Why are there never anymore server events>?

Post your player run event here.
Forum rules
Please make the topic as descriptive and concise as possible. If your event has not been changed to sticky or announce and you would like it to be, please contact a staff member. Announced events, which show up on our main website Must include the event date in the topic title.
Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Why are there never anymore server events>?

Post by Menkaure »

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, but, anyways...
I quit 2 years ago. Before I quit, ther ewere always Capture the Flags, and Dueling tournaments, etc;
Since Ive been back (about a month and a half now), I have yet to see ONE server event. Whats going on?
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Pirul

Re: Why are there never anymore server events>?

Post by Pirul »

Events were cancelled due to expliots.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Pirul wrote:Events were cancelled due to expliots.

Say what?
What happened? And theres no way it can be fixxed? Man, so that really sucks, no wander silver is so expensive now.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Menkaure wrote:

Say what?
What happened? And theres no way it can be fixxed? Man, so that really sucks, no wander silver is so expensive now.

Were only a few exploits and fairly simple ones to fix at that. After this much time, can't be much more obvious that staff no longer wants them whatsoever.

Scienter

Post by Scienter »

Rammar wrote:
Menkaure wrote:

Say what?

Were only a few exploits and fairly simple ones to fix at that. After this much time, can't be much more obvious that staff no longer wants them whatsoever.
I PM'd him to avoid a huge discussion, but I basically said the same thing. The exploit that put it over the top was something very silly and insignificant. I'll go ahead and type it out.

You could join an event "ALIVE" by double clicking the books and signing up on a "in stat loss" character. After that, you could goof off on that character before the event started. For example, when the event was starting in 10 seconds or whatever, I would recall to WBB roof and get guard whacked for entertainment purposes. Whatever wasn't looted off my corspe in that short time frame would get pulled with me when the event started and put into my inventory when I was res'd with out penality for the purpose of the event. The disappointment I caused individuals on top of WBB was gratifying. "WTF happened to his loot?"

The arguement was, if I had a 100k bounty on my head. I could cash it in with out penality. The reason I find this silly is that I'm under the assumption nobody would give away free gold like that on a bounty. Chances are an individual put the bounty on themselves in order to have their name on top of the leader board. In addition to that, most murderers who achieved that status don't want to lose their name on top of the leader board to participate in this bug and cash out on their own gold.

Once the events were cut out for that, the event haters made great efforts to prevent them from coming back.

So depending on your playstyle, the end game for the pvp community or people interested in getting involved with pvp is simple. You lose a lot of resources chasing someone around until they recall. In order to recover those resources you gather them by whatever you do, farming etc. Gold flushes away everytime you engage in a fight win or lose. There are no competitive stats taken like a leaderboard or anything. Which leaves only the rational individual to realize that the end game is in the trash talk forum.

Anyways, I don't think the administration ever understand the bug in its entirety. I think they were told that you could join an event on a stat character that is already dead and res with out penality. That's the notion I was getting which simply isn't true. You couldn't double click the book.
Thank you,

-Scienter
"The Great One"
FT$
PM me with reflect bracelets or charged halberds!
New Vent Info:
IP:uosa.puddleboy.com
port:4490
Need a channel? Fill out the information here: http://secondage.puddleboy.com

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

This is insanity. Bring the events back, they were fun, and I thought everyone enjoyed them. Man, this is such a shame. Before I quit this game the first time, the only reason I would log on is for CTF and duels tourny etc; come on guys, bring em back!
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abyz »

I really really think these should be brought back. I haven't spoken to one person who's against it, and tbh.... Things are tending to get pretty stale. All the stats on myuosa are nothing short of torture. I really appreciate uosa being available for us to enjoy. I also love the pursuit of era accuracy. I just don't see how automated events possibly detract from era accuracy, when that term applies mainly to mechanics. Weren't all osi servers different from each other due to staff/player influence? I try my best not to think about uosa no longer having an events or duel ladder. When I do, I get sad. When I look on myuosa at all the old tourney stats I get a little sick. It's fn stupid not to have this grand avenue for fun available anymore. I feel the burnout wall creeping up on me again, and events sure help alleviate that. It doesnt seem like there are any events period... Not even a staff hosted mobathon. Can staff run a tourney from time to time? Can staff run a ctf from time to time? Didn't staff IN ERA do this kind of stuff, from time to time?
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

Millerisfuntoplay

Post by Millerisfuntoplay »

Another reason events are gone is because you touch yourself.

