I suggest bans for scamming through the forums

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

I suggest bans for scamming through the forums

Post by Fwerp »

This is the case on most shards I've played. If not a ban, you should have serious repercussions for scamming using the forums here. Just my two cents.

Daltrey

Re: I suggest bans for scamming through the forums

Post by Daltrey »

We do have the ability to proactively self-police through the forums. Who is scamming?

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

Start a thread by whom you got scammed by and if possible list their IRC IP......I was thinking about this the other day myself.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Just added:
Trading Post rules wrote: Scamming while permitted in-game may not be perpetrated though the forums or IRC. However, do not take this rule to mean everything you see in here is legitimate. Take precautions. This rule may be enforced retroactively.

Altay

Post by Altay »

Personally, I feel scamming through the forums is a very douchey thing to do. as well as scamming on IRC. I've personally never done it, but then again I haven't 'scammed' either, but in terms of 'Era Accuracy' I don't think it should be punished.

I remember people used to set up scams all the time on UO Stratics boards, so banning people for finding marks on forums shouldn't be an offense either.

I don't have any sympathy for scammers. Please do list them publicly on the boards and warn others about them, but I don't think banning them for scamming through forums is the right course of action, especially if you want 'era accuracy'.

What WOULD be era accurate though, would be BANNING them from the FORUMS, as it could be a FORUM POLICY not to scam users, but banning their accounts IN GAME over using the forums to scam isn't era accurate by any means.
Shameless self promotion below:
MMOHut - Free MMORPG / MMO Game Reviews!

noxmonk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by noxmonk »

Altay wrote:Personally, I feel scamming through the forums is a very douchey thing to do. as well as scamming on IRC. I've personally never done it, but then again I haven't 'scammed' either, but in terms of 'Era Accuracy' I don't think it should be punished.

I remember people used to set up scams all the time on UO Stratics boards, so banning people for finding marks on forums shouldn't be an offense either.

I don't have any sympathy for scammers. Please do list them publicly on the boards and warn others about them, but I don't think banning them for scamming through forums is the right course of action, especially if you want 'era accuracy'.

What WOULD be era accurate though, would be BANNING them from the FORUMS, as it could be a FORUM POLICY not to scam users, but banning their accounts IN GAME over using the forums to scam isn't era accurate by any means.

UO did not have a company owned and operated board. The only companies that have had company owned and operated boards have banned for scamming on them. Having UOSecondage.com phpbb isn't era accurate, however accuracy like has been stated so many times, only applies to actual game mechanics. This is accurate to other companies that do business in MMO's and it has become a defacto standard.

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

Wow, nice.

I have not been scammed in this way, however I have experienced what appeared to be attempts at doing so. This is a good safeguard, though, especially for ensuring the legitimacy of events and such.