Tinkering and Wedding Bands?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Stuck
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Tinkering and Wedding Bands?

Post by Stuck »

I noticed there are isn't any way to make a wedding ring. According to the patch notes and stratics, these should be newbied and craftable with 41.8 skill.

From Patch Notes for 03/28/1999: (http://wiki.uosecondage.com/index.php?t ... 03/28/1999)
Tinkering

* New items have been added to tinkering.
o Jewelcrafting. Crafting jewelry requires you to target a gemstone to add to the jewelry.
+ Necklaces
+ Earrings
+ Wedding rings
# These items say "a wedding ring" on them.
+ These items are "newbiefied" and will remain with your corpse when you die.
From Stratics: (http://web.archive.org/web/199911160638 ... m/tink.htm)
Item Name Materials Needed Sell Price Return Skill
Weddingband (newbiefied) 1 ingot + gem 19 variable 41.8

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Tinkering and Wedding Bands?

Post by Duke Jones »

Awesome find! I'd love to see some in-game weddings!
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

i always thought admin ahd to make these for players
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

I used to make custom rings all the time; "Selling 69 diamonded ring, pst"
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Godsend

Post by Godsend »

I thought it wasn't until a while after T2A that rings were craftable. I had a tinkerer and only remember seeing them shortly before I quit. Before that it was a GM rewarded item for an in-game marriage and ceremony.

Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

This is odd, because I specifically remember when jewelcrafting and all this were added in, and I remember it being later than march of 99. Hmm.
I'm a chemistry set that makes only firecrackers and smoke bombs.

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

Nevermore wrote:This is odd, because I specifically remember when jewelcrafting and all this were added in, and I remember it being later than march of 99. Hmm.
I know for sure this happened, too. It was Definately part of Renaissance.
"When you remove human error, accuracy, and speed, you remove the human element."

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Duke Jones wrote:
Nevermore wrote:This is odd, because I specifically remember when jewelcrafting and all this were added in, and I remember it being later than march of 99. Hmm.
I know for sure this happened, too. It was Definately part of Renaissance.
This is incorrect....wedding bands were in T2A as posted here.

This was the ONLY use for jewels (diamonds specifically) before jewelcraft was introduced. This was definitely T2A, I only played T2A and I do remember the "69 diamond wedding ring"

Duke Jones
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Duke Jones »

Well, I meant jewel crafting was Renaissance.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Ah yes, jewelcrafting was renaissance....a wedding band was always craftable with tinkering and provided no stat bonuses.

Jester

Post by Jester »

I remember people running around with 10,000 Diamond rings and stuff like that :>

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

It is highly unlikely that there would be an archived Stratics page from November 1999 about functionality for Tinkering that did not exist until 6 months later. It is relatively likely that player were able to create these throughout T2A.

An earlier discussion on the subject had some talk about the likely manner in which the names themselves were derived and how the creation of these items worked. A player would target a gem, be it stacked or unstacked, and the game would determine the name attached to that stack of gems. Upon determining the name, it would append that name to whatever kind of jewelry you created, and would subtract one from the pile. Thus, players who had, say, 60,000 diamonds would create "a 60000 diamonds necklace", and 1 gem would be subtracted from the pile as part of the creation process. In this respect, we know that the game did indeed have functionality to do this sort of process, so it it highly likely that this is exactly, or at least very similar, to how it would have been handled in game at that time.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Kaivan wrote:It is highly unlikely that there would be an archived Stratics page from November 1999 about functionality for Tinkering that did not exist until 6 months later. It is relatively likely that player were able to create these throughout T2A.

An earlier discussion on the subject had some talk about the likely manner in which the names themselves were derived and how the creation of these items worked. A player would target a gem, be it stacked or unstacked, and the game would determine the name attached to that stack of gems. Upon determining the name, it would append that name to whatever kind of jewelry you created, and would subtract one from the pile. Thus, players who had, say, 60,000 diamonds would create "a 60000 diamonds necklace", and 1 gem would be subtracted from the pile as part of the creation process. In this respect, we know that the game did indeed have functionality to do this sort of process, so it it highly likely that this is exactly, or at least very similar, to how it would have been handled in game at that time.
EXACTLY!

We've gotta get you on Jeopardy or something, you've got a hell of a memory for this stuff.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

We'll get this in, and it'll be as accurate as possible.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

Mikel123 wrote: EXACTLY!

We've gotta get you on Jeopardy or something, you've got a hell of a memory for this stuff.

ohhhh event ideas, i like the sound of UO Jeopardy!!!

I will take T2A Dungions for 10k Derrick
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events