Issues with running Multi Clients

Topics related to Second Age
Ambidextrious

Issues with running Multi Clients

Post by Ambidextrious »

First, I'd like to say that this shard is awesome, and I feel what I'm about to say is about benefit the shard in the long run.

In the following, I will list both the Pros, and cons of running multi clients. I feel that this is an issue that needs to be addressed quickly. While I'm not saying do away with doing it, I'd feel that some sort of limitation needs to be set so that players aren't abusing the "gift" Derrick and Nevermore have given us. (Yes multi clienting is a gift, because they could say it's not allowed at all). This includes, prohibiting various things that each account can do. Either doing this or that should suffice, not running to your other characters aide when s/he is in distress knowing that you can eliminate any issues that occur.

Now, onto the pros which I will follow by the cons in a later section (after the pros :D)

Many problems can arise from this issue, however, in some cases, the shard i.e., the economy can profit from these multi clienters. Let's take a look at an example.

Player A is Blue. He has 3 accounts which are named the following; Player A1, Player A2, Player A3 (Player A1 is primary which is his blue). Now, Player A1 is well known and well liked, he is a PvM and buys all his good from vendors and sells only to vendors. Which of course essentially is BAD for economy. However, his other account, Player A2 is a crafter/mule character which allows more money to flow throughout the server which is good. All players buy goods from Player A2. Player A2 is the supplier for Player A1 as well as, Player A3. Player A3 is a Red player or PK. He is funded by Player A2. When Player A3 kills someone and loots there things, the random player he kills, goes and buys from Player A2. Which of course is good because it moves money in the economy. This also boosts economy by more players buying from player vendors (Note: not every single player buys from Player A2). This is also good because it makes people want to buy the goods Player A2 has and to buy things, you obviously need money. Which in turn, will lead to more money spent on proper armor, weapons, potions, bandages, etc....

Now, someone might say, "Well, this could happen at any moment or anytime". You're right, as it should happen this way. However, it SHOULD NOT happen this way. As mentioned before, Player A has multiple accounts and is well known through the community. Well Player A1 (The PvM), often stays at Brit bank hanging around. When Player A1 sees Player B leave town to go to somewhere, Player A1 takes advantage of this and kills Player B. Now, Player B responds accordingly and attempts to acquire his thing, which aren't there. Now Player B is stuck with no money and now must contemplate on how to acquire some. Which upon thinking about it for a moment, he comes to the conclusion that he can't and decides to just stay in town and Macro his skills. Which, is harmful to the economy because it can happen to a variety of players which if each player ends up like Player B and scarcely leaves town, the economy will be shot. Of course others will say, "That doesn't happen too often". You'd be surprised of how this works. Player A1 is at keys and is asked by another player if he wants to go to a dungeon. Upon intercepting this knowledge, Player A decides to get on Player A3 and PK the 2 (or one or however many).

Now I'm not saying this is going to happen to EVERY shard that allows multi clients. This is however a possible side effect of multi clients. Also, this is bad because it allows people not to work for their skills. (Which, some skills are better of being macroed :S) An example of this is, a player has a GM mage and starts another character that is going to have the skill Resist Spells. All he has to do is macro a spell on the other player allowing the opposing player to gain resist.

I'm not suggesting ridding the shard of Multi Clients, but I am saying that there should be VERY STRICT rules on what the player can do with multi clients.

Finally, thank you for reading (if you did).

PLEASE RESPOND ACCORDINGLY. DO NOT BE IMMATURE IN YOUR RESPONSE. I PROPOSED WHAT I FELT COULD BE OR IS A PROBLEM. I WILL ADD MORE AT A LATER TIME.

do0m

Re: Issues with running Multi Clients

Post by do0m »

this could all be done with 1 account anyway.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

This is very interesting. We have a 3 account per person rule which is strictly enforced. There are many reasons why it's not a good idea to allow players to have an unlimited number of accounts but I feel it's reasonable to allow players do have multiple accounts and multiple clients. I multicliented myself even back in OSI in the T2A era so that I could run my crafters/fisher, while playing on my primary character. Back then the people that could do that were limited to who wanted to dish out the extra money for the account.

Ambidextrious

Post by Ambidextrious »

I don't have a problem with anyone that Multi Clients nor do I have a problem with doing it in general. I was just saying it's unfair in some aspects that a player can abuse the fact that we are allowed to Multi Client.

do0m

Post by do0m »

Ambidextrious wrote:I don't have a problem with anyone that Multi Clients nor do I have a problem with doing it in general. I was just saying it's unfair in some aspects that a player can abuse the fact that we are allowed to Multi Client.
Welcome to Ultima Online.

DemonArkanis

Post by DemonArkanis »

I feel like the pk topic is about me :D

Ambidextrious

Post by Ambidextrious »

Naw. In general if I was going to drop names, I would have. :P

dirk smallwood

Post by dirk smallwood »

I personally don't see anyway that you could prevent multiclients that couldnt easily be gotten around.