Server Birth Experience

Topics related to Second Age
itwouldbewise

Server Birth Experience

Post by itwouldbewise »

Hey all,

I've been wondering what it was like for those who joined soon after this shard was created... I've obviously seen the term "server birth" frequently on the forums, seeming to refer to rare items that were initially on the map (or placed at different places by the admins?) when the shard was first created...

Anyway, if you'd like to share some of your experiences regarding what it was like to play this shard (or OSI if you got the game right when it came out) when the shard was created, I'd be interested to hear it (having only joined T2A for about 4 months myself, and also having joined OSI's server in the summer of '98 about 9 months after UO was released).
Mistah T
The Pity-er of Fools

Brules

Re: Server Birth Experience

Post by Brules »

Server births were not here on server up - they were all added one night by a GM, maybe around a christmas time - and like only a handful of people got them. They never come up for sale, and if they do - it is not on the forums (back door channels). Your best bet to ever have a chance at a server birth is get filthy rich or camp IDOC's as thats how the people I know have gotten any of the few that come up. Blackfoot's museum mafia controls the majority of them as well.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

When I first started (february 2008) they still had stun-punch enabled..

good times.. there was also an average of 50-60 players online, on a good day :wink:
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

mrbojangles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by mrbojangles »

It's funny, but "server-birth" rares here are not actually from the "server birth", that's just what they were called on OSI. A year or so after the server's creation the rares appeared on server-up, without prior announcement, only a post in the forums, havoc ensued as every active player ran to every square inch of the map and tried picking up every object. I went to parts of Britannia I didn't even know existed. I probably logged on around noon, and managed to get 3 server births (and one regular spawning rare) . Being a total noob at the time, I sold one for 60k which gave me just enough money to place my first tower. Sold the next one a little while later for a million, and still own my prized pig's head.
Omar Little(irc) / Mr Bojangles / Bowie / Snake Plisken / Martin Van Buren / Dirty Ore

Visit the The Yew Gate Shop for everything you need.

Cattie B

Post by Cattie B »

Sometime in '09 I found the small closed vase. I posted it for sale trying to earn gold for a new castle. Not knowing what I had, I sold it for a tower deed.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

I remember the launch of UO when it was tons of people still trying to get the swing of things. The days when people who could actually cast Gate were "highly skilled".

The term template was still a long way in the distance as everyone clamored to figure out the best skillset for what they wanted to do.

I started as I did here, a warrior who skinned his kills and tailored leather items to sell for gold.
Camping was extremely important for everyone who didn't feel like finding the Inn, before everyone and their alts had homes. :)

Ahh, to be a virgin UO player with 100,000 others again, that would be sweet.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

BlaiseDad wrote:The days when people who could actually cast Gate were "highly skilled".
Perfect example of why you can't compare 1999 OSI to 2011 UOSA.

Off topic but point proven in reference to other threads.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Jayrich

Post by Jayrich »

im curious to see some of these ultra rare items

anyone nice enough to post up some pics ? just wondering whats out there :)

Lord Cavewight of GL

Post by Lord Cavewight of GL »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3695

Heres the whole adventure for those of you who didnt know.

GleepGlop

Post by GleepGlop »

Check out this thread

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3695

Boone
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boone »

I wonder how many of those rares are lost now.

Adunaphel

Post by Adunaphel »

The pig head is mounted on the wall of the Yew Gate Shop.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

a decent amount are in bots keep

Boone
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boone »

Where is his keep at?

platy

Post by platy »

Sandro wrote:When I first started (february 2008) they still had stun-punch enabled..

good times.. there was also an average of 50-60 players online, on a good day :wink:
I remember this - You had a stun mage on Alatar right?
Also, with these 50-60 players online, GM's such as Derrick and Nevermore showed up and chatted at almost every event.
It was really fun.
That being said - the server birth rares were introduced last december or something, however some rares were removed after the shard came up such as the notorious "mushroom" which spawned for a few months..