Gaining the taming skill in the T2A era...

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Gaining the taming skill in the T2A era...

Post by Mikel123 »

There indeed were multiple chances to gain during a tame. I am fairly sure you could gain multiple tenths during a single tame, and am absolutely positive you could gain multiple tenths of animal lore. In fact, starting with 50 taming and 0 lore, you'd often gain .9 Animal Lore on the first taming attempt you made (in three units of .3 throughout the tame).

I also think taming on this shard is much slower than OSI, in terms of the timer. I've read in the forums that it's a variable timer, but it seems fixed at around 18 seconds for me.

I'll also say, skill gain at 55 or so is substantially slower than OSI. I can't comment on higher levels because I haven't gotten there yet. But I played from September 1999 through around April 2000, and taming in the 50's was definitely quicker on Chesapeake than it seems to be here so far (or, I could just be unlucky so far, we're not talking a huge sample size here).

Faust

Post by Faust »

Time doesn't process in tenths in Ultima Online code.

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

QUESTION: What happens if a char tames a creature you are provoking in a guardzone? I am thinking "WHACK"...am I right?

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Aye. This happens quite often at the stables, or at least it used to. I haven't had a page about this for a while.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

ArchaicSubrosa wrote:QUESTION: What happens if a char tames a creature you are provoking in a guardzone? I am thinking "WHACK"...am I right?
You provoke at such a fast rate that someone cant tame your animal quick enough.

I did go around some once and use Wall of stone (cast outside of town) to block the bards LOS then tame it, but it took several attempts, and yes someone got whacked

Trojan Man

Post by Trojan Man »

Kaivan wrote:In the research that has been done with respect to Taming there has been no evidence found that suggests that each time that you spoke to the animal you would receive an attempted skill gain. In fact, based off of the known information, the chance to speak to the animal was random throughout the attempt, and the only time that a skill check was done was at the end of the taming attempt.

I'm not saying that it wasn't changed, but unfortunately there isn't any direct evidence to this effect from any reliable source. For the moment, I'd have to say that without the introduction of some new evidence, that I pin the way that skill gain is handled in our system as accurate.

I hate to disagree with a member of the staff, but I will have to, on this one. You did, indeed, have multiple gaining attempts on one pass at taming. I know this for a fact. There may not be any evidence of this, but OSI T2A was so long ago, that there will not be any evidence. And as you can see, MANY people have come forward, including Derek, that remembers this being true. I mean, even if this fix doesn't go live, I will still play this wonderful shard. I was just concerned about the era accuracy, which was the reasoning for my post. Short of going back in time and playing T2A on OSI, I doubt you will ever find the 'evidence' that you are looking for.

As for the response that you can macro taming in 2 weeks, I highly disagree. This would mean that 1) there would have to be plenty of the right level animals to tame in the area you macro in, and 2) If you NEVER got pked during that time, which is not possible. Frankly, I don't see how you can macro taming anyway, since you have to run long distances, through many monster spawns/pk areas. You'd be dead in 30 minutes or less if your not right there paying attention to what's going on.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

I don't know if this should be a new post or if I should just add to this one, but I was curious about what Kaivan said at the bottom of this link: http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 3&start=15

It sounds like Pre-Jan-24-2000, multiple high-end pets could be controlled without any further penalty, and pre-tames required 0 skill. And post-Jan-24-2000, pre-tames had the 6.0 skill requirement increase, and there was a penalty for controlling too many high-end pets.

From what I gather, it sounds like this shard uses the post-Jan-24-2000 high-end pet penalty, and the pre-Jan-24-2000 0.0 difficulty of taming pre-tamed animals.

Is there any particular reason for picking the worse (for tamers) of the rules from two different time periods and combining them for this shard? Or am I mistaken about some of the mechanics of this shard? I'm pretty new and only at around 50.7 taming, so I'm far from actually having to deal with high-end pets, but already I've gotten the "that was not even a challenge" from an animal I know I didn't tame myself before.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Pet control has no bearing on the number of followers you have, we've explicitly aimed for Pre-Jan, 24 2000.

These are features that we did have in at one time, but they were removed all at once in a patch a few months ago.
Mikel123 wrote:It sounds like Pre-Jan-24-2000, multiple high-end pets could be controlled without any further penalty, and pre-tames required 0 skill. And post-Jan-24-2000, pre-tames had the 6.0 skill requirement increase, and there was a penalty for controlling too many high-end pets.

From what I gather, it sounds like this shard uses the post-Jan-24-2000 high-end pet penalty, and the pre-Jan-24-2000 0.0 difficulty of taming pre-tamed animals.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Trojan Man wrote:Short of going back in time and playing T2A on OSI, I doubt you will ever find the 'evidence' that you are looking for.
What few things I wouldn't do to be able to do this.

I think it's very likely that if this mechanic existed, it wouldn't have been removed as early as any time in 1999, I haven't had a chance to look myself at the demo scripts on this issue.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

OK cool. I just joined a couple days ago, and I'm absorbing everything I can but there's so many posts so it's hard to know what the final decisions/implementations were.

Anyways, what got me to this shard (and will likely keep me here) is the amount of passion everyone seems to have for researching the way things were. So thanks for putting all this effort into it, I think it's definitely the way to go.

ArchaicSubrosa

Post by ArchaicSubrosa »

MatronDeWinter wrote:
ArchaicSubrosa wrote:QUESTION: What happens if a char tames a creature you are provoking in a guardzone? I am thinking "WHACK"...am I right?
You provoke at such a fast rate that someone cant tame your animal quick enough.

I did go around some once and use Wall of stone (cast outside of town) to block the bards LOS then tame it, but it took several attempts, and yes someone got whacked
If the pen is large enough you can provoke the creature away from the other bard cast invisible on yourself and have the tamer come in and tame them then lead them to the provoker.