Account Break in

Topics related to Second Age
Francois424
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Account Break in

Post by Francois424 »

Wait wait wait... People hack other people in non-official shards now ?
I mean... really ?

All I can think of is this 3 letter word: WTF
This is so sad, and sorry for those that have been hacked; if it happens to me i'm out of here O_O;

Good to know tho, thanks.
PS: any way to change an account password ? I'm going to take one of my 20 "letters" long ones.

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

Schmitty

Post by Schmitty »

okgoace wrote:
Schmitty wrote:man i love this server but lets get real here. if this is really happening and its all legit and someone really hacked into his account and you guys are like oh that's fair game.. that is total bull especially when you can get banned for lying about a trade on the forums.... totally horrible

i dont understand how its hersey either.. look at the ips match the login ip to another account not linked to the OPs ee how many attempts he was unsuccessful with so that you will know if he was just guessing or if it was something else.... 30 minutes tops thats all it takes... i suppose the moving dead bodies behind walls glitch to get into houses is fair game too then? because that is alot less bogus than giving people free reign to steal accounts
Its simple, dont have an easy password:
easy = 123,abc, abc123
difficult = Off to see the Wizard = 0ff2c7h3w1z412d

If someone guesses your account name, shame on you.
If they guess your password, hats off to them.

This is almost as bad as asking for handouts. You should probably go back to your land of carebears, your kind doesnt belong here. obv.

hahahaha learn to read fool because you have added nothing to this that hasn't been stated and since you quoted me id like to point out no where in my statement did i say anything about easy passwords.. that is NOT what we are talking about here dude

we are talking about actual malicious intent being executed thru programs here not just guessing an account password... im gonna rob you blind in game for wasting my time here

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

Francois424 wrote: any way to change an account password ? I'm going to take one of my 20 "letters" long ones.

Password <newPassword> <repeatPassword>
Changes the password of the commanding players account.
Requires the same C-class IP address as the account's creator for an immediate change.
If the account IP differs, and the account is registered, the password change will be verified by sending a code to the registered email address.
If the account is unregistered, and there is not an IP match, the request will be forwarded to staff, who will likely ask you to register your account.
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Schmitty wrote:we are talking about actual malicious intent being executed thru programs here not just guessing an account password
I already addressed our stance regarding this:
Kaivan wrote:Of course, this does not give anyone license to try and pound our login servers with an account name and various password combinations, as this would be viewed as a network attack
Beyond this, any other access to an account is outside of our control.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Francois424
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Francois424 »

WiseOne wrote:
Francois424 wrote: any way to change an account password ? I'm going to take one of my 20 "letters" long ones.

Password <newPassword> <repeatPassword>
Changes the password of the commanding players account.
Requires the same C-class IP address as the account's creator for an immediate change.
If the account IP differs, and the account is registered, the password change will be verified by sending a code to the registered email address.
If the account is unregistered, and there is not an IP match, the request will be forwarded to staff, who will likely ask you to register your account.
Thank you. Sorry for all the newb questions, but I'm learning.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Kaivan wrote:
Schmitty wrote:we are talking about actual malicious intent being executed thru programs here not just guessing an account password
I already addressed our stance regarding this:
Kaivan wrote:Of course, this does not give anyone license to try and pound our login servers with an account name and various password combinations, as this would be viewed as a network attack
Beyond this, any other access to an account is outside of our control.
Hey guys, I've got a pretty cool new legit UO client you should try, it allows for HD resolution.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Using that as an example, if someone ends up getting a keylogger on their system for some reason, there is little way to prove that you had your password taken by a keylogger. As a player, you may claim that it was a keylogger, but the results are indistinguishable from giving your account password to another person.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Kaivan wrote:Using that as an example, if someone ends up getting a keylogger on their system for some reason, there is little way to prove that you had your password taken by a keylogger. As a player, you may claim that it was a keylogger, but the results are indistinguishable from giving your account password to another person.
Fair enough. Now what if, let's suppose, there was sufficient evidence to prove a malicious password theft... I assume then that there would be a ban?

Hypotheticals, just curious, I'm not about to key log anyone ;)

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Assuming that conclusive evidence was found, then yes, we would issue a ban to the player. Keylogging a computer is not only harmful to our players, it is illegal.

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Okay so, to the OP, was your house a small on the water next to a keep in Windmere Woods? There was a small next to my keep that went IDOC and fell last week. Pretty sure the sign said "Sanka's House".

Galendae
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Galendae »

Apocalypse wrote:Okay so, to the OP, was your house a small on the water next to a keep in Windmere Woods? There was a small next to my keep that went IDOC and fell last week. Pretty sure the sign said "Sanka's House".

Admit it Apocylapse, you Haxord him!!!

Bixby Legbone

Post by Bixby Legbone »

Kriav wrote:I log in today and found my house under another account that is not mine.
This house was under my Sanka account. I logged in once or twice a week to refresh as I am busy with work.

I think that since we do not use encryption there is a possibility that some one stole my account.

I want to a list of IP addresses that my accounts used over the last 2 months. perhaps someone even unlikey that I know in irl is griefing me.

Can I get that list????

If someone happened to access your account, it is likely the person would have also looted anything worthwhile from your character's banks. Did you notice anything important missing from your bank accounts?

Kriav
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kriav »

Apocalypse wrote:Okay so, to the OP, was your house a small on the water next to a keep in Windmere Woods? There was a small next to my keep that went IDOC and fell last week. Pretty sure the sign said "Sanka's House".
Yes But I am telling you that I was on that account once a week. if not more.

Budner
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Budner »

It's possible I suppose that you thought you did a refresh but there was a server revert? Which might make your house IDOC and then another player takes the spot? Or you thought you refreshed it but didn't? (wouldn't be the first time for many of us)