Hybrids nearly worthless..... sugesstions for accuracy

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Redrumsback

Hybrids nearly worthless..... sugesstions for accuracy

Post by Redrumsback »

I remember playing a hybrid and it was no where near as difficult as it is too play one here in the T2A era. There are a few things that i want to bring up in question. With that said I have created three different hybrid builds on this server and have tried them all out equally before posting this.

One is someone with zero wrestling skill and well over 80 dex gets hit EVERY TIME with a weapon off??? Literally when someone is swinging at me trying to cast i get hit each and ever time does not fail. What ever happened to high dex characters getting an agility advantage? Why is there no calculation built in to compensate warriors more from being hit than a 25 dex tank mage with wrestling??

Next i would like to discuss the frequency of hits verse someone with 100 wrestling and only 25 dex.... why is it that i miss fifty percent of my swings vs a mage with such low dex skill? Is wrestling way overpowered here?? something is definitely wrong i distinctly remember t2a not being like this at all.

My proposal is too tone down wrestling or figure out a way to incorporate dex into the calculation.... after all if you read the osi manual dex has a direct correlation with a persons agility... so why would a 25 dex tank mage be getting such an advantage and a hybrid getting whacked EVERY HIT with no wrestling??

I think some serious thought needs to be put into this. Not to mention with the way mini heal is right now it would be impossible for a hybrid or dexxer to beat tank mages in 1vs1 torneys we are distinctly disadvantaged. A 100 dex fencer with a gm kryss can stand next to a mage with 25 dex and 100 wrestling and swing constantly without the mage moving. The mage can continue to cast mini heal and would never have a chance of dying.... test this out yourself... is something wrong here??

Also these are suggestions i would consider looking deeper into... this is how i remember things being... and these is definatly an imbalance here from what i can tell. i by no means have the time or effort to proove these to be correct myself.... just an FYI before the almighty board trolls hemporer and faust start flaming my thread.
Last edited by Redrumsback on Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Hybrids nearly worthless..... sugesstions for accuracy

Post by Mikel123 »

You are apparently under the impression that dexterity has an impact on your chance to hit or be hit.

I don't know if this is the case right now in UO, but for the T2A time period it certainly was not. Weapon skills (or wrestling) are the sole determiners of whether or not you get hit. At 0 skill against someone with 100 skill, you will be hit every time and will never hit them.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

I don't flame threads.

You are just incredibly wrong and there isn't a single person who will back you up :mrgreen:

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The chance to hit an opponent is based strictly on your weapon skill vs theirs.
There is something called "defensive wrestling" or similar introduced in later eras similar to what you are referring to, but it was still based on skills, not stats.

100% regen in leather also came in a later era, but in the T2A era, meditation does work better in leather than in metal armor for the same AR.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Right... T2A meditation is scaled (I don't remember this but I'll take people's word for it). UO:R meditation treated leather as basically naked, where it had no negative impact on meditation.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

On an added note, it's extremely easy to play a properly balanced hybrid here if you have the knowledge/know-how. Go make a Macing Medwarrior or Evalwarrior and you should have no problem beating most people 1v1. The only template you really have to watch out for are ones who have parrying, everyone else should be 'easy enough' in a 1v1
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

marmalade

Post by marmalade »

there was a pub 16 feature to balance out powerscrolls at the end of the UO:R era which introduced defensive wrestling (evaluating intelligence + anatomy = wrestlings defensive bonus when unarmed) which made it unnecessary for tank mages to have wrestling, allowing them to drop it for anatomy - gaining a damage bonus and the ability to deliver special blows.

before that, to my knowledge, hybrids always had the disadvantage of being completely vulnerable to dexxers or tank mages when unequiping to cast. that, along with not having the special blows from anatomy during the t2a era, makes me think that hybrids were not a great choice of template for this time period.

the tiny damage bonus you get from anatomy does not balance the defensive shortcomings you receive from dropping wrestling on a character with 3 mage related skills.

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

RoadKill wrote:On an added note, it's extremely easy to play a properly balanced hybrid here if you have the knowledge/know-how. Go make a Macing Medwarrior or Evalwarrior and you should have no problem beating most people 1v1. The only template you really have to watch out for are ones who have parrying, everyone else should be 'easy enough' in a 1v1

x2