, and shouldn't even respond to a lock down command (housing zones were handled in 3 dimensions).

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

FishinPro wrote:
I havent seen any PROOF that you could not elevate your keys inside your door, this is not the steps, or secure a container inside the door. But a little higher you mention this is going to be changed in the next housing patch. If you are going to use your NEA demo and say that 'there isnt a patch note stating they changed this' then thats BS.
Your statement is just silly, I hope you don't vote.

I would like to add that I have seen no proof that you couldn't teleport up to 18 tiles away by using the stealing skill and targeting a tile, while hidden. So, please add this mechanic in the next patch. :roll:

FishinPro

Post by FishinPro »

Kaivan wrote:
FishinPro wrote:

The statement stems from many things such as not being able to teleport next to a house...where did THIS come from??

Where is the proof for not being able to recall into the air?? How do these patches take place with no explanation, and then when asked for proof it is ignored??

This is because the ERA Accurate Nazi does what he wants...

Come JOIN the -1 CLUB!