Discussion: Poison - Resistable?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Discussion: Poison - Resistable?

Post by Hemperor »

All of these postings are from Feb 24 99 or later, right after some major changes were done to resist:
: Except that I can cast poison on anyone and inflict level 2 poison for
: the cost of 8 mana and one nightshade. That spell also can't be
: resisted.
I havent' tried it since the patch but I never *failed* to resist poison
before this patch. Much different scenario.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... 603df36a48#
I was able to cast poison on anyone,
regardless of their resistance. Again, this is with no evaluate
intelligence skill.
Being poisoned will, though, since you can't resist it.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... 7a004d48e2#

I was going to make a seperate topic for mana drain as well, which seemed to be a MAJOR issue if you read these links, however it was patched within 2 days:
Feb 26 wrote:The mana drain and mana vampire spells have had the chance of being resisted raised substantially.
No mention of resisting poison anywhere though. It seems that it was easily resistable before Feb 24 99, as it is on this shard, but afterwards it couldn't be resisted.

Thoughs, comments, information?

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

poogoblin

Re: Discussion: Poison - Resistable?

Post by poogoblin »

To sway me I'd want something more than newsgroup chat...especially those posted, it seems wishy washy at best.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

poogoblin wrote:To sway me I'd want something more than newsgroup chat...especially those posted, it seems wishy washy at best.
This is something that is up for discussion, I'm requesting people add their own information or experiences rather than how convincing a post saying "poison can not be resisted" is. I have a few more newsgroup posts, however they all say the same thing and no need to clutter it all up until I have something more to add.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

I find no patch notes suggesting that there was a change in the ability to resist poison.

I also find no era notes suggesting that the poison spell was somehow an exception to all over spells of it's circle in terms of resistance.

I find it very difficult to believe that the developers would have treated the two spells most damaging to non-magic users (poison and paralyze) any different than other spells.

Paralyze, from demo tests, suggest resisting it decrease the duration of the spells effect however there is a later patch note saying that resisting paralyze was modified. I wonder if it allowed you to avoid it all together.

Concerning poison, the demo shows that it is resistible. To change this, one would need to find proof that some era modification made it a special spell able to defeat the mechanics of resistance entirely at the cost of 8 mana and a nightshade.
Hemperor wrote:
Log of Twenty-Second Open House 2-11-99 wrote:Glamdring> *^Lucian* Will spells like Paralyze and Curse ever be resistable?
Faceless> Paralyze will in the next update. Curse isn't but could be in the future.
Patch Notes: Feb. 24, 1999 wrote:The following spells have had their chance of resist and their effect adjusted:
Mana drain
Mana vampire
Paralyze

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Actually, I thought it was pretty clear by now that I proved mana drain, vampire, and paralyze were tweaked or changed as to how they were resisted and how easily with the patch of Feb. 24, 99.

I believe it's pretty clear that I have displayed that mana drain could not be resisted as soon as this patch hit and neither could poison. Mana drain was a major problem (obvious reasons) and was fixed 2 days later, there is no mention of poison, however.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Please demonstrate the clarity of your case concerning the non-resistability of poison spell in this discussion concerning poison resistability.

From what you offered above, there's not much of a string of hard evidence.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Kraarug wrote:Please demonstrate the clarity of your case concerning the non-resistability of poison spell in this discussion concerning poison resistability.

From what you offered above, there's not much of a string of hard evidence.
Sorry, should be more clear. As soon as this patch hit, it seems pretty definitive to me that poison COULD NOT be resisted. Whether this was the case for a week, or the rest of the era, is what this discussion should be about.

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:30:00 GMT, Dun...@LakeSuperior.com (Dundee) wrote:Actually, Faceless spent a good part of last night on CoB claiming
that all was well, that their tests said that people could resist Mana
Drain and Poison even if no one could on the regular shards. He was
finally battered into admitting there was a "problem" with these
spells and that OSI would fix it "soon".
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... 7a004d48e2#

Faust

Post by Faust »

I really don't believe it for multiple reasons. Dexers would resist poison a lot back then from my recollection. It was a pain in the ass when they would, and high resist dexers weren't bad at all. This would also mean poison field was not resistable and that definitely was too.

Poison in UOR was resistable but to a very low degree. The resist changes brought from the UOR era lowered the chance of resisting it down significantly for all spells. For example, ebolt went from 54% to around 24% and poison went from 69% to 49%.

This may have just been a fluke, but who really knows. I would look for more to support this if it was me though.

Ulor

Post by Ulor »

Remember NOX Mages?

Mages with high Poisoning skill could cast varying levels of Poison, depending on their Magery and Poisoning skills. At GM Magery/Poisoning, casting within 1 tile of a target provided for a chance to cast DP.

The resistability of Poison decreased in proportion to the caster's Poisoning skill.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Ulor wrote:Remember NOX Mages?

Mages with high Poisoning skill could cast varying levels of Poison, depending on their Magery and Poisoning skills. At GM Magery/Poisoning, casting within 1 tile of a target provided for a chance to cast DP.

The resistability of Poison decreased in proportion to the caster's Poisoning skill.
That's UO:R

Ulor

Post by Ulor »

Hemperor wrote:
Ulor wrote:Remember NOX Mages?

That's UO:R
Ah, good. Wasn't sure.

poogoblin

Post by poogoblin »

Not to get off course but could someone link me something for
Derrick wrote: Poison spell ranges from regular to greater, via check against magery level
I'm sure it is correct, and I think I ran across discussions about it, I just can't seem to find anything presently on it myself.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

poogoblin wrote:Not to get off course but could someone link me something for
Derrick wrote: Poison spell ranges from regular to greater, via check against magery level
I'm sure it is correct, and I think I ran across discussions about it, I just can't seem to find anything presently on it myself.
The spell guide on stratics in era has it as:
"Gives your opponent Greater Poison. Not real effective in PvP combat, versus high-level monsters it can do a lot of damage, albeit somewhat slow." (http://web.archive.org/web/200003102041 ... agic.htm#1)
Other versions of this page say "up to greater..", ;but the indication of the formula for poison level applied comes out of the OSI code.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."