Stables still broken?

Topics related to Second Age
magicknight316

Stables still broken?

Post by magicknight316 »

I used to play here a long time ago, I had a tamer. I quit because I could never stable my dragons or white wyrms. I was just wondering if it has been fixed. There is a group of 4, including myself, of us that want to play again. But, at the same time we find it pointless if tamers are non-existent because they can't stable anything.

Thanks-

Might I consider that if this is still a problem, they implement a system to either increase the slots available, or control the slot usage. Even the idea of bringing in a personal vendor that you can place on/in your house that allows you access to private stables would suffice.

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Stables still broken?

Post by morgan1109 »

stables are still full. I only monitor 3 stables and found 38 spots in the last two weeks. You actually have to put "some" effort into it, but not a lot. I gave away 30 of the 38. I wasn't trying per se, just picking up or dropping off and noticed some spots open and handed them out to a guy who needed some.

Previous to that I spent a couple weeks building up a 60 wyrm herd. when I finally lucked out and got 60 in one spot, I gave away the 20 I had at another stable and moved the wyrms over.

so total with checking 3 stables once per day I amassed 118 spots in a month and had 15 prior to that with frenzy's and such. I was probably a little lucky. One of the three stables I never got more than 5 spots from, so most of those are from two of the stables. Anybody who has spent the time GM'ing a tamer (compassion, hell hounds, hell cats, etc) probably wouldn't even call that "hard".

If you are sincere, come back and join us. I've still got the other 8 spots holding trash pets. I can spot you those while you build up your stable.

If you are trying to troll, then toughen up ya pansy. Yes it sucks, but anyone who can't put some effort into it has no business playing this game on any shard let alone a T2A one.
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Djimon - Smith/Tinker/Carpenter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Drunk'n Disorder »

morgan1109 wrote:If you are trying to troll, then toughen up ya pansy. Yes it sucks, but anyone who can't put some effort into it has no business playing this game on any shard let alone a T2A one.
I'm surprised to see you take this stance. Anyways, I'd rather reproduce the "game play" than "era mechanics"... Even though it was possible, you just didn't see large herds of dragons or WW's. I don't remember seeing anyone with a turret ever on OSI. And I certainly never had a problem stabling a pack horse.

Here ye here ye, reopen the stable slot discussion. either limit slots per player or make them unlimited.
PM on Discord - Nordic-IceMonkey

a nerd

Post by a nerd »

Yes.

The Gods

Post by The Gods »

magicknight316 wrote:I used to play here a long time ago, I had a tamer. I quit because I could never stable my dragons or white wyrms. I was just wondering if it has been fixed. There is a group of 4, including myself, of us that want to play again. But, at the same time we find it pointless if tamers are non-existent because they can't stable anything.

Thanks-

Might I consider that if this is still a problem, they implement a system to either increase the slots available, or control the slot usage. Even the idea of bringing in a personal vendor that you can place on/in your house that allows you access to private stables would suffice.
if it means u all coming back i will give each of u 10 slots myself

The Gods

Post by The Gods »

Drunk'n Disorder wrote:
morgan1109 wrote:If you are trying to troll, then toughen up ya pansy. Yes it sucks, but anyone who can't put some effort into it has no business playing this game on any shard let alone a T2A one.
I'm surprised to see you take this stance. Anyways, I'd rather reproduce the "game play" than "era mechanics"... Even though it was possible, you just didn't see large herds of dragons or WW's. I don't remember seeing anyone with a turret ever on OSI. And I certainly never had a problem stabling a pack horse.

Here ye here ye, reopen the stable slot discussion. either limit slots per player or make them unlimited.
yah catskills i never ever seen it say stables are full...partly y u never seen turrets is most ppl didnt have that many before uor and then once uor hit u could only have 5 damn follower "spots" or whatever u wanna call em...so i could only have drag and mare or 2 drags or ww and horse..

