Why a few can spoil it for the many (rares)

Topics related to Second Age
Kahdmus

Why a few can spoil it for the many (rares)

Post by Kahdmus »

I could be out of line here, but it appears there are a few who do not intend to play for the fun, but more to control the game and the availability of resources.

What is also sad, is the griefing and abusiveness towards friendly, casual players (who seek to gather a few nice pixels for their virtual residence) by the handful of hardcore rare-campers. Its a shame to see this on such a friendly, community-orientated server, that is generally so welcoming and helpful towards others.

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Why a few can spoil it for the many (rares)

Post by Budner »

Don't see how a small group of players could "control" the rares market. Rares are widely held by the population. Newly spawned rares will find their way to market. Or if they don't find their way to market, they become too expensive relative to other rares and won't sell.

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

Kahdmus wrote:but it appears there are a few who do not intend to play for the fun, but more to control the game and the availability of resources.

This is what it is and has been for many years. You either PvP or land grab/control resources by any "legal" means.

The ladder funds the former.
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

Jakob

Post by Jakob »

This is why a few heroes have risen up against this tyranny. Such as Franz Pfniffel, a man of the people!
Lankgord: Hello. I'm New To The Server. Any Drama Going On Lately?

[20:38] <newYorK>i love how franz is in game robbing me while im reading his comic
[20:38] <newYorK> priceless

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

This is why the rare spawning system should be changed over to the era-accurate "spawns at server up" method, rather than this silly timer system that only benefits macro-controled rares bots.

ScoobyDoO

Post by ScoobyDoO »

MatronDeWinter wrote:This is why the rare spawning system should be changed over to the era-accurate "spawns at server up" method, rather than this silly timer system that only benefits macro-controled rares bots.
I'm not a rare collector and never have been but they don't spawn at server up? I have always thought they spawn at server up like they did back in the day. How would you know at what point in the day it does spawn? I've always wanted to at least nab a fruit basket or something just to say I've been there and done thought. It's the only thing I haven't done in UO from my 1997 start at UO.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

MatronDeWinter wrote:This is why the rare spawning system should be changed over to the era-accurate "spawns at server up" method, rather than this silly timer system that only benefits macro-controled rares bots.
Would much prefer it myself. A millionth the effort required, and a lot more time to macro more sane profit making opportunities.

One huge downside though. There is little-to-no way to positively detect someone using illegal means in this scenario -- and they certainly would. And no way to effectively out-compete/grief them as there is under the current system.

GleepGlop

Post by GleepGlop »

Nobody is using illegal means, just razor macros. Pretty easy to know who belongs to the group that runs all those bots, they're even in a guild together. Few probably even know that the most expensive rares don't take a long time to spawn like the candelabra which spawns faster than a lot of rares that go for <80% the price. Is gold really that hard to get anyway?

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

GleepGlop wrote:Nobody is using illegal means, just razor macros. Pretty easy to know who belongs to the group that runs all those bots, they're even in a guild together.
You're being naive, but this isn't the place to point out examples. Not everyone that tries their hand at it has the same integrity as you did. The Mafia, however, is always happy to provide staff with any information they desire. ;)

Good to see you're still around.

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

It's a legit playstyle. If I were you, I'd start townkilling these people!

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

Budner wrote: Newly spawned rares will find their way to market. Or if they don't find their way to market, they become too expensive relative to other rares and won't sell.
Unusually, you sir are incorrect. If one person or group controls said resource then they determine the price. Monopolizing a resource is a simple way of generating revenue so it makes sense that some people want to do it. They cannot be 'too expensive' because if one entity owns all of that resource they will sell to the highest willing payee. Considering the disparity in wealth on this server (as will all UO servers over a long time of existence) there will be plenty of people willing to pay top gold nuggets for those pixels they want but can't get themselves.
inkognito wrote:
The ladder funds the former.
Latter :P
While less likely to generate monopolizing due to razor macros, this has one powerful shortcoming, it would greatly favor player with access to their computers during server up, which a lot of players on this server do not have.
GleepGlop wrote:Nobody is using illegal means, just razor macros.
From the rules page: "You may not gather things unattended. This includes Mining, Lumberjacking, lockpicking in dungeons, cotton picking/sheep shearing, and fishing. You may also not sell items to vendors AFK for profit."
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Other than hued masks and cool sandals, rares are the lawlz. And thats the beauty of UO, some people dont care for the pvp, or even the pvm, they just want to collect rares, and if thats what tickles their fancy, then so be it!
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

DrFaustus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by DrFaustus »

Rofl
Derrick wrote::cry: :( :o :lol: :roll: :wink:

Happy Gilmore

Post by Happy Gilmore »

blah
Last edited by Happy Gilmore on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Draegon

Post by Draegon »

People do have the rare spawns down to a science with chars who login around that time, sit there with a simple razor UO drag and drop macro, recall out or just stay hidden and log out there. I killed a gentleman when I was heavily playing (2-3 times a week) a few years ago. This man was near a certain rare spawn and when I killed his AFK Char who was waiting for a certain item to spawn and his client to detect it, pick it up and drag it into his bag. I got nearly 35+ of that same rare and it was a nice one to :)