All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules


Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Explosion Pots
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:39 pm 
Offline
User Rep: Unsung
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:38 am
Posts: 416
Location: Orcish Killing Fields
I've been looking for a while. But, I will be the first to admit I suck at researching though I don't plan to stop. I remember one of the big selling points of AoS or such was that Explosion Pots would follow people. But, Prior to that it was that Pots if targeted on a mobile would go the the square that was targeted and not follow the mobile. However, currently for lack of info it works the former and not the latter.

So, I'm hoping people who are good at researching will assist me in gathering info. If not no biggie as I'm positive and will keep trying till I find otherwise. thanks in advance.

_________________
Tforc YM wrote:
if you are over 24 though do not apply because i dont like nerdy people who dont get there lifes past uo. also if you do not have a microphone or vent then i can not make you into a good player, sorry , dont apply.


Top
 
These Support SecondAge
Links open a new window.
UOSA Donors & Subscribers do not receive these ads.

 Post subject: Re: Explosion Pots
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
User Rep: Unsung
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:54 am
Posts: 66
Heat seeking explosion pots are GAY.

_________________
Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Explosion Pots
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:47 pm 
Offline
User Rep: Unsung
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:38 am
Posts: 416
Location: Orcish Killing Fields
Slaygrim wrote:
Heat seeking explosion pots are GAY.


I agree.

And as I said I remember that being a selling point for AoS or even after with the downfall of needing GM alchemy on your template

_________________
Tforc YM wrote:
if you are over 24 though do not apply because i dont like nerdy people who dont get there lifes past uo. also if you do not have a microphone or vent then i can not make you into a good player, sorry , dont apply.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Explosion Pots
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:52 pm 
Offline
wobble llama
wobble llama
User avatar
User Rep: Unsung
 Profile

Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:32 am
Posts: 512
Location: Ultima Universe
Quote:
But, Prior to that it was that Pots if targeted on a mobile would go the the square that was targeted and not follow the mobile. However, currently for lack of info it works the former and not the latter.

If what you say is true then the behaviour should be in the demo. You could try it out and make a nice video of it.

_________________
+ORC: If you give a man a crack he'll be hungry again tomorrow, but if you teach him how to crack, he'll never be hungry again.
chumbucket: I don't collect pixels.

Never trust the client. It's in the hands of the enemy : UO Demo internals @ JoinUO


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Explosion Pots
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:22 pm 
Offline
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
User avatar
User Rep: Good
Good
 Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:35 am
Posts: 7245
Location: 你的錢包
They do not follow people here. There is no such thing as (nor was there ever) a heat seaking explosion pot. You can completely ignore the animation, explosion potions work like this..

You use a potion, and the timer starts ticking
As soon as you click to target it is instantly moved to that location.
(if you target a person, it uses the tile they are on when you targeted)
The "Heat seeking" animation plays (but has no effect on the outcome)
When the timer expires, it explodes.

What people are doing is timing it so that they target right before it blows up. So when your running, it's not "heat seeking" to you, its falling at your feet and exploding before you get out of it's range. This is entirely accurate, there is nothing wrong with this mechanic. UOA and Razor just made this process much easier.

This is one of those crazy myths like "being able to outrun an energy bolt".

_________________
Image
[cA] tales of adventure


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Explosion Pots
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:26 pm 
Offline
User Rep: Unsung
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:38 am
Posts: 416
Location: Orcish Killing Fields
MatronDeWinter wrote:
They do not follow people here. There is no such thing as (nor was there ever) a heat seaking explosion pot. You can completely ignore the animation, explosion potions work like this..

You use a potion, and the timer starts ticking
As soon as you click to target it is instantly moved to that location.
(if you target a person, it uses the tile they are on when you targeted)
The "Heat seeking" animation plays (but has no effect on the outcome)
When the timer expires, it explodes.

What people are doing is timing it so that they target right before it blows up. So when your running, it's not "heat seeking" to you, its falling at your feet and exploding before you get out of it's range. This is entirely accurate, there is nothing wrong with this mechanic. UOA and Razor just made this process much easier.

This is one of those crazy myths like "being able to outrun an energy bolt".



Then I guess my question is more of explo pots taking into account travel time. I know back on OSI the only people who used explo pots prior to AoS was those who played the Asian shard they did it heavy, and even then it seemed more of trying to catch someone casting then it instantly arriving.

I seemed to remember it vaguely on american shards and as I remember people who did use it. It fallen to where I was instead of instantly being put on me. I'm not speaking of animation. I understand how the animation works I'm speaking of mechanics.

_________________
Tforc YM wrote:
if you are over 24 though do not apply because i dont like nerdy people who dont get there lifes past uo. also if you do not have a microphone or vent then i can not make you into a good player, sorry , dont apply.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Explosion Pots
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:40 pm 
Offline
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
User avatar
User Rep: Good
Good
 Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:35 am
Posts: 7245
Location: 你的錢包
Back then, alot of people didn't know how usfull they could be. I think the asian shards clearly surpassed the rest in player-skill and resourcefullness(sp)

_________________
Image
[cA] tales of adventure


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Explosion Pots
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:42 pm 
Offline
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!
User avatar
User Rep: Fair
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:15 am
Posts: 4368
They actually do heat seek in a sense, you can throw it at 2.5~ and it will explode on them at 3.

