Ostards in the Old lands, and other incorrect things..

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Ostards in the Old lands, and other incorrect things..

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I figure, that since we cannot recall from delucia to moonglow for instance, then the divide between the two should be made complete, by disallowing travel with Ostards into the old lands. It is "era-accurate", and here is a post from 2000, showing that this was true, at least up until that time...
http://web.archive.org/web/200010242327 ... hp3?id=402

Also, you should be able to cast a spell and enter a gate before the targeting cursor is up. I do not believe that you can currently do this. This post..
http://web.archive.org/web/200010221400 ... hp3?id=323
Shows that during this time it was possible, the "You are too busy with something else.." message was not added until later I think.

Sylvester

Re: Ostards in the Old lands, and other incorrect things..

Post by Sylvester »

I remember when T2A came out you could just travel through any passage back to the old lands with an ostard. When they had sent out the "beta" discs i remember people seeing me riding on thin air since they did not have the game.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The exact restrictions (at least towards end of era) on the movement of lost lands pets back to Britannia is still not completely clear to me.

The moongate restriction I concur with and it will be removed in the next publish.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

Post by RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Also, you should be able to cast a spell and enter a gate before the targeting cursor is up. I do not believe that you can currently do this. This post..
http://web.archive.org/web/200010221400 ... hp3?id=323
Shows that during this time it was possible, the "You are too busy with something else.." message was not added until later I think.

This is a goodie.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Glad to see the gate situation finally being fixed...

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Regarding the first bug, I had posted a thread about disallowing T2A animals in the old lands, and the patch which changed this rule. My stance on this is still the same due to the fact that the only way to actually get animals from T2A into the old lands was through the use of a bug.

The second bug is very similar to pre-casting fire-field outside of town and running inside and targeting the spell itself. While you did go gray, the bug allowed you to avoid being killed by any NPC that called guards (I don't know why for sure, but I'm betting that they would be calling guards on the fire field ltself). This was a very reliable tactic for killing NPC's inside town for colored sandals until the patch that made all in-town NPC's invulnerable. While I don't support intentionally placing bugs on the server, this does reveal that you could "use" an item while casting. This is also applicable to potions and other double click actions, but would not be applicable to using another skill (you would receive the "You are busy doing something else" message in that case. A patch note recording that particular change to hiding as a specific skill is dated from early-mid 99). Good find on another piece of information that supports casting and using objects.

Again, I do want to stress that while UO Shack is a potential resource for game mechanics, we should refrain from pointing out any bugs with the game that allow a player to circumvent the intended game mechanics. We won't intentionally add any exploitative bugs to the games on UOSA, and I feel that the players should be aware of that stance before posting any suggestions.

Edit: Edited to include Derrick's suggestion for clarity.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

That should probably read "exploitative bugs", as we are all pretty proud of the fun bugs, i.e., bearded ladies and whatnot.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

another bug, probably not very well known, but it affected my character in '99, which pissed me off.

i was running around vesper polymorphing. i polymorphed into a female, than i cast incognito. this permanently changed the hue of my skin. maybe possible to find some info on that, if you want to replicate old bugs... lol
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

bobjohnson

Post by bobjohnson »

Derrick wrote:The exact restrictions (at least towards end of era) on the movement of lost lands pets back to Britannia is still not completely clear to me.

The moongate restriction I concur with and it will be removed in the next publish.
Pets from the lost lands were not able to be brought back at all during T2A. After UO:R was released, probably... late 2000's, there was a bug that would let you bring them back. Now, im not sure if this was just made public at that point, or if it was actually introduced at that point, but i remember one day seeing hundreds and hundreds of ostards at WBB in tram, and then by the next week they patched it to let you bring them over without having to exploit.

Severity

Post by Severity »

I don't agree with this at all. In fact I agree with others here that when T2A first came out, I had not purchased the add-on and I remember people flying around Britain Bank on mounts that I could not see. They were riding on nothing since I didn't have the graphic. Shortly after that I believe in about 99 one of my guildmates had a nightmare as well. I think they were rare like people have said but by filling the stables in T2A. Am I wrong?

Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Severity wrote:I don't agree with this at all. In fact I agree with others here that when T2A first came out, I had not purchased the add-on and I remember people flying around Britain Bank on mounts that I could not see. They were riding on nothing since I didn't have the graphic. Shortly after that I believe in about 99 one of my guildmates had a nightmare as well. I think they were rare like people have said but by filling the stables in T2A. Am I wrong?
Thanks, i definitely rode my ostards and such LEGALLY back into the main lands at the start of t2a and beta.

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

Yeah, as I said in the last thread about this, I also remember being able to ride my ostards and llamas through to Brittania.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Well, those that don't remember this should gladly allow the GM to delete their own on sight.

;)

Severity

Post by Severity »

Perhaps this was different depending on your server. I played on Catskills.

Proselyte

Post by Proselyte »

I also remember the "invisible mounts" and after I bought the expansion seeing ostards and even riding them myself in the old lands.

I quit very shortly after UO:R.