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

just like in a gunfight the tools make all the difference. 3 accounts per person with 5 slots each, and a macro tool make all the difference. If we want to recreate the era all we need to do is eliminate two of the accounts per son, and make razor a bannable offense. We'll have 3 players left...

some things you can't control (player knowledge). Some things you need to offer. Mechanics is the best way to approach it because we can't wipe away the knowledge and we need a couple carrots to compete with the other shards.
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

morgan1109 wrote:just like in a gunfight the tools make all the difference. 3 accounts per person with 5 slots each, and a macro tool make all the difference. If we want to recreate the era all we need to do is eliminate two of the accounts per son, and make razor a bannable offense. We'll have 3 players left...

some things you can't control (player knowledge). Some things you need to offer. Mechanics is the best way to approach it because we can't wipe away the knowledge and we need a couple carrots to compete with the other shards.
UO Assist was legitimate to use and works almost exactly the same as razor. The biggest difference is, that to this day you still have to buy UO Assist...

magicknight316

Post by magicknight316 »

Morgan, I am not entirely sure where the snarky response is coming from. My tamer is 98.2 I believe. As far as the "taking the time" remarks, when I play a game i do take time. However, sometimes I need to jump off game rather quickly, that would require me to run to stables and quickly stable a pet. Not toggle characters and bounce slots around and beg them from other people who are hoarding them or buy them from others.

When I played UO:R, on a server with thousands of players, in an age where 1gb was a lot of data compared to today, I never came across "full" stables.

This should be an easy mechanic to control, and it's bound to dissuade new players. Who wants to join a server where they cant even stable a horse because server vets have 118 white wyrms?

I am not trolling, i legitimately want to play again. I just remember it being frustrating and was hoping it was fixed is all. I still have my tamer lol. Thanks gods, I'll talk to my friends and see if they want to play.

Do you guys see tamers a lot? I mean part of the fun was always harassing tamers or being harassed by them. It's just one more thing that made UO diverse and fun.

Miliardo

Post by Miliardo »

morgan1109 wrote:stables are still full. I only monitor 3 stables and found 38 spots in the last two weeks. You actually have to put "some" effort into it, but not a lot. I gave away 30 of the 38. I wasn't trying per se, just picking up or dropping off and noticed some spots open and handed them out to a guy who needed some.

Previous to that I spent a couple weeks building up a 60 wyrm herd. when I finally lucked out and got 60 in one spot, I gave away the 20 I had at another stable and moved the wyrms over.

so total with checking 3 stables once per day I amassed 118 spots in a month and had 15 prior to that with frenzy's and such. I was probably a little lucky. One of the three stables I never got more than 5 spots from, so most of those are from two of the stables. Anybody who has spent the time GM'ing a tamer (compassion, hell hounds, hell cats, etc) probably wouldn't even call that "hard".

If you are sincere, come back and join us. I've still got the other 8 spots holding trash pets. I can spot you those while you build up your stable.

If you are trying to troll, then toughen up ya pansy. Yes it sucks, but anyone who can't put some effort into it has no business playing this game on any shard let alone a T2A one.
1st. "You actually have to put some effort into it?" I played UO from 98-03 and never had this issue on servers that had THOUSANDS of active players.

2nd. 118 slots for 1 player? give me a break! 60 Wyrm herd?!? wow.... It's UO you can do what you want i guess but 1 player shows how much abuse that is happening on one game mechanic. In regards to GMing a tamer... had several and official clients and non official clients i have never used more than 1 WW and some Dragons..... Not only do your prevent other tamers. This blocks miners from using pack mules and non tamer based characters from using stables. using multi accounts to hold spots for other characters is either fear mongering or a clear id of a broken mechanic. Seriously double or triple the stable slot size.... the amount of data and strain on servers at this day and age is nothing.... read #1 again....

3rd. being 1 of the 4 friends of the poster. Why are people hold trash spots to begin with you are limit the growth of this server how many people come and go like i nearly did when i discovered i could not even stable my horse at several stables that day. ... read #1 again....

Aeris
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Aeris »

Miliardo wrote:Why are people hold trash spots to begin with you are limit the growth of this server how many people come and go like i nearly did when i discovered i could not even stable my horse at several stables that day.
With all respect kind sir: it only takes ONE person so completely destroy any good will achieved by hundreds of others foregoing all their trash slots. If hundreds gives up their slots, one person can come along and troll the shard by re-stabling those slots. That's why I think it's great we have people like morgan1109 who have trash pets specifically so that he can give them to others who need them when they need them. He puts in the work and gives them for free, when he could charge 500gp per (fair price) or more if he wanted.