Populus

Post by Populus »

Menkaure wrote:This is insanity. Bring the events back, they were fun, and I thought everyone enjoyed them. Man, this is such a shame. Before I quit this game the first time, the only reason I would log on is for CTF and duels tourny etc; come on guys, bring em back!
This is one of the reasons I am extremely glad events won't be coming back.
ImageImageImage
[cA]

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Populus wrote:
Menkaure wrote:This is insanity. Bring the events back, they were fun, and I thought everyone enjoyed them. Man, this is such a shame. Before I quit this game the first time, the only reason I would log on is for CTF and duels tourny etc; come on guys, bring em back!
People not logging in at all is better I agree

Millerisfuntoplay

Post by Millerisfuntoplay »

Dutch wrote:
Populus wrote:
People not logging in at all is better I agree
I love it when people login to refresh there 15 houses and then relog

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

I was left under the impression that staff didn't want the auto events to come back for 3 main reasons.

(1) There was a question about the era accuracy of the events

(2) The staff figured by doing away with auto events, they would encourage more player run events, which they would prefer that people participate in.

(3) As stated above, there were many people that only logged into the server to participate in the events. Even tho this gave us higher numbers during those event times, those numbers weren't reflective of the actual activity of the shard. They want people to PLAY the game, not just hop on for an hour every few days to get free silver.

These were the reasons I was given for events not returning.
|| Atx Mini Mall | Atraxi's Great Real Estate ||

IRC: Atraxi on @#bpd +#NEW #SecondAge #C^V

<GreenPlastic> I want Five Guys inside me right now
Millerisfuntoplay wrote:Atraxi pwned me =(

Grifty McGrift

Post by Grifty McGrift »

I am a new player on this shard. Despite my forum creation date, i've only been playing here for 4-5 months. I would really like a chance to participate in some of these events. Atraxi mentioned that staff was hoping to drive players to organize and run their own events. While i cannot compare the number of events now to how they were prior to the auotmatic staff events. I can say there are not many player run events to participate in.

Everyone plays UO for their own reason. That why is this game is timeless. If someone wants to log in only to engage in automatic staff events, i dont see why that is a problem. Those who are motivated by other aspects of the game (role-playing, dungeon crawls, thievery, etc.) aren't going to suddenly change who they are. Each unqiue element of the game as a player-created community around it. Auotmatic staff events would simply create another.

Another important factor in discontinuing these events is silver. It is extremely difficult for new players (and maybe old players too) to obtain silver, or specifically, enough silver to obtain rewards. Recreating a way to obtain silver would add another motivational factor to drive a player to actually play.

I really hope staff can reconsider their decision to discontinue these events.
"They used to call me Grifty McGrift. I wrote the book on flim-flammin"

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

There will be events. So many events.

Your mind will be blown.

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abyz »

I try to actually run events, and its been more frustrating than rewarding. I have tried to get a little help from staff to make it a little more worthwhile, but I guess they are too busy to reply to my PMs. The league I'm attempting will probably be my last adventure in event running... It all depends on my fun/frustration ratio after everything is finished. Doing our own events is simply not worth the trouble in my experience. It's cumbersome, inefficient, open to much grief, and not worth the time/gold/effort.

What's wrong with having events? I still have heard no worthwhile answer. Events wouldnt stop me from taking part in the uo activities I already enjoy. I'd still duel, field, and farm.... I think most people would. Take silver out of it and I'd still really like to enjoy the automated events. I bet a lot of people would agree.
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com