Gaining the taming skill in the T2A era...

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Trojan Man

Gaining the taming skill in the T2A era...

Post by Trojan Man »

Hello.
I have created a tamer, and I have noticed that something isn't correct with gaining the taming skill. When I played OSI back in the day, I remember that when you tried taming something, you gained taming skill not only at the end of trying to tame an animal, but also during the taming process. You could gain while the character was saying "Here creature." "Nice Creature." "I've always wanted a pet like you." Those are just examples, you would gain when the character would talk to the animal. I wasen't going to say anything, but I have noticed that the administrators would like to have this shard as close and accurate to the T2A era as possible, and this is an issue that I believe you would like to address. Taming is already hard to gain as it is, and if you take away one of the ways for you to gain that skill, it makes it even harder, almost impossible.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I do hope that this will help to make the accuracy of this shard even better. You guys have done a wonderful job with keeping true to that era, keep up the great work!

P.S. - I am currently unemployed, but once I have a job and get on my feet, I will be making a donation because this is THE best shard in my opinion, and hope that it will continue to be here for a long long time!

Arkon
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Gaining the taming skill in the T2A era...

Post by Arkon »

I do believe this is true. I did not have a tamer during T2A but I seem to recall I would gain taming during the process of taming when I would re-tame my horse or packy.

Can't confirm 100% but I remember something like this...
"If you want an image of the future, imagine a bag of milk being poured on a human face--forever."

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

It would seem as though because of the long process of taming , these messages were actually counting hundredths if not thousandths of skillpoints. Best way to test...start with 0 taming and try taming a rat or something. Pull away before the process is complete. If you gained points it probably does work this way....just really really slow.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

This does seem familiar, always playing a tamer on OSI but I think it may be UO:R

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Trojan Man

Post by Trojan Man »

I know it was T2A era, because thats when I started playing UO. Yes, it counted 1/10th of a point gain, like normal gains during the taming action. At lower levels, you could get .3-.4 in one attempt at taming something. Of course, this was at like 10-20 skill.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I've had an idea that this was correct as well, and I think this accounts for the variable time it took to tame an animal, I think a tame attempt was done at each stage, ad if successful at that point you didn't have to go though all the motions. This may also apply to other crafting skills that are of variable length, but less sure on that.

Thanks a ton for this post.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

I assume that if this change goes live, that the skill gain per attempt on things like taming will be increased? otherwise taming would be really easy.
[broken image]

Charles Darwin

Post by Charles Darwin »

@Trojan Man
This is really cool, I also recall Animal Taming gaining this way!
Trojan Man wrote:Taming is already hard to gain as it is, and if you take away one of the ways for you to gain that skill, it makes it even harder, almost impossible.
So do you think taming gains too slow? I was under the impression that taming gains are actually faster on UOSA. Anyone know anything about this?

Derrick wrote:I've had an idea that this was correct as well, and I think this accounts for the variable time it took to tame an animal, I think a tame attempt was done at each stage, ad if successful at that point you didn't have to go though all the motions. This may also apply to other crafting skills that are of variable length, but less sure on that.

Thanks a ton for this post.
So does this mean that one could potentially GM Animal Taming faster then the current gain system?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Because at higher skill levels it's very difficult to gain on failure this should not have much overall effect on gain. The feeling is that taming gains currently are certainly no harder than OSI, likely easier, and our intent is to emulate the same gain rate.

Faust

Post by Faust »

This should easily be able to be tested on the demo...

Trojan Man

Post by Trojan Man »

So do you think taming gains too slow? I was under the impression that taming gains are actually faster on UOSA. Anyone know anything about this?

Yes, they are way to slow. Not that animal taming is fast or anything, but when you gain taming while 'talking' to the animal, it makes it a bit easier, as well as having the era accuracy. Like i said, at 20 skill, you could gain .4 on taming an animal. This of course, slows down at higher skill, but its still possible to gain .2 skill at higher levels, on one attempt of taming.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Taming can be macroed in a week or two...

Definitely not "hard" if you ask me.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

In the research that has been done with respect to Taming there has been no evidence found that suggests that each time that you spoke to the animal you would receive an attempted skill gain. In fact, based off of the known information, the chance to speak to the animal was random throughout the attempt, and the only time that a skill check was done was at the end of the taming attempt.

I'm not saying that it wasn't changed, but unfortunately there isn't any direct evidence to this effect from any reliable source. For the moment, I'd have to say that without the introduction of some new evidence, that I pin the way that skill gain is handled in our system as accurate.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

As opposed to 90% of the other skills, that can be macro'd in hours/days?...
?

Naljier

Post by Naljier »

taming is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY easier here than on OSI during t2a

back then IF you knew wha you were doing you could get maybe .1 an hour

here you can get .6 or more an hour

im not saying that the mechanics are wrong (the spawns certainly are though), as perhaps the difference is because of the sheer amount of people polling the skill on the OSI servers was in the thousands probably, as here its only a few dozen

it took me 4-5 months to GM taming back then and i did it ALOT and knew what i was doing
here you can GM it in a couple weeks