Getting rid of runebooks

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Getting rid of runebooks

Post by Mirage »

BlackFoot wrote:most grandfathered items odd hued/turned other directiosn dont affect game play, runebooks have a very real effect. Imagine if glacial staves still were allowed to work. That is a pretty serious advantage.
If runebooks are proved to be inaccurate remove their ability to be used or store runes. Make em pixel paperweights and nothing more. Eventually they will all disappear like everything else that gets grandfathered out.
If they are sitting on a shelf in a guys house as decoration that doesnt affect game play in anyway.

Imagine how much lag these rune only libraries are going to cause without runebooks? Think about how many runebooks there are in game......now multiply that by 10-16 and thats how many extra items we will have in game. We just did a CUB to cut down on ingame items, let's not make a mockery of it and purposely create more items in game.

Aside from it being completely ridiculous to remove runebooks, the talk of them not being grandfathered is just ludacris. Every item has been grandfathered in that we have patched except for glacial staves. If glacial staves weren't an advantage pvp wise and we're just for show them I'm sure they would have beeb grandfathered in.

Blackfoot it's a little hypocritical of you to be against grandfathered items when you just had a auction with magic jewelry that had GRANDFATHERED charges to them. The auction at shadowmire had TONS of jewelry with insane amount of charges that were grandfathered. The principle is the same. Those people who owned those items earned them and have the right to use them until they lose them, the same should be with runebooks. Had these items been acquired through a bug, then this discussion may have the right to be debatable, but they were not. As previously stated a lot of people put a LOT of work into their rune libraries and reserve the right to use them.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

i think they should be grandfathered. i understand where blackfoot is comeing from tho, it does affect gameplay. also i have no probs with kegs being removed, simply because during t2a era, i rarely remember people running around with 30+ pots of all kinds on them.

the only real problem i see with grandfathering runebooks and/or kegs, is that people will still be able to use them, where all the people who are just starting off wont be able to get ahold of them for thier personal benefits. maybe make it so you can no longer put runes into them and not be able to create them, and keep the existing ones usable? i dunno.

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

kill drizitz wrote:i think they should be grandfathered. i understand where blackfoot is comeing from tho, it does affect gameplay. also i have no probs with kegs being removed, simply because during t2a era, i rarely remember people running around with 30+ pots of all kinds on them.

the only real problem i see with grandfathering runebooks and/or kegs, is that people will still be able to use them, where all the people who are just starting off wont be able to get ahold of them for thier personal benefits. maybe make it so you can no longer put runes into them and not be able to create them, and keep the existing ones usable? i dunno.
I hate to say it but that's the benefit from being a veteran player on this shard. I've benefited from it and so have many others..... that's how it was on OSI also, that is MMOs in general. Times have changed since we played on OSI, power gaming, better 3rd party programs, the improvement of 3rd party programs, and just better knowledge of the game in general from being out for over 10 years.

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

yea i agree. i was gonna put something about power gaming and all that. i mean it will be a hard patch to remedy if they are going to be phased out, simply because there are hundreds, if not thousands of each of these items in the game right now. and yea, if they are removed, the amount of items will increase tenfold AT LEAST, simply because of runebooks and kegs. i mean i have about 50 empty kegs alone...

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

kill drizitz wrote:yea i agree. i was gonna put something about power gaming and all that. i mean it will be a hard patch to remedy if they are going to be phased out, simply because there are hundreds, if not thousands of each of these items in the game right now. and yea, if they are removed, the amount of items will increase tenfold AT LEAST, simply because of runebooks and kegs. i mean i have about 50 empty kegs alone...
Yeah I know it would be pretty counterproductive as far as item count, and the funny thing is that people are already crying for another CUB. There are definately thousands of runebooks I've got about 150 myself.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

There are only two ways to remove runebooks:

Grandfather existing ones, disallowing any new players to have the same advantage and being extremely confusing.
Delete the thousands of existing runebooks each representing hours of work, pissing off an entire shard.

Both create major problem. Runebooks are within era, sure if Derrick restarted the shard tomorrow it may be a better idea not to have them because they are slightly late in the era, however it's not worth creating such a huge problem over something that IS accurate.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

Hemperor wrote:There are only two ways to remove runebooks:

Grandfather existing ones, disallowing any new players to have the same advantage and being extremely confusing.
Delete the thousands of existing runebooks each representing hours of work, pissing off an entire shard.

Both create major problem. Runebooks are within era, sure if Derrick restarted the shard tomorrow it may be a better idea not to have them because they are slightly late in the era, however it's not worth creating such a huge problem over something that IS accurate.
And that pretty much sums it up. Let's leave it at this,shall we?

Chaos
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Chaos »

In this one case on era acc. I would have to agree for now .. there is no way that the shard we hope to have can be supported on one server without things like runebooks .. this looks like one of osi's first "real" clean up idea of items yeah yeah CUB but really .. what didn't you npc on osi (didn't play but have heard of how tight money was in t2a)

OSI was able to do this at first because of the muti servers and server lines and all that .. all of which to my understanding isn't even supported by our software yet nor do we have that kind of hardware or number of high speed connnections to do such a thing ...

my point even they with all that power had problem with items .. looks like they looked at it and said .. we could get ride of i'd say 30 to 50 % of bank items (and i'd guess 15%?? of world items) if they created BOOKS ..

they do fall all play aspects .. they are lootable stealable .. **and i think you can even recall off anothers rune book their pack without any pen. other then snooping .. lol (thats the human aspect of game .. thinking ) gota love you

**not tested but pretty sure seeing i think i did it.. but was drunk havn't tried agian . .lol

[21:27] <@Derrick> UOSA is a tribute to the feasibility of anarchy