Topics related to Second Age
Guerrilla

Re: UOSA Silver Discussion and Idea for Change

Post by Guerrilla »

Well, i think it's a fantastic idea, and clearly kaivan failed to recognize the title of the thread "UOSA Silver Discussion and Idea for Change", personally i don't know where you get "era accuracy" anywhere out of that. But kudos to Telamon, a real player, with real ideas. You got my vote comrade.
Halleluyah
<DemonArkanis> hopefully ill go to hell and not have to listen to your bullshit

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Kaivan wrote:
Telamon wrote:
Kaivan wrote:As novel as this idea is, this falls completely outside the realm of mechanical era accuracy. Adding in silver on creatures provides an identical result to allowing players to purchase these items using gold. As a result, silver loses it's only argument, which is the fact that it is a reward for a "special" (it's hard to call something that happens 5 times a week special and actually mean it) event that is not considered normal day-to-day interaction between players.

Additionally, I have made several very clear statements on the mechanical inaccuracies of events and silver as a whole. The fact that no tangible argument to counter that position has been made should indicate the point quite clearly. That is: events are a proponent of mechanical accuracy, and must be treated as such.
I appreciate you comments. However I sent this to Derrick first asking permission to post this idea for public comment.
I didn't say that you couldn't discuss this issue, however my job is to consider era accuracy which is UOSA's paramount goal. As such, I won't look away from an issue when it's convenient to do so for a particular crowd, or if everyone is in agreement. As such, you can always expect that I will comment on these issues when they in conflict with proper mechanics.
Telamon wrote:
Telamon wrote: Is it ERA accurate? Yes
While this could be debated for years, based on the statements from Derrick, Braden and others the silver system is UOSA's answer to the rewards system that (I think) is era accurate. All that aside we have silver now, silver isn't going anywhere so adding another method of obtaining silver can easily be deemed appropriate for UOSA. In my opinion this would maintain ERA accuracy while allowing all ranges of players appropriate rewards for taking risks of all levels.
I did not post this as a debate on silver vs ERA accuracy but as an idea to work within the system currently in place. If the GM stance on events is that they are gone permanently and silver is being removed from the game in the near future as your comments indicate is the plan (or opinion?) then this whole discussion is moot.

If you wish this discussion taken elsewhere or removed then please say so, otherwise I would be interested to continue to read the playerbases comments on the subject.
Again, these discussions are perfectly fine, and I won't prevent these discussion from occurring.

As for the statement that you made regarding accuracy, the reality is that these events are not accurate, regardless of what specific person says. To put it another way, you can call an airplane a toaster, but it doesn't make it so. The same is true with accuracy. Someone may say that something is accurate, but that doesn't make it true, regardless of what the person's position is. The best one can hope for is that we will ignore era accuracy in spite of the implications.

Edit:
GuardianKnight wrote:Don't let this discussion end just because Kaivan went all negative on it. He is one of the admin but he isn't the last word on every thing.

I have had bosses give negative criticism simply because it would be a pain for them to bother with. The trick is to always go to the boss above your boss. Middle management is only there to slow you down to make you look bad and then speed you up to make them look good.
I'm saddened by the notion that you have such a low opinion of someone who doesn't see eye to eye with you. There is absolutely no need to try and insult me by pawning me off as a "middle management" component of Second Age, with no agenda other than to attempt to make everyone else look bad while I make myself look good.

In fact, the very notion that you would seek to chastise anyone who puts in volunteer effort because they don't support your specific opinion is truly disappointing, and a testament to the truth of infinite greed.

My post was to tell telamon not to stop just because you tried to put his idea down. I then related work experience to tell him that just because one of the bosses isn't interested, doesn't mean they all will be. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. My posts that combat other posts are usually in the same range of empathy as the post it is fighting. Once you realize that, you won't be half as angry about the things I write.

PS: I have no greed and could care less about any of the crap. Why does everyone throw the "greed" card when you don't agree with them?
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

goldendog
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by goldendog »

People farming mobs for hours on the off chance they drop a rare? That reminds me of Everquest or WoW...I think, never played WoW.

Events perhaps staying gone? Just let silver die out, we don't need that. When was the last time you saw someone wearing a normal coloured deer mask?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

tekai wrote:Perhaps if you were not so one sided in all of your debates, (Pro hally mage, down with everything else) people would have a better opinion of you.

