It may just be me

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Scienter

It may just be me

Post by Scienter »

i had an opportunity to read the requirements to bring forth a change in the shard's mechanics such as providing proof of patch notes and stuff, but i can't help but notice the amount of running involved with pvp.

does anyone else recall this much running in pvp on orgins t2a?
Thank you,

-Scienter
"The Great One"
FT$
PM me with reflect bracelets or charged halberds!
New Vent Info:
IP:uosa.puddleboy.com
port:4490
Need a channel? Fill out the information here: http://secondage.puddleboy.com

Pirul

Re: It may just be me

Post by Pirul »

Well, you couldn't run much on a 14.4kb connection to a shitty server back then....that's probably why.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

My ping was around 20 when I started in Feb 99...maybe that's why I dominated PVP?? I was was reported for speed hacking many times!

I pretty much only hung around and fought in Bucs and I do remember people always running, especially to cross the server line to heal.

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

Scienter wrote:i had an opportunity to read the requirements to bring forth a change in the shard's mechanics such as providing proof of patch notes and stuff, but i can't help but notice the amount of running involved with pvp.

There's always been running in UO but UOSA has more generally because of the pvp tactics people use here.

Hally spamming+mini healing is mainly what mage fights consist of these days, you hardly see but 2-3 e bolts being casted a whole fight. That's ass backwards of t2a. Practically no one uses explosion in 1v1, even though it's so effective when timed correctly.

Pvpers were better in 1999 because they could kill someone in 1 combo. Here in 1v1's people spend 25 minutes hally spamming/healing the whole fight thinking that they're better than their opponent if they hit more often with the hally.

Funny thing is with these tactics very little "skill" can actually win the fight since hally is 50% hit LUCK along with useless harm.

This is why spectators are thinking these "mage" 1v1's are just as boring as dexer 1v1's.

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

Yes lots of running...

I still remember playing on free dial-up, then one day a buddy of mine got DSL, which was very new in our area and oh man was that an advantage! Playing on dial-up was painful after that experience.

But yes, to answer your question, I remember quite a bit of running.

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

IRC:Brandon

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Not everyone was dismounting and saying "all follow me" to refresh mount stamina. I don't know of anyone who actually did that, but I did read it on askchopper.com one day. The other difference was obviously connection speed, which played a HUGE role in T2A.

Additionally, you might have got some lucky swings and killed your opponent, so perhaps a more aggressive stance (not running) would have been more appropriate for the time. On UOSA you can pretty much bet on your opponent having maxxed out skills and 100 str/dex/int/whatever-their-template-calls-for. This was not the case in T2A.

Azeroth

Post by Azeroth »

Halbu wrote:
Scienter wrote:i had an opportunity to read the requirements to bring forth a change in the shard's mechanics such as providing proof of patch notes and stuff, but i can't help but notice the amount of running involved with pvp.

There's always been running in UO but UOSA has more generally because of the pvp tactics people use here.

Hally spamming+mini healing is mainly what mage fights consist of these days, you hardly see but 2-3 e bolts being casted a whole fight. That's ass backwards of t2a. Practically no one uses explosion in 1v1, even though it's so effective when timed correctly.

Pvpers were better in 1999 because they could kill someone in 1 combo. Here in 1v1's people spend 25 minutes hally spamming/healing the whole fight thinking that they're better than their opponent if they hit more often with the hally.

Funny thing is with these tactics very little "skill" can actually win the fight since hally is 50% hit LUCK along with useless harm.

This is why spectators are thinking these "mage" 1v1's are just as boring as dexer 1v1's.
Why does it seem you always say the same thing in every topic?Hally spamming+mini healing is mainly what mage fights consist of these days

You are the main person to run in a 1vs1 in the field and then you drop all your mana and then recall and your excuss is always you are a dexxer? Really i always thought a dexxer wears armor? haha so sad

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

Lol Azeroth, you still mad that I didn't let you in my guild even after you asked many times?

Most mages are having a hard time killing runners because their pvp tactics are terrible on the field and are better suited for box arenas like dex monkeys.
You are the main person to run in a 1vs1 in the field and then you drop all your mana and then recall and your excuss is always you are a dexxer?
Juking is not the same as running off screen. Whenever someone complains that I'm juking I just tell them that I have no choice since they're exploiting an inaccurate mechanic that allows them to hit as fast as a dex monkey.
Really i always thought a dexxer wears armor? haha so sad
When I say dexer I'm referring to the fact that people rely on hally more than spells, which is backwards as hell for UO pvp. Just because you dress like a mage doesn't make you one Azeroth, that's artificial.

You remember this fight? It was a mount duel, you died in explo+ebolt+hally(no precasting involved). The fight only lasted like a minute and I was only out of roughly 45-50 mana, how would that be possible if I used tactics like hally/harm/hally/harm? Fairly impossible vs average or even slightly below mediocre pvpers.

Last edited by Halbu on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Azeroth

Post by Azeroth »

Halbu wrote:Lol Azeroth, you still mad that I didn't let you in my guild even after you asked many times?

Most mages are having a hard time killing runners because their pvp tactics are terrible on the field and are better suited for box arenas like dex monkeys.
You are the main person to run in a 1vs1 in the field and then you drop all your mana and then recall and your excuss is always you are a dexxer?
Juking is not the same as running, and why would I ever need to off-screen people who hally/harm/hally/harm/hally the whole fight? It doesn't work for people who counter it by mini healing+juking. Whenever someone complains that I'm juking I just tell them that I have no choice since they're exploiting an inaccurate mechanic that allows them to hit as fast as a dex monkey. Thus they must be countered in the same way as dexers are, it's that simple.

It's unfortunate that dexers aren't nearly as good as pure tank mages but that's just how UO has always been, mages are king and have far more control over combat. The same reason dexers have a hard time killing runners is the same reason 35dex hallyspam mages do. They both rely on melee which isn't ranged nor is it reliable because it's a 50% chance-to-hit. Spells are consistently more damaging vs GM resist than vanq weapons are against GM wrestling.

Of course if someone doesn't use spells and mana wisely(patience, timing, choice) then they won't be very effective since they won't be able to pull off "insta-kills".

Really i always thought a dexxer wears armor? haha so sad
When I say dexer I'm referring to the fact that people rely on hally more than spells, which is backwards as hell for UO pvp. Just because you dress like a mage doesn't make you one Azeroth, that's artificial.

You remember this fight? It was a mount duel, you died in explo+ebolt+hally(no precasting involved). The fight only lasted like a minute and I was only out of roughly 45-50 mana, how would that be possible if I used tactics like hally/harm/hally/harm? Fairly impossible vs average or even slightly below mediocre pvpers.

Dude that was like 2 years ago and i never wanted to join your guild

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

i never wanted to join your guild
You did a while back and have had a minor grudge since = P

Azeroth

Post by Azeroth »

Which Guild? C^V or your war guild and to be honest you dont even field why would i want to join you.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Discussions about grudges and similar relationships do not belong in this sub-forum.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org