A Problem with Stealing

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

A Problem with Stealing

Post by chumbucket »

NPCs seem to be able to call the guards on you even when they can't see you. In other words, they seem to be able to see through walls.

Jack

Re: A Problem with Stealing

Post by Jack »

they do this for any crime

working as intended

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Eduardo wrote:NPCs seem to be able to call the guards on you even when they can't see you. In other words, they seem to be able to see through walls.
They can't actually see though walls I don't believe, but they can see through windows and doors

chumbucket
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by chumbucket »

My, uh, testing at this point seems to indicate that if there is a window or door in a wall, then, for the purposes of NPC's seeing or not seeing you, that wall is as good as not there.

~|~Damaja
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by ~|~Damaja »

I used to see npcs call guards from inside buildings. If that had to do with windows or not I didnt even think of it. Seems to be working as intended

nubblie

Post by nubblie »

Eduardo wrote:My, uh, testing at this point seems to indicate that if there is a window or door in a wall, then, for the purposes of NPC's seeing or not seeing you, that wall is as good as not there.
i agree with eduardo... from my thieving experience on OSI during T2A era I was never GW as much as I am now.

I have died more as a GM thief here then I did on OSI with my low 70's thief during T2A.

akeba

Post by akeba »

I just attempted to steal from someone in the front room of the vesper bank. The town crier Kasia called the guards on me by seeing me through a wall with no windows..

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Derrick wrote:They can't actually see though walls I don't believe, but they can see through windows and doors
I think I misspoke here. There's an old guide to stealing that I'm trying to find that I believe indicates that MPC's and guards can actually see though walls when it comes to the stealing skill. This is different than other criminal actions. I'll try and find it and post it here

Butt Pirate

Post by Butt Pirate »

They definitely see through walls. An NPC on the first floor of another building called guards on me when i was in the second floor of an adjacent building.

ClowN

Post by ClowN »

i second this. i just recently started playing here and noticed that as well with npcs calling guards. i remember on OSI that if i failed to steal an item outside of the bank, i had a chance to run away before someone would say "guards", unless there was an NPC in the area (as in visable from line of sight, not behind walls). im pretty sure NPC's should not be calling guards on anyone caught stealing unless they have line of sight when you commit the act of stealing.

Faust

Post by Faust »

The default RunUO code does allow guards to be called by NPC's through walls.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Looking into this, here's some interesting info though:
http://web.archive.org/web/199910012124 ... ealing.htm
http://web.archive.org/web/199910012124 ... lrange.jpg

http://web.archive.org/web/200002011019 ... /town.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20000201101932/uo.stratics.com/reputation/town.html wrote: What actions will summon guards in town?
Any action that flags a character as a Criminal. The guards must be called within 15 seconds after the crime is committed. Note that NPCs can call guards so sometimes it may seem that no one witnessed your crime but there is probably an NPC nearby.

Return to “In Game Bug Reports”