I find it amusing that a hundred times as many people complain about stables as do about housing, when effectively they are identical mechanical problems. Everyone's okay with there existing a real estate market, why are people so sore about a stable market existing? I offered free slots for over a year. I think I got about ten requests. All it would have taken was a simple forum search for stable slots and you would have found a guy giving them away for free.

Sorry, I know it sucks you can't just claim pets, farm with them, and restable them and that be it. You need to reserve your slots while you're farming. This is done with cats or rats or dogs, and very cheaply and easily. If you only need a few dragons and a white wyrm for all your UO needs, then, seriously, why is this a barrier to you playing? morgan1109 just offered you eight! If you've got a tamer, you could gate a white wyrm into level 1 Despise (headless, mongbats, slimes, etc.) and pull 500 gold in 5 minutes. Why can't you just buy a rat for 106gp and stable it for another 30 each time you want to farm? Tamers are seriously wayyyyyyyyyyyy too OP enough as it is. I think this is a very minor balancing mechanism to the OP tamer trade.

I really don't disagree that stables should just be unlimited so long as they are refreshed every two weeks (after all, we can put a billion individual items into a single small house, why can't we have unlimited pets), I just don't understand the soreness around it.
Taboo wrote:News flash, you are weak as fuck and can do nothing to detour me.

You have a cat dancing around mixing a record on your signature. Shut the fuck up farnk.

/next

morgan1109
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by morgan1109 »

I gave two answers initially because I was not sure if you were sincere, or trolling at the time. I retract my trolling comment. Like I said above, if you want to come over the 8 slots are yours, and I could free up another 10 slots without a problem (50 wyrms is a fine number). Since you guys only need two or three apiece for your playstyle, you should all be able to move over no problem.

The big wyrm herd has a specific purpose. Magic resist training. You can go from 55-GM resist in 6 hours with a 60 wyrm herd. I trained up resist on all my characters. I'm now looking to cover the guild for whoever needs it, and we'll see from there. I clearly have no desire to hog slots, but it takes time to build the herd. I need to make sure I've run out of use for them before I open the slots up and likely give them away.

It's not easy, but it's not hard getting slots which was what I was trying to communicate. You can't just walk into a stable and expect there to be slots, but it doesn't take much at all to maintain them once you've got them. I can give the slots you need to come back. With 98 taming just tame a cow or something in the stable to hold your slot when you pull the pet out. It takes 10 seconds and your slot or slots are held for 30 gold. Your only real costs is 30 gold and one trip per week to maintain them. Problem solved.
Thanks,

Eomin - Armsman
Varak - Treasure Hunter
Lorne - Scribe
Herm - Assassin

Treysta

Post by Treysta »

The tragedy of the commons!
The tragedy of the commons is a term [...] to denote a situation where individuals acting independently and rationally according to each's self-interest behave contrary to the best interests of the whole group by depleting some common resource.
I know this is a longshot, but I would consider investing good gold in someone who could organize an unofficial nonprofit stable service to help out new players. If this sounds like it might interest you, PM me.
^

Drunk'n Disorder
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Treysta wrote:The tragedy of the commons!
The tragedy of the commons is a term [...] to denote a situation where individuals acting independently and rationally according to each's self-interest behave contrary to the best interests of the whole group by depleting some common resource.
I know this is a longshot, but I would consider investing good gold in someone who could organize an unofficial nonprofit stable service to help out new players. If this sounds like it might interest you, PM me.

This ultimately fails new players as most of them are not in IRC and don't go to the forums yet. Just having them able to stable pets as needed would be better. Again, recreate the gameplay and not the mechanics. On OSI I never had to ask someone for stable slots, or buy rats and cats to hold slots.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Soften the "T2A accuracy" policy, make some populous changes.

Playing on an empty server is actually not that fun or rewarding.