Enticing and stealing peoples horses/pets in town.

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Enticing and stealing peoples horses/pets in town.

Post by GuardianKnight »

I dunno about you but this feels like a bug because stealing anything else gets you guard wacked. I have seen it 3 times so far ...1 time it happened to me. They ignore commands and get lured to a gate IN TOWN.

You should be guard wacked for using a harmful ability in town.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Enticing and stealing peoples horses/pets in town.

Post by Chaos »

sorry not flaming .. but ..

LOL ..

look up the skills of a bard .. its what they do .. its a part of the game .. the things that the great ones gave so that we can learn to make a living in game .. it the reason that we arn't w.o.w players could chose mix match .. from some over 50 (or so i think not going to count again lol ) skills each of which affect game play . and then there is player invented scams .. same that go on every day in the real world .. it make the eco real .. and the game play real ..

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Seems like this should be in the Discussion section.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

How are we sure that enticing pets was even possible, and that it also didn't make you grey? I've read tons on enticement from the era and never heard of a single mention of enticing pets or blue creatures.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Xukluk Tuguznal

Post by Xukluk Tuguznal »

Hemperor wrote:How are we sure that enticing pets was even possible, and that it also didn't make you grey? I've read tons on enticement from the era and never heard of a single mention of enticing pets or blue creatures.
I'm with ya on this. It seems strange to be able to entice a pet away from its owner, and yet you can not provoke a pet on to its owner because of its loyalty. Shouldn't the loyalty over ride an entice?
Tforc YM wrote: if you are over 24 though do not apply because i dont like nerdy people who dont get there lifes past uo. also if you do not have a microphone or vent then i can not make you into a good player, sorry , dont apply.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Seems like this should be in the Discussion section.

It's in the bug section because it's a bug. There's no era accuracy discussion needed here. If i can't randomly spar with someones horse in town then you shouldn't be able to drag it through a gate in town.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Hemperor wrote:How are we sure that enticing pets was even possible, and that it also didn't make you grey? I've read tons on enticement from the era and never heard of a single mention of enticing pets or blue creatures.
BS and you know it Hemp, you had me steal two dragons yourself.
Enticement has been nerfed quite a bit actually as you can read the Wiki on it
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?title=Enticement
You can see you can lure pets away with enticement as noted.
You can no longer gate monsters but you can gate pets hirelings and summons. They never once made it so you could not gate your followers so enticing through gates was still possible...unless of course you want to walk your little dragons around I gave you when I tested it.
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?t ... 09/16/1998
Enticement didnt have negative flags until later after the T2A era with the new bard classes as depicted here
http://update.uo.com/design_408.html
And to be quite fair I made sure everyone knew that such a thing could happen when I found out it could be done. Put that in your trash barrel and lock it down.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Unfortunately you went completely off topic by linking posts from a group I directed you towards which did not mention anything that had to do with my questions.

Fortunately enough though, I have confirmed that you can entice pets in the demo without turning criminal. However every single time (out of 50+ tries from different areas) the message "It can't seem to get to you" would pop up.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

You should be guard wacked for using a harmful ability in town.
Why is enticing a pet a harmfull action? Maybe it is standing in the way and the enticer just wants to move it a few tiles.

I do wonder what will happen if multiple enticers want and start to command the same pet to different locations at the same time.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

I am not asking for a change but it appears that before Jan of 2000 animal and monster spawn didnt automatically die if taken to invalid or unreachable areas such as a remote islands or your house if you look at the animal and monster spawn section of the patch notes. As long as they were neither being damaged or targeted I might add. The second patch was Feb of 2000.
Yet I am not complaining. Even if it isn't accurate.

Just saying there are other ways to get a monster out of its spawn area and all you tamers better hush about enticement before I start headlining the fact how "accurate" it is that you can take a WW out of its area and leave it without ever having a respawn until it is found and killed proof positive with the 2000 patches shown below.

http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?t ... atch_Notes

I guess also before there was this little thing called insta-ressurection. Good for townkillers, which allowed you to instantly raise with partial skill loss similar to a red's statloss (as far as I can understand) which was removed for players (young) status which instantly turned you into a ghost such as we have here. A lot of extra tid bits too if you see them all.
Last edited by archaicsubrosa77 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Batlin
wobble llama
wobble llama

Post by Batlin »

Fortunately enough though, I have confirmed that you can entice pets in the demo without turning criminal. However every single time (out of 50+ tries from different areas) the message "It can't seem to get to you" would pop up.
Looks like that's related with bad path finding :-)
http://groups.google.ru/group/rec.games ... ntice+pets
This is because the path finding in UO is really bad. It is even worse
in t2a. What you do with entice is get something to walk towards you
which requires it be able to find a way to you. NPCs and tamed pets have
trouble even negotiating stairs, so it gets even worse in uneven ground
like t2a. Getting something to take 1 step, wait 10 seconds skill delay
before you can get it to take another, maybe, gets tired.
Probably the RunUO algorithm needs to be downgraded to a T2A one.
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

I actually enjoy the use archaic (I believe he's the one who began investigating this) has brought forth for enticing, and I don't have an enticer. He thought of something new to spice up a 10 year old game. I'm tired of seeing some jackass displaying 20+ tamed horses and ostards at WBB trying to sell them, lagging me to hell. I say Steal em! Steal em all!