Ever notice how the pot doesn't actually drop to the location of the target?

EDIT: This would be pretty hard trying to do this in the demo while running on one client since there is no last target. If anyone is up for trying this out I'll help.

_________________
Image

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Explosion Pots
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:57 pm 
Offline
User Rep: Unsung
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:38 am
Posts: 416
Location: Orcish Killing Fields
Hemperor wrote:
They actually do heat seek in a sense, you can throw it at 2.5~ and it will explode on them at 3.

Ever notice how the pot doesn't actually drop to the location of the target?

EDIT: This would be pretty hard trying to do this in the demo while running on one client since there is no last target. If anyone is up for trying this out I'll help.


I remember them dropping at the location even when well timed. Cause Half the time if the person was moving by the time that came around they were out of range. the 2.5 that is, I guess my issue is I vividly remember AoS being advertised with the feature of gm alchy meant you could have a 'heat seeking' pot. Where as before that they were never an issue because staying on the move negated that.

_________________
Tforc YM wrote:
if you are over 24 though do not apply because i dont like nerdy people who dont get there lifes past uo. also if you do not have a microphone or vent then i can not make you into a good player, sorry , dont apply.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Explosion Pots
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:07 pm 
Offline
User Rep: Good
Good
 Profile

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:32 pm
Posts: 3096
Location: Uganda
Well if it was AoS then why did having gm alchemy increase explo pot damage prior to that?

_________________
Image


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Explosion Pots
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:09 pm 
Offline
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
User Rep: Fair
 Profile

Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 12:11 pm
Posts: 309
Xukluk Tuguznal wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:
They do not follow people here. There is no such thing as (nor was there ever) a heat seaking explosion pot. You can completely ignore the animation, explosion potions work like this..

You use a potion, and the timer starts ticking
As soon as you click to target it is instantly moved to that location.
(if you target a person, it uses the tile they are on when you targeted)
The "Heat seeking" animation plays (but has no effect on the outcome)
When the timer expires, it explodes.

What people are doing is timing it so that they target right before it blows up. So when your running, it's not "heat seeking" to you, its falling at your feet and exploding before you get out of it's range. This is entirely accurate, there is nothing wrong with this mechanic. UOA and Razor just made this process much easier.

This is one of those crazy myths like "being able to outrun an energy bolt".



Then I guess my question is more of explo pots taking into account travel time. I know back on OSI the only people who used explo pots prior to AoS was those who played the Asian shard they did it heavy, and even then it seemed more of trying to catch someone casting then it instantly arriving.

I seemed to remember it vaguely on american shards and as I remember people who did use it. It fallen to where I was instead of instantly being put on me. I'm not speaking of animation. I understand how the animation works I'm speaking of mechanics.


on catskills we used pots alot in pre t2a..and then it made a come back in uor. it was popular with faction pvps.

matron is correct it drops to your feet and has a blast radias. nothing is wrong.

i quit with aos so i dunno how it was changed.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Explosion Pots
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:19 pm 
Offline
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
User avatar
User Rep: Good
Good
 Profile

Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:35 am
Posts: 7245
Location: 你的錢包
Hemperor:
The only reason your not seeing it "Land" at their feet, is because the animation is still playing. The potion is there, just not visible, it was done this way so the animation looks reasonable. They may not have intended it to be a timed projectile, but thats how it works, era-accurate.

_________________
Image
[cA] tales of adventure


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Explosion Pots
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:34 pm 
Offline
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!
User avatar
User Rep: Fair
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:15 am
Posts: 4368
MatronDeWinter wrote:
Hemperor:
The only reason your not seeing it "Land" at their feet, is because the animation is still playing. The potion is there, just not visible, it was done this way so the animation looks reasonable. They may not have intended it to be a timed projectile, but thats how it works, era-accurate.


Good explanation. I still think it's worth while looking into the demo for specific times etc.. I know the timer was tweaked not too long ago but I'm not sure if it was really based on anything.

_________________
Image

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Explosion Pots
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:56 pm 
Offline
User Rep: Unsung
 WWW  ICQ  Profile

Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:38 am
Posts: 416
Location: Orcish Killing Fields
As I said. I'm just looking in to info. Thing is even if it lands at your feet instantly. How does that apply toward a person on the move? If it is indeed era accurate no biggie. I don't have a copy of the demo to check. I'd just like to know.

_________________
Tforc YM wrote:
if you are over 24 though do not apply because i dont like nerdy people who dont get there lifes past uo. also if you do not have a microphone or vent then i can not make you into a good player, sorry , dont apply.


Top
 

 Post subject: Re: Explosion Pots
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:14 pm 
Offline
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
User avatar
User Rep: Unsung
 Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:45 pm
Posts: 629
I would love to see this puppy laid to rest.


Top
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Support Second Age: These links Open in a New Window

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Extended by Karma MOD © 2007—2012 m157y