Dire Wolves & Frenzied Ostards

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Dire Wolves & Frenzied Ostards

Post by Mikel123 »

http://web.archive.org/web/199910130905 ... /dire.html

The Dire Wolf wrestling and tactics seems way too low right now. I had one provoked on an Air Elemental and it couldn't hit the thing at all; the rare times it did, it looked like it did 1 or 2 damage only. They should be better than Trolls, in terms of wrestling, tactics, dmg, etc. Also, according to the link above, they should be using the drake/wyvern type of aggression (i.e., immediately!)

I also still feel like frenzied ostards are pretty weak. I see them averaging around 8 to 10 HPs per hit; our wiki (http://wiki.uosecondage.com/?title=Animal_Taming), which was pulled from Stratics, says they should be averaging 15.5. In addition, I'm not sure they're spawning with their full range of STR. They should be 94 to 170 HPs; maybe I've been unlucky, but the half-dozen or so I've found have seemed to be at the lower end (I'm judging this by the number of e-bolts it's taken me to kill them).

Grizzly bears may be a little underpowered too, but I'm not sure - I didn't have too much experience with them back in the day. They are mentioned in the same paragraph as dire wolves and frenzied ostards here http://www.tamingarchive.com/faqs/pvp.php which claims those two to be the best non-dragon/nightmare choices for "PvP".

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Dire Wolves & Frenzied Ostards

Post by BlackFoot »

I deff used to be more afraid of dire wolves than most forest monsters :P
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Rhaps

Post by Rhaps »

Hmm, im not sure if this might be related but I noticed more than a few times when killing dire wolves the corpse is called "a silver wolf corpse" rather than the expected "a dire wolf corpse". I was never 100% if this was a bug or not. If it is, may be related to their screwy stats too; if not ignore.

I also noticed dire wolves and frenzieds don't seem as much as a threat as I remember them. Although grizzly bears seem about right to me, have seen them mostly-kill aire eles a few times in my early provo days.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Yup, just tested grizzlies and they seem accurate.

That "silver wolf" corpse is really cool. There were supposed to be dark wolves and silver wolves at the same time there were supposed to be dark steeds and silver steeds, but I don't think they ever got implemented (or maybe they were for a brief time on some shards).

Faust

Post by Faust »

Dire Wolves should have the following skills...

Code: Select all

<sk             skill_melee          1d200+500>
<sk             skill_weapon_hand    1d200+600>
<sk             skill_magic_defense  1d175+575>
<sk             skill_battle_defense 1d125+625>
So in other words their wrestling is 60 with a random value of 1-20 added too it. We shall wait to see what Derrick confirms with this associated skill for them.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I realize they seemed pretty deadly too, but I think more when I was running around as a newer character.

I just confirmed our Dire Wolves against the OSI templates, I'm hesitant to make these any tougher without more information.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Wow, that's awesome. I was literally going to guess their skill was 60-85, so at least I was in the ballpark :-)

Faust, is that from the demo? If so, I will relent. The only other point of reference I have is the Oct1999 stratics page in which the dire wolves were an offensive rating of 7, as were trolls (which seem much stronger on this shard, relative to dire wolves). Frenzies are listed at 8, which is comparable to a blade spirit. Of course, this is incredibly subjective, but at least they did put numbers with it.

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

Are the dire wolves aggroing on anyone? I'm at work atm, but since we're on the subject, I remember dire wolves and possibly other animals chasing after you. Doesn,t seem like that happens very often here if at all. Of course I could just be imagining things.

Teg

Post by Teg »

Arkosh Kovasz wrote:Are the dire wolves aggroing on anyone? I'm at work atm, but since we're on the subject, I remember dire wolves and possibly other animals chasing after you. Doesn,t seem like that happens very often here if at all. Of course I could just be imagining things.
Of the things generally considered "animals" in non-dungeon, non-T2A lands, I believe the only things that should be aggressive are alligators, dire wolves, spiders, scorpions, giant and sewer rats, and snakes.

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

Maybe I'm just running across more regular wolves than dire.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

yea its true when i was runnign aroudn the forest fighting stuff i probably sucked pretty bad haha
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Yeah, I take that into account in my thinking on this. Literally every shard I've ever started on, I've begun with a dexer and have GMed my weapon and tactics skills off of spawn to the north or east of Britain. So I have a decent sense of when I can challenge certain animals/monsters and when I can't. In any case, just wanted to start the dialogue. I don't have any hard numbers except for the stratics Offensive Rating numbers, which is just a 1-10 rating. But I will keep looking.