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

No there are people out there and I seen them, that try to sell you a mare or even lesser mounts that use a trick to get items to drop from a trade window after tricking them the pet had been transferred. With a gold scavanger on, its auto pick up for the scammer. I annoy those guys mostly, or when an enemy is in the vicinity its good to use on them as well, or a pestering theif to take his mount so he wont follow you around forever after he is guard whacked. Though it can also help theives by removing npcs that can be affected from line of sight which keeps them from getting guard whacked. Or perhaps looting a pet that you obtained by slaying a tamer.

In the beginning I did alot of experiments with unsuspecting players with entice to figure out how it would work. I wanted to try using herding too never got around to it really, I think I gated an untamed cat once. I never gated monsters as that takes alot more effort and as they were solo experiments at the time it was hard to synch everything casting gate, dispel field etc.

My primary concern was if this could be done. Using Entice to gate monsters would in all actuality be really difficult. People did it though I dont know if they used entice to gate monsters because there are/were numerous ways to do it. In some cases smuggling them by ship would seem easier with a ghost captain and a provoker.

I know that its a trick many wanted to try so it got abused right off the get go just like anything new. The fact of the matter is an enticer is just a gimmick temp used to lure wisps healers etc, steal mounts, entertain npcs or pets in house to keep them etc. Its not like they are going to be everywhere...unless of course the tamer population increases.

Some people rule over certain areas and wont let you hunt/tame in them for various reasons. Like they want the white wyrm or the mare, and they dont want you to get that spawning of them at the moment. You might have a hard time trying to get the pet you wanted so you just might need to make an enticer.

If you are a tamer think of scenerios where your pets might be in jeopardy and take the necessary precautions which you believe are necessary.

Some have offered delivery of mounts for example. Tame them as you go instead of hoarding them unsold. Maybe people would go to Moonglow searching for tamers or Delucia, Papua...they might say find me this colored ossy. Or can you get me a frenzied ossy, perhaps I just need a cheap horse.

Tamers usually can go around virtually unchallenged for the most part. Time to get their hearts beating again. They may rule the dungeons but they are easy prey in town.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:No there are people out there and I seen them, that try to sell you a mare or even lesser mounts that use a trick to get items to drop from a trade window after tricking them the pet had been transferred. With a gold scavanger on, its auto pick up for the scammer. I annoy those guys mostly, or when an enemy is in the vicinity its good to use on them as well, or a pestering theif to take his mount so he wont follow you around forever after he is guard whacked. Though it can also help theives by removing npcs that can be affected from line of sight which keeps them from getting guard whacked. Or perhaps looting a pet that you obtained by slaying a tamer.

In the beginning I did alot of experiments with unsuspecting players with entice to figure out how it would work. I wanted to try using herding too never got around to it really, I think I gated an untamed cat once. I never gated monsters as that takes alot more effort and as they were solo experiments at the time it was hard to synch everything casting gate, dispel field etc.

My primary concern was if this could be done. Using Entice to gate monsters would in all actuality be really difficult. People did it though I dont know if they used entice to gate monsters because there are/were numerous ways to do it. In some cases smuggling them by ship would seem easier with a ghost captain and a provoker.

I know that its a trick many wanted to try so it got abused right off the get go just like anything new. The fact of the matter is an enticer is just a gimmick temp used to lure wisps healers etc, steal mounts, entertain npcs or pets in house to keep them etc. Its not like they are going to be everywhere...unless of course the tamer population increases.

Some people rule over certain areas and wont let you hunt/tame in them for various reasons. Like they want the white wyrm or the mare, and they dont want you to get that spawning of them at the moment. You might have a hard time trying to get the pet you wanted so you just might need to make an enticer.

If you are a tamer think of scenerios where your pets might be in jeopardy and take the necessary precautions which you believe are necessary.

Some have offered delivery of mounts for example. Tame them as you go instead of hoarding them unsold. Maybe people would go to Moonglow searching for tamers or Delucia, Papua...they might say find me this colored ossy. Or can you get me a frenzied ossy, perhaps I just need a cheap horse.

Tamers usually can go around virtually unchallenged for the most part. Time to get their hearts beating again. They may rule the dungeons but they are easy prey in town.
lol

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

I can't access patch notes at work but there is a pre-T2A patch that talks about enticing shopkeepers and if one tries to do this something along the lines of "a punishment will follow" (they make it sound like getting guardwhacked).