Tower for sell

Buying/Selling Housing

Moderator: Trade Moderators

violator
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Tower for sell

Post by violator »

For the record, I don't think insulting Derrick is okay, but I am giving the guy the benefit of the doubt on that based on the circumstances.
Death smiles at us all, but all a man can do is smile back.

a mexican

Post by a mexican »

violator wrote:For the record, I don't think insulting Derrick is okay, but I am giving the guy the benefit of the doubt on that based on the circumstances.

I agree, the guy raged what he said was stupid but at the same time I think "He should be banned from the shard" is just as stupid of a response. We've all been there, whether it was back in '99 or in 2013

njhowen

Post by njhowen »

Flaming the victim is never going to be good, I think that at some point, either on this server or in the past we have all been a victim of some scam that has made us rage quit, either for a short time or permanently.

I agree that flaming GMs/Derrick is not the answer, and should never be, as these people graciously give their time for the benefit of others. However, many of us have jobs/volunteer in the real world, in jobs where we are victimized by other people's outbursts and lashing out because of unfair systems (personally I am a teacher/head of year and am used to taking the brunt of others' anxieties and rage; something that I am PAID to do, make no mistake about it).

The system is undoubtedly unfair and people will continue to be scammed by others around us, given anonymity many of us would turn our cheek and err on the 'evil' side, even in forums for a solid million (again, make no mistake about it!). However, this is the era that we choose to play in and we must accept it for its faults, or else we end up trading freedoms for the 'nanny-state' that OSI became.

We are lucky to have a wealth of people generous enough to give up their time to help avoid scams and broker deals for us (thank you). I just hope that I can have the humility that I preach when I am scammed again.

We have all been then. Keep your chin up and understand that what you lost were pixels. Come and stay in my small house if you wish and have a chuckle at the hours wasted in farming cash to buy your lost home.

violator
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by violator »

Exactly. I know any one of the guys in my guild would help someone out who has been scammed as well.

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

I think this thread needs to be moved at this point...
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen
Cash, The Drunken Smith
GM Miner, Tinker, Smith, Carpenter, Tailor

violator
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by violator »

Or locked. Agreed.

ujil

Post by ujil »

The problem that I see here is that a scam is being done in game, using the official forums. Even OSI during T2A has been known to punish scammers and return houses to players that got scammed during house trading. I know this because I had a rl friend involved in one case during T2A.

The admins here are so hell bent on making UOSA "era accurate." Even though that means taking the good with the bad and completely horrible, I can at least respect it.

When things like house scamming take place, and the consequences of the items and accounts of the players involved are outside the bounds of era accuracies, and the admins allow it to happen, it is something that will make people not want to play, and newcomers refrain from joining.
a mexican wrote:It has nothing to do with UOSA, it seems to me UO isn't for you. Scamming was/is part of hybrid and also exists to some form on 95% of private shards. Don't take this incorrectly but you may be better off on OSI, they have done everything they can to get rid of anything players could deem unfair.

The problem with this situation is someone created a brand new acct and scammed someone with it. I'm sure the OP Is banned now but that means little when it was a bogus account.
Your actually going to tell me, "scamming was/is part of hybrid and 95% of private shards?" Hate to break the news to you, but scamming is a part of life. That's once your incorrect, "OSI, they have done everything they can to get rid of anything players could deem unfair." that's twice your incorrect. Hmm, two incorrect assumptions leading to one incorrect conclusion. Even though your advice was bad, I suppose I at least offer a thank you, because I believe it was genuine.
Populus wrote:Scamming over the official forums is not allowed. Scamming in game is fair game, because all the victim needs to not be a victim is common sense. If you feel you are lacking in that area you should definitely leave as you are doing.
UOSA embrace the strong and powerful, weak souls are to be exploited and ridiculed.
Your trying to imply I have a certain quality and using that to insult me, which I don't take very kindly. When I first saw this thread, one of the first thoughts that went through my head was - great, so I'm gunna have to scam a bunch of people on this server. Then I took a little more time and remembered scamming people isn't something I like to do, but more importantly will make people quit.

Don't try to insult me and give some moronic reason why you think I've decided against playing UOSA when I plainly gave the actual reason in my post.

Taboo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Taboo »

IP ban after proof would be sufficient for the sane. Failure to do so shows a lack of character and judgement. Also try and take into consideration how upset this player must be at the loss considering the work he/she probably put into gathering the reasources and dismiss his disrespect as temporary rage with a warning.

On the flipside, insulting an admin is not appropriate... after all it wasn't the admin's fault and cooler heads always prevail.
Its a free to play server, show some respect to those who take the time to run and maintain it WHILE pushing for punishment should be the go to response.

Personally, if I were you and there was no punishment. I would quit.

/thread

Trephination

Post by Trephination »

Sahaquiel wrote:Your *hands off* approach to administering the server and solving problems... is it a result of apathy, incompetence, or something else?
Did the GM's do anything on OSI when you scammed?
Nope.
Seems accurate to me.

Good Job Derick =)

Halbu

Post by Halbu »

The scammer should be IP banned from the forums and have his other forum accounts banned too that are connected. As well as exposing this on the forums so everyone knows not to trade with him.

Also, we need to expose all his characters. This will screw him over from ever being able to trade with intelligent players again. And besides, he'll have to deal with me in-game since I love killing scammers and scumbags.

Has this been done?

The problem that I see here is that a scam is being done in game, using the official forums. Even OSI during T2A has been known to punish scammers and return houses to players that got scammed during house trading. I know this because I had a rl friend involved in one case during T2A.
This is true in 1999-2000 when I was 13(I'd never do this now of course cause it's just wrong!) I scammed someone of their house by making them believe a "horse deed"(looked regular deed at that time) was actually a house deed. I named the house "ASmallWoodenHome" or something and hid it behind the house with the transfer cursor ready when he got there, and the guy fell for it. He bought a brown horse for 500k.

Anyway, after the 2nd scam(done by my brother) the GM's took money from his bank and gave it back to the guy who got scammed. The GM's also put a mark against my brother's account and said don't do it again.

ujil

Post by ujil »

Some scams went unpunished during T2A. However, I've known of house scammers during T2A that had received suspension, items returned, and warning of a ban if repeated.

It really doesn't even matter that people were punished and some not punished during the time, because whether are not a player is punished for scamming is outside the bounds of whether it's era accurate or not. Any admins choosing not to punish a player for scamming aren't doing so being it's "era accurate," they feel that scamming should be allowed because it's their personal preference of how the server should be played.

It would be similar to if a diner tried to recreate the look and feel of a 1930s resturant, and then the city actually jailed a black person for dining in the white area. The decision to jail the person in this case is outside the bounds of recreating a 1930s diner.

OSI punished scammers and reversed the outcome, why not on this server?

They could at least reverse the outcome of the scam if they still choose not to punish anyone.

kevin-theidocghost
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kevin-theidocghost »

heres how i look at this
Scamming can be avioded very easily if you get scammed you prolly needed the lesson
Timelord wrote:Every single person in the game is out to kill you, loot you and take everything you own at any time.
http://www.twitch.tv/imr4350/

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

He just scammed me too.. Can someone give me some gold?
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Populus

Post by Populus »

He scammed me too. GuardianKnight please give us our gold.
ImageImageImage
[cA]

kevin-theidocghost
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kevin-theidocghost »

i got scammed for 3 mil and a gfed neon polar bear mask that said Pristiq loves me priceless really
Timelord wrote:Every single person in the game is out to kill you, loot you and take everything you own at any time.
http://www.twitch.tv/imr4350/