Bandage Timer Issue

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Bandage Timer Issue

Post by Kraarug »

The bandage timer is the key to Dexer combat tactics. It's the whole reason why Mages try to nerf away cure potions in duels because, as this link points out, OSI knew they made a mistake with T2A bandage timing and eventually moved to dex-based healing.

http://web.archive.org/web/199910120333 ... atics.com/

Now, the way I remember getting around some of these issues was to stay poisoned until the very last seconds of the 15 second bandage timer.

On 1999 OSI, you could be poisoned for 14 of the 15 seconds of a bandage timer. At the 15th second it seems that a poison check was made. If you were not poisoned, you were healed (minus any finger slips). If you were poisoned, you were awarded 3 more seconds of bandage time and another poison check was made to determin if you were going to be cured or healed.

I don't think the bandage timer and poisoning works correctly here but I could be wrong.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Bandage Timer Issue

Post by Kaivan »

Checks for the length of time until the bandage attempt was completed were calculated at the beginning of the heal attempt. To elaborate, if a player started a heal and was then poisoned, the check to see whether that poison was cured was done after 15 seconds. If the player was poisoned and then attempted to heal, the check would be done after 18 seconds. This pattern held throughout T2A, UOR, and is still in operation under the dex-based healing system on live UO servers (just checked a few minutes ago).
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Kaivan wrote:Checks for the length of time until the bandage attempt was completed were calculated at the beginning of the heal attempt. To elaborate, if a player started a heal and was then poisoned, the check to see whether that poison was cured was done after 15 seconds. If the player was poisoned and then attempted to heal, the check would be done after 18 seconds. This pattern held throughout T2A, UOR, and is still in operation under the dex-based healing system on live UO servers (just checked a few minutes ago).
Ok great, because right now, if you are poisoned sometime between the first second and the 15th the system seems to add extra time and that does not appear to be correct.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Kaivan is correct.

The last time that I checked this on the server it was working exactly as described in his post too...

Edit:
I just tested this and it works no differently than it did when I last tested it... Working as intended.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Kaivan wrote:Checks for the length of time until the bandage attempt was completed were calculated at the beginning of the heal attempt. To elaborate, if a player started a heal and was then poisoned, the check to see whether that poison was cured was done after 15 seconds. If the player was poisoned and then attempted to heal, the check would be done after 18 seconds. This pattern held throughout T2A, UOR, and is still in operation under the dex-based healing system on live UO servers (just checked a few minutes ago).
You know, I'm not so sure that this pattern was T2A. I do not think that the system automatically extended your healing time based upon being poisoned before starting a bandage.

I could be mistaken but I thought it was rather simple.

The system?
Poisoned at 15 seconds?
Y Add 3
N apply healing

Is there anything in the demo on this?

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Here's the quote and source I orginally hoped to point to:

Glamdring - *Ibn_Shaun* In the original plan for the healing skill, health would be restored for all successful healing attempts -- an additional check for a cure would only be applied if the patient was also poisoned. No one complained because, at the time, monsters were not poisoning and the poison spell was 100% resistable at even low levels of resistance. This flaw is now exploited to the point that healing has no value in PvP.
Firedog - I agree that healing probably doesn't work in exactly the manner that we intended it to...
Firedog - And that it is being used against healers.
Firedog - So, yes, I'd say that it's something that I will be looking at in the future.
Firedog - Again, the timeline for changes of this nature is unclear.

Biohazard
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Biohazard »

Kraarug wrote:Here's the quote and source I orginally hoped to point to:

Glamdring - *Ibn_Shaun* In the original plan for the healing skill, health would be restored for all successful healing attempts -- an additional check for a cure would only be applied if the patient was also poisoned. No one complained because, at the time, monsters were not poisoning and the poison spell was 100% resistable at even low levels of resistance. This flaw is now exploited to the point that healing has no value in PvP.
Firedog - I agree that healing probably doesn't work in exactly the manner that we intended it to...
Firedog - And that it is being used against healers.
Firedog - So, yes, I'd say that it's something that I will be looking at in the future.
Firedog - Again, the timeline for changes of this nature is unclear.
Ibn Shaun was such a tool. Hiram and I killed him at the serpents cross tavern on Atlantic and looted a full set of FOA (Followers of Armageddon... A major quest) plate off him. It was the greatest accomplishment I have ever done in UO. Quite possibly in any game period.