You are like faust some times, only with power and no argument to stand on.
My position on mechanics is not derived from taking sides with an argument. It's derived from the information that exists about the mechanics from the era. This includes information that leads to nerfs for particular classes (Yes, tamers are one of them), and it includes fighting against some of the current mechanics that favor hally mages (i.e. hally cycling). I have no particular bias for any class in these cases, and I find it surprising that you would suggest that all of the changes that I have advocated for were done merely based on my 'power' without any argument to stand on.
Guerrilla wrote:Well, i think it's a fantastic idea, and clearly kaivan failed to recognize the title of the thread "UOSA Silver Discussion and Idea for Change", personally i don't know where you get "era accuracy" anywhere out of that. But kudos to Telamon, a real player, with real ideas. You got my vote comrade.
Coming up with ideas for the server is just fine, however these ideas must be checked against the overall goal of accuracy for the server. Why? Because if they weren't, any of the ideas that came in later UO expansions, or any idea that any person thought up would become a valid proposition. This is the entire fundamental reason for accuracy, and the non-bias of that requirement should be self-explanatory.
GuardianKnight wrote:My post was to tell telamon not to stop just because you tried to put his idea down. I then related work experience to tell him that just because one of the bosses isn't interested, doesn't mean they all will be. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. My posts that combat other posts are usually in the same range of empathy as the post it is fighting. Once you realize that, you won't be half as angry about the things I write.
So, instead of saying just the following:
GuardianKnight wrote:Don't let this discussion end just because Kaivan went all negative on it. He is one of the admin but he isn't the last word on every thing.
You found it necessary to add the following:
GuardianKnight wrote:I have had bosses give negative criticism simply because it would be a pain for them to bother with. The trick is to always go to the boss above your boss. Middle management is only there to slow you down to make you look bad and then speed you up to make them look good.
This particular bit is entirely unnecessary, and if this wasn't a direct implication that I displayed these attributes, then you went about it in a horrible way.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Flea

Post by Flea »

Kaiven, you speak of era accuracy alot. Some thoughts of mine... People complain about some items that exist, non gameplay affecting items. Yes events arnt era accurate but possibly the two things that actually affect game play are over looked. Which are being able to multi client and afk macroing. Those actually affect the shards era accuracy 200x as much as some sort of work for rewards system.

P..S. waiting on era accurate item bless deeds and furniture dye tubs. Thanks.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Flea wrote:Kaiven, you speak of era accuracy alot. Some thoughts of mine... People complain about some items that exist, non gameplay affecting items. Yes events arnt era accurate but possibly the two things that actually affect game play are over looked. Which are being able to multi client and afk macroing. Those actually affect the shards era accuracy 200x as much as some sort of work for rewards system.
I'll address your points here, although these are mostly the same points that have been discussed before. First, while AFK macroing has an adverse effect on the overall gameplay environment, this is not a mechanical issue, and is purely an issue of policy. Realistically speaking, it's not feasible to competently police as many players as we have for AFK macroing of any kind. Second, multi-clienting is an entirely client-side feature, and we have only one way to restrict such activity at the server level: restrict access to 1 client per IP. While this would solve the issue, this would have the adverse effect of preventing people who live in the same house from playing at the same time. This is not an acceptable proposition, and is one of the realities of freeshards in general. Finally, the idea that players can acquire non-gameplay effecting items is entirely irrelevant to this discussion. The fact is that this idea is no different than suggesting a modified bulk order deed system that only rewarded crafters with items that do not effect gameplay. In both circumstances, the addition requires a change to the mechanics, and the change in mechanics are inaccurate. That is enough to disregard the changes.
Flea wrote:P..S. waiting on era accurate item bless deeds and furniture dye tubs. Thanks.
I have advocated for the limited release of both unlimited furniture dye tubs (with the removal of the reward tubs), and the addition of item bless deeds. This is a perfectly accurate point to make.

Guerrilla

Post by Guerrilla »

Kaivan said:
Coming up with ideas for the server is just fine, however these ideas must be checked against the overall goal of accuracy for the server. Why? Because if they weren't, any of the ideas that came in later UO expansions, or any idea that any person thought up would become a valid proposition. This is the entire fundamental reason for accuracy, and the non-bias of that requirement should be self-explanatory.
With that being said, when can I expect to get my hands on an Item Bless Deed? Or, My etheral llama, been missing her like crazy.
Last edited by Guerrilla on Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halleluyah

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Guerrilla wrote:Or, My etheral llama been missing her like crazy.
As nice as it would be to have etheral mounts as they originally existed during early UOR, they were just that, a UOR addition.

Guerrilla

Post by Guerrilla »

The ethy llama had nothing to do with the mechanics of UOR... It was a time thing. And we are nearing the 3 year mark for UOSA, let's be realilstic here.

Okay, pardon me for the latter. But what shall be done about the first?
Kaivan's skill in dodging has increased by .1 % :D
Last edited by Guerrilla on Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Halleluyah

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Guerrilla wants an IBD stocking stuffer this year... I can tell.

Guerrilla

Post by Guerrilla »

All in the name of "era accuracy", nice observation Rose.
Halleluyah

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Don't expect item bless deeds for Christmas, they won't be available from there.

Brules

Post by Brules »

My take is this: If silver is here to stay, then I think having it spawn in the real, dangerous, RISKY REAL world, versus safe, risk free, no loss, neon trammel, is much preferred. This system would at least happen in the game world, where as the events in trammel are completely un-accurate. Every 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 ever held on Baja was in the game world and fully griefable with NO silver rewards.

So if silver is here for the long haul - I advocate it being obtainable in the real game world versus a risk free trammel zone like it is now.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Kaivan wrote:
Flea wrote:P..S. waiting on era accurate item bless deeds and furniture dye tubs. Thanks.
I have advocated for the limited release of both unlimited furniture dye tubs (with the removal of the reward tubs), and the addition of item bless deeds. This is a perfectly accurate point to make.
Thanks. Ill keep bumping my thread until it gets implemented. That seems to be how things get done around here anyways.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Matty
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Matty »

oh no, item bless deeds? please say this isn't so. can we just keep the shard as is? maybe bring back events and no more changes?