Pets:

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Faust

Pets:

Post by Faust »

Publish 16 - Changes to the Taming Profession Jul 23 2002 3:49PM CST - http://update.uo.com/design_408.html wrote: - Pets will learn skills at an accelerated rate compared to players, although they will not use GGS [Guaranteed Gain System].
- All creatures, including pets, will have a faster Mana regeneration rate if they have the Meditation skill. Just like players, they will be able to gain Meditation skill when they regain Mana.
- All pets will be able to learn Anatomy, Resist Spells, Tactics, and Wrestling.
- Spellcasting pets will be able to gain in Magery and Evaluate Intelligence through casting spells in combat.
I just figured that I should point some of this out for pets in PUB16...

First, if pets gain at an accelerated rate beyond players that should be corrected here. This patch also concludes my NPC revamp based on the demo code that shows that it persisted through until this patch where creatures had no meditation and anatomy. I know some NPC's here have both of these skills by default, which is entirely inaccurate and should be fixed when my NPC revamp finally gets merged. The third part about pets "learning" I am confused about somewhat based on the wording. I think that it means "training" or "learning" the skills through an NPC but who really knows... Also, pets was able to gain magery through combat before, so I don't know why that is stated too. Possibly just to follow up with the way it worked previously including the new change where Eval could also gain in that nature. I figured this would be a good topic to discuss since a few of these have been mentioned in the past.

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Pets:

Post by tekai »

Are you really looking to nerf tamers again??

Ok so thru this research you believe that the basic runuo code is currently making pets level and gain skills faster then they are supposed to?

as well as creatures are regening mana too quickly?

Your paragraph doesnt really say whats wrong very well.
[broken image]

Faust

Post by Faust »

When did I ever "nerf" tamers? This server is about accuracy not "nerfing", sorry.

I "know" that the basic RunUO code accelerates skill gain. However, I "don't know" if Derrick has fixed this in the current UOSA files and if I am not mistaken I remember him telling me that there was an accelerated rate for pet skill gain. This would be incorrect and inaccurate if this holds true.

Also, I "know" that the default RunUO code issues the meditation and anatomy skill to many creatures too. This isn't the case in the demo code for obvious reasons since meditation didn't exist and anatomy didn't benefit combat. However, this has been mentioned MANY times in the past here based on old dispel tactics. For example, it was commonly known that if you wasted a mobs mana like a Blood Elemental or Balron that it would never dispel since it would waste any of its gained mana in a heart beat. This isn't the case when mobs have meditation, because when you're waiting for mana regen the mob is passively gaining it too when it shouldn't since mobs didn't acquire the skill back then. The same holds true for anatomy as well for combat bonuses, etc... This is a huge issue outside of many of the already known inaccuracies for creatures. These problems are associated with with ALL creatures not just pets...

tekai
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by tekai »

I didnt mean you specifically did in the past, i meant in general.

And whyle I obviously can't comment, I am 100% agasint any dumbing-down of monsters until there are a million monsters everywhere like there should be.
[broken image]

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I think what was implied was that pets should be gaining skill more quickly which is contrary to nerfing.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Faust wrote:
Publish 16 - Changes to the Taming Profession Jul 23 2002 3:49PM CST - http://update.uo.com/design_408.html wrote: - Pets will learn skills at an accelerated rate compared to players, although they will not use GGS [Guaranteed Gain System].
- All creatures, including pets, will have a faster Mana regeneration rate if they have the Meditation skill. Just like players, they will be able to gain Meditation skill when they regain Mana.
- All pets will be able to learn Anatomy, Resist Spells, Tactics, and Wrestling.
- Spellcasting pets will be able to gain in Magery and Evaluate Intelligence through casting spells in combat.

First, if pets gain at an accelerated rate beyond players that should be corrected here. This patch also concludes my NPC revamp based on the demo code that shows that it persisted through until this patch where creatures had no meditation and anatomy. I know some NPC's here have both of these skills by default, which is entirely inaccurate and should be fixed when my NPC revamp finally gets merged. The third part about pets "learning" I am confused about somewhat based on the wording. I think that it means "training" or "learning" the skills through an NPC but who really knows... Also, pets was able to gain magery through combat before, so I don't know why that is stated too. Possibly just to follow up with the way it worked previously including the new change where Eval could also gain in that nature. I figured this would be a good topic to discuss since a few of these have been mentioned in the past.
I'm left more confused from reading the quote. We KNOW pets gained Magery in T2A, right? Because of getting Dragons into Wind. And I'm pretty sure that they gained Tactics and Wrestling as well. And we know they did not gain Eval and Anatomy at this point in T2A, since players didn't either.

I guess it depends on where you put the stress in the sentences. I.E.

- ALL pets will be able to learn Anatomy, Resist Spells, Tactics, and Wrestling. (i.e. maybe rabbits and some animals couldn't?)
- All pets will be able to learn ANATOMY, RESIST SPELLS, TACTICS, and WRESTLING. (i.e. maybe no pets could before this patch?!)

I'd guess it's either the former, or they were just reiterating things that were already known. This is largely based on that fourth line in there.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Oh snap...I didnt check the date!
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Mikel, I don't believe they meant that pets would start gaining magery but instead referred to gaining eval the way players would gain it through magery. We very well know pets gained magery prior to this patch.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Pets gain in the same manner as players, on each skillcheck. Since a pet never uses the anat skill directly, he won't gain in it.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

valheru

Post by valheru »

Faust wrote:

Are you either:

1) mentally retarded

or

2) drunk

It's ok, I play drunk, a lot. But when you suggest something, learn to present it in a somewhat academic manner. You need to present an introduction, produce a body which is formatted in a READABLE manner (aka, paragraphs), and have a conclusion, which sums up your presentation.

I've read this post twice and cannot pinpoint what you are trying to argue. I'm making the assumption, based off of the patch note date, that you are stating that pets should not gain skills here faster than players, and should not gain meditation skill. Am I correct?

This arguement, IMHO is a waste of time considering:

1) most pets die WAYYYY too often to gain up any skill at all.
2) Derrick told me that he doesn't plan on making any AI changes soon (aka white wyrm fighting fix) due to "lag issues".
3) Derrick's post above already stated that skill gain for pets is not > than players.

Taming is a dead issue on this shard, there are more important issues at hand such as combat mechanics etc. let's keep it at that.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Post edited because i hate when Valheru fails at things.
Last edited by GuardianKnight on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

valheru

Post by valheru »

Robot wrote:Why are there more important issues than fixing problems with tamers but when it comes to the nerf bat it's on the top of the list? btw get rid of that auto equip/unequip while casting spells thing in razor...surely no one uses that.

Can you clarify what you are attempting to state?

I was saying that this "nerf" in particular, would have almost ZERO effect on tamers. Most tamers do not keep their pets alive long enough for them to gain much skill at all. Derrick also stated that they don't gain skill any faster than players do.

I still fail to see what you were attempting to state...?

Faust

Post by Faust »

Please just shut up son... It doesn't matter what the issue is on here. If it's accuracy related it does not matter what priority it has in your opinion. Your opinion in regard to this means absolutely nothing. The default RunUO code uses an "accelerated" rate for skill gain. I know that the default also applies meditation skill to creatures(when it shouldn't as stated above in my post). This was more of a "gather" information and "fix" if incorrect post than a declaration for any change. Some of these problems effect both pets and non-pets immensely for PVP and PVM. Just because you can't follow a "cause & effect" from point A to point B onward doesn't mean it's "not worth making accurate" based on your opinion again.