House add-ons and co-owners

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

House add-ons and co-owners

Post by Hoots »

First question, i dont see anything in the patch notes after the below in regards to placing add-ons. Currently you must be a owner or co-owner to place (i believe).

Housing Update Phase 3 Dec 21 1998 1:48PM

Crafting the item will generate a deed.
Double-clicking the deed will give you a ghosted image of the item to place.
These items may only be placed in a house.
You must be a friend of the house to place them

did the ghosted image and must be co-owner or owner change after 12-98?

Second, as the nov-99 patch is debated alot. What is the stance on co-owners? Is all this in?

8 Co-owners?, coowners cant own another house, Strong boxes?

Co-owners Nov 23 1999 2:50PM CST

All of the features for co-owners are currently available for testing on the Test Center Shard.

Co-ownership will allow you to select trusted friends and allies to control some of the important functions of a house. This will allow more flexibility for house owners and provide a method for additional storage for those players who share houses.

Selecting Co-owners

Other characters on the same account as the house owner will be treated as co-owners unless:
They are already an owner or co-owner of another house.
You may select up to eight characters to be co-owners:
A co-owner may not be the owner of a house.
A co-owner may not be a co-owner of another house.
To select a co-owner:
Double click on your house sign.
Click the "friends" option.
Select "add a co-owner". A targeting cursor will appear.
Target and click on the character you wish to make a co-owner.
Removing a co-owner
Double click on your house sign.
Click the "friends" option.
Select "remove a co-owner".
A list of co-owners will appear, check the box next to the co-owner you wish to remove.
Co-owner Features

Co-owners will be able to do everything that an owner can, except:
Transfer ownership of the house.
Re-deed a house.
Add another co-owner.
Change the house locks.
Co-owners can also place one secure container, called a "strongbox".
To place a strongbox the co-owner must say, "I wish to place a strongbox". The strongbox will appear at your feet.
The strongbox can only be accessed by the co-owner who placed it and the owner of the house.
A strongbox can hold up to 25 items and has no weight restrictions. Note that the strongbox is a secure container, but items in the box do not count against the total number of lockdowns for that house. These strongboxes are additional storage.
A strongbox belonging to a co-owner that is removed will become unsecure (and subject to decay) as soon as it is accessed again.
Other characters on the same account that are being treated as co-owners will NOT be able to place a strongbox.

Thoughts? Info?

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: House add-ons and co-owners

Post by MatronDeWinter »

There was(is?) a huge discussion on this. Phase 3 housing was generally regarded as atypical to the T2A experience, more of a gateway into UO:R. There was a post (kraarug made I believe) about utilizing the phase prior to (3), which is virtually the same (lockdown whatever you want, things in boxes get locked down, et al.) but allowed the no-decay status on any item inside. This was never mentioned again as it was considered transitional in nature.

I think that the removal of house looting (disguise it as "for decoration purposes" all you want, let's face it, this patch is UO:R style-safe housing) goes against the spirit of t2a, and personally am thankfull that none of this was ever implimented.

There is a giant thread (or 4) on here somewhere, fairly recent if I remember correctly, though I'm too lazy to link you for reference.

I do like the house-decorator tool that (i think) comes along with this patch, but In my mind, if you go this far on a "t2a" accurate server, you mine as well take the leap and register the domain name as UOThirdage.com.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

But we do have co-owners now... They just arnt bound by the above rules (somewhat?)

Im not crying for additions or nerfs, just curious as what the stance and thoughts of the devs is on co-owners.

FYI im 100% fine with the selective patching of 11-23. The devs have the best interest of the shard behind them and who are we to call for all or nothing on a patch note.

If friends could add house add-ons, that would be nice to add.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

I remember that long housing discussion and from what I recall the decision was made to keep the housing system as-is, something of a cross between Phase I and II of CUB.

I honestly think that instead of adding other cool features such as allowing co-owners to place add-ons, if there are any changes made to UOSA housing, you'd see some far reaching changes towards strict era accuracy.

In short, I wouldn't advocate for change to our system. Although it is not entirely accurate, it works for this shard and more importantly, has been 'vetted' through pages and pages of player and staff discussion.

Silverfoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Silverfoot »

Oh no, another housing discussion! hehe

Here is a link to our previous discussion for reference: http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 8&start=15

They also mention that ghosted image on the old Stratics house add-on page too.
Stratics wrote: To place the item, you need to use the deed inside the house and be the owner of the house. Using the deed will give you a ghosted image of the item to place (just like when you place a house). The item will be created on the tile that you click on, not where the ghosted image seems to be. To be sure the add-on gets placed correctly you can try blocking off all surrounding tiles with chests and leave a space open where the add-on has to be placed. Or put the deed on the floor on the spot where you want the add-on to be, double-click the deed and then target it.

http://web.archive.org/web/199910222311 ... craftables

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

Silverfoot wrote:Oh no, another housing discussion! hehe

Here is a link to our previous discussion for reference: http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... 8&start=15

They also mention that ghosted image on the old Stratics house add-on page too.
Stratics wrote: To place the item, you need to use the deed inside the house and be the owner of the house. Using the deed will give you a ghosted image of the item to place (just like when you place a house). The item will be created on the tile that you click on, not where the ghosted image seems to be. To be sure the add-on gets placed correctly you can try blocking off all surrounding tiles with chests and leave a space open where the add-on has to be placed. Or put the deed on the floor on the spot where you want the add-on to be, double-click the deed and then target it.

It sounds like the item wouldn't always place where the ghosted image was. I vote that if we do implement the ghosted image, that this glitch not be in place in order to allow accurate placement of addons.
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Pristiq wrote: It sounds like the item wouldn't always place where the ghosted image was. I vote that if we do implement the ghosted image, that this glitch not be in place in order to allow accurate placement of addons.
This glitch is essentially a client glitch, and is the same reason house previews are a little off too.
I see a few things there that need to be done, like deeds currently have to be in your pack to use them. I'm going to try to fix all of these issues.

Any changes to co-owners and houses will likely be the removal of them. Currently We are 100% accurate to pre-Nov '99 housing rules, except for cowners not having exisited prior to late Nov '99
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

platypus

Post by platypus »

So, if co-owners are removed, will friends of the house be able to chop/place trash barrels? Because currently only co-owners can do this and I always liked that aspect of the housing system here.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

platypus wrote:So, if co-owners are removed, will friends of the house be able to chop/place trash barrels? Because currently only co-owners can do this and I always liked that aspect of the housing system here.
I think what Derrick is saying is that there will be no changes to the housing system and, if there were to be any, that Co-Owners would be removed with all the resulting ramifications resulting.

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

I recently tried placing a forge in a house I am co-owner and I was not able to do it. It said only the owner can do this.