Define why you game.

Topics related to Second Age
Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Define why you game.

Post by Abyz »

Add challenge and fellowship to mine, and you nailed it Okg!

** I was just tryin to bust yer balls a bit!
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I didn't read the whole post but I will highlight what applies to me:

•Sensation - Game as sense-pleasure
•Fantasy - Game as make-believe
•Narrative - Game as unfolding story
•Challenge - Game as obstacle course

•Fellowship - Game as social framework
•Discovery - Game as uncharted territory
•Expression - Game as soap box
•Submission - Game as mindless pastime

Greenhell

Post by Greenhell »

The essay touches on some things I get out of gaming, but it leaves out 2 of the most compelling factors in all enduring games, and what drives people to play them for an extended period of time. Hoarding and dominating other players.

OP goes into some of the aspects of domination, such as challenging oneself to succeed and the gratification of doing well, but the driving factor is crushing the other person. Beating a competitor that is not restricted by dumb AI mechanics and has the same access to all game functions is the end-game for many gamers.

OP completely fails to mention hoarding, which is a major drive in most gamers. It's the same thing at the core of any hobby that involves collecting valuables (coins, baseball cards, shoes, etc). This goes well beyond the history of gaming, back to the beginning of human history and taps into the less appealing aspects of human nature, such as vanity, greed and envy. That castle full of rares getting refreshed every week is what keeps a lot of people attached to this game long after they have gotten tired of playing it.

Otherwise an amusing article.

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

Was make others rage an option?
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

I play because:

1) I love the visuals. UOSA 2-dimensional graphics is more pleasing than 3-D graphics and more modern games.
2) Large open world where you can pretty much do what you want. But the world is small enough to be manageable.
3) I'm a collector.
3) I'm addicted.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

I play 'sometimes' in hopes that you all quit and i'm the last person here. My roleplay will finally get to begin, as I'm the last person in the world. I'll tame a dog and hide from orcs that will be invading the cities. I'll be out on my usual run through the city and I'll come across a girl and her kid who need my help.

I reluctantly go to help her and she comes to live with me until she realizes I'm experimenting on orcs. Also, I'm black....And I'm will smith. The server will stop forever after I die in game. It will be self sacrifice, after I blow myself up with dragon fire to give the girl time to get the cure for orcism to what appears to be a city of people living in the swamps.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Guerrilla

Post by Guerrilla »

I play for the haters
Halleluyah
<DemonArkanis> hopefully ill go to hell and not have to listen to your bullshit

Millerisfuntoplay

Post by Millerisfuntoplay »

GuardianKnight wrote:I play 'sometimes' in hopes that you all quit and i'm the last person here. My roleplay will finally get to begin, as I'm the last person in the world. I'll tame a dog and hide from orcs that will be invading the cities. I'll be out on my usual run through the city and I'll come across a girl and her kid who need my help.

I reluctantly go to help her and she comes to live with me until she realizes I'm experimenting on orcs. Also, I'm black....And I'm will smith. The server will stop forever after I die in game. It will be self sacrifice, after I blow myself up with dragon fire to give the girl time to get the cure for orcism to what appears to be a city of people living in the swamps.
We all know the real reason you play GK. Those damn white hats