Topics related to Second Age
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Last edited by Telamon on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

elhorno
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: UOSA Silver Discussion and Idea for Change

Post by elhorno »

Great idea. If this were adopted, this is how I would see it going down. Players would rather quickly find out the most efficient locations for farming silver from monsters, PVE would ensue, then PvP would ensue. Especially if this were the only way of obtaining silver, all those addicted to neon would be out and about farming it, not sitting around brit bank.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Good idea. I would like to see something like this implemented.

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

I love killing random monsters I come across, it helps me pretend I am role-playing. Great idea. Two thumbs up!
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

fdtreece
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by fdtreece »

This would be huge for those of us like myself who are completely inept at pvp. Especially if silver has a chance to drop on any monster and isn't just limited to a select few spawns. Great idea!

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

As novel as this idea is, this falls completely outside the realm of mechanical era accuracy. Adding in silver on creatures provides an identical result to allowing players to purchase these items using gold. As a result, silver loses it's only argument, which is the fact that it is a reward for a "special" (it's hard to call something that happens 5 times a week special and actually mean it) event that is not considered normal day-to-day interaction between players.

Additionally, I have made several very clear statements on the mechanical inaccuracies of events and silver as a whole. The fact that no tangible argument to counter that position has been made should indicate the point quite clearly. That is: events are a proponent of mechanical accuracy, and must be treated as such.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Nergnog

Post by Nergnog »

Be great for the poor saps (like me) who couldn't participate in the events due to time constraints and are too poor to buy silver and support characters well. I fully support this, and perhaps the reintroduction of events to deflate silver a bit.

Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Last edited by Telamon on Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ragancy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ragancy »

Does this new rando-silver-drop mechanism aim to be in addition to or replace events once they return?

Tiwstacain

Post by Tiwstacain »

I like the idea, but its already been squished without a 2nd thought from kaivan

TC

platy

Post by platy »

I don't like the idea - It's a matter of keeping rare items rare.
Farming gold to buy the items from silver or even silver coins for that matter is MUCH easier than acquiring the silver itself - which is how it should be. Some people farm monsters ALL DAY for gold, and by the end of the day have 1million GP in their bank - what would happen if they finish with a million GP AND 100silver..?
Silver AND gold would become worthless!

Again, the rarity of the items through silver are very hard to obtain for a reason, as they were hard to obtain on OSI.
After the CUB neon hair dyes were worth millions, rares were worth high prices, etc..
It wasn't until neon hair vendors when everyone ran around with neon hair - and that was because GOLD is easy!

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Don't let this discussion end just because Kaivan went all negative on it. He is one of the admin but he isn't the last word on every thing.

I have had bosses give negative criticism simply because it would be a pain for them to bother with. The trick is to always go to the boss above your boss. Middle management is only there to slow you down to make you look bad and then speed you up to make them look good.

These ideas weren't bad and for him to say it doesn't fit in the mechanical era accuracy is just silly. The whole point was to give events to the shard without needing the help of GMs like the actual era had. If monsters spawning silver and trophies wasn't accurate, then the GM made events that occur from time to time wouldn't spawn trophy points and silver.

The truth of the matter is, automated events aren't era accurate to begin with. The only times you saw tournaments in UO were during GM run events that the winner would get a nice unique item and a special mention on the website. We have been through this already and it is known that it isn't era accurate but is kept to make it easier on the staff.

I don't like arguing with the staff. I avoid it as much as possible. Even when they irc ban me, i try to joke about it when i get back. I mean no disrespect and though I don't play much anymore, I still respect the work you do enough to not outright attack you.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Brules

Post by Brules »

The ENTIRE event system, it happening in green acres, being ungriefable, full automation, no risk, no reg use - is 100000000000000000000000000000000000000x more mechanically inaccurate than something like this. Auto events are as trammel as trammel itself. If silver is UOSA's reward system, then THIS type of distribution for it is far more accurate than events as it would happen IN the game world and there would be risk/reward.

This is 10,000 times better than the way events are rewarded now. This system would get everyone in game - PVM would increase, but so would PVP. As long as what/when silver spawns is totally random and not in certain spawn areas, it would be a great idea.
Last edited by Brules on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pacifico

Post by Pacifico »

Just a thought...

What if to get silver rewards you actually used gold

and silver was set to a certain gold amount (GM vendor) therefore you did those events for gold

So we would be rewarding going out into the world collecting gold and the system is still a gold sink, but we eliminate the "rare" silver

This is like how they made neon beard/hair dye set to 500,000gp each (Not in our era though) and was some on NCPs

TLDR: Only silver reward is a set gold price exchange, "silver rewards" would be bought with gold (rewarding those playing in the field, not just the ones that only do events)

Brules

Post by Brules »

Pacifico wrote:Just a thought...

What if to get silver rewards you actually used gold

and silver was set to a certain gold amount (GM vendor) therefore you did those events for gold

So we would be rewarding going out into the world collecting gold and the system is still a gold sink, but we eliminate the "rare" silver

This is like how they made neon beard/hair dye set to 500,000gp each (Not in our era though) and was some on NCPs

TLDR: Only silver reward is a set gold price exchange, "silver rewards" would be bought with gold (rewarding those playing in the field, not just the ones that only do events)
If silver is in the game, Telamons idea is great, if silver were removed (which I am for as its inaccurate) then I like your idea of creating a gold sink, but gold sink idea is out of our era like you said.

Something needs to be done though as events and their risk for reward are just pure trammel.