PC Stamina Drain

Report any bugs you discover on the server here
Blackbeard

PC Stamina Drain

Post by Blackbeard »

I'm assuming stamina drain works on a percentage basis? What's the ratio of spell and melee hit damage with the amount of stamina it drains? I was dueling on test with a war fork and I couldn't help but notice the tank mage I was fighting had no problem running around after about ten hits (said he was at about 21 of 25) and yet, if he managed to land a two-hit combo (Exp+Ebolt) that I wasn't able to resist, I'd be down to less than half. If you tried this on someone who was standing still (and survived ten hits), they wouldn't be able to move. Does being in combat and running around have something to do with this? I'm going under the idea that the PvP mechanics on test aren't totally off either.
"In case I don't see ya: Good afternoon, good evening and good night."

Kordavox

Re: PC Stamina Drain

Post by Kordavox »

I can't really attest to stam drain with anything but mace weapons, as any other type of wep/magic provides only very minimal stam loss. In fact, I think stam loss with anything else but a mace weapon fails to outpace typical stam regen. Try your test again with a mace weapon.

Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard »

I did. Here are the results I've gotten. Every weapon drains stamina at almost exactly the same rate. I can't help but think that maybe the stamina drain from non-bashing weapons is just a little bit accelerated. Check it out.
Attachments
Halberd Drain.rpv
(4.51 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Katana Drain.rpv
(4.55 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
War Fork Drain.rpv
(4.45 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
War Hammer Drain.rpv
(4.2 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

chazzman69

Post by chazzman69 »

Blackbeard wrote:I did. Here are the results I've gotten. Every weapon drains stamina at almost exactly the same rate. I can't help but think that maybe the stamina drain from non-bashing weapons is just a little bit accelerated. Check it out.
I agree there is something wrong when mast bladed weapons take down stamina just as fast as macing weapons

Errikos

Post by Errikos »

Looking at the health and stamina bars on each of those videos, the health decreased more each hit than the stamina did for all but the war hammer. With the war hammer, the health and stamina bars decreased at the same rate.

Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard »

The stamina bar has always decreased at a shorter rate than health in regards to drainage. Take another look at the war hammer video. They're more evenly matched but the difference between bashing and slashing weapons is almost negligible.

Errikos

Post by Errikos »

The difference is negligible? There's a clear difference between the macing and non-macing tests. It's not huge, but it's there. The main problem with the tests I watched was that the target just lets itself quickly die. It should be healing itself like real players would so we can really see how the weapons impact a character's stamina over time.

Here's what I recommend: Re-do the tests but this time with the target healing itself for a while rather than letting itself get killed. Add quarterstaff to the tests.

Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard »

I don't believe it really makes a difference if I make myself drink a few refresh and heal pots during the process.

Stamina drain is a stable (meaning there's very little randomness in it) system based off of the amount of damage received.

I took random hits from each video and snapped a SS. I tried out your suggestion with the Q-Staff (and had him drink a few potions) and pretty much came up with the same results. You can clearly see that the differences are negligible and seem to even out to about a 5 to 10% difference in HP damage to stamina drain between bashing and slashing weapons. Yes, maces consistently do drain an almost equal amount of stamina but the point is that the other weapons seem to be accelerated in comparison. I don't know if this is how it was originally intended, since maces also do extra damage to the player's armor but I decided to put it out there anyways.
Attachments
Quarter Staff Drain.rpv
(4.87 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
WarforkDrain1.JPG
WarforkDrain1.JPG (17.81 KiB) Viewed 2214 times
HalberdDrain1.JPG
HalberdDrain1.JPG (18.52 KiB) Viewed 2214 times
KatanaDrain1.JPG
KatanaDrain1.JPG (17.19 KiB) Viewed 2214 times
WarhammerDrain1.JPG
WarhammerDrain1.JPG (13.8 KiB) Viewed 2214 times

Blackbeard

Post by Blackbeard »

If this is simply how it works from analyzing the demo code and patch notes, this thread probably shouldn't be in the Bug Report section :lol:
Attachments
QuarterStaffDrain1.JPG
QuarterStaffDrain1.JPG (14.24 KiB) Viewed 2212 times

Errikos

Post by Errikos »

I had originally thought that because the quarterstaff was a weapon that did a low amount of damage per hit but hit quickly, the stamina would drain faster than the health. But that didn't seem to happen.

In the quarterstaff video, did you drink a refresh pot after the heal pot? The stamina suddenly jumps up a couple seconds after the heal pot is used. Do you know if that tank mage you said you fought in the first post used stamina pots? The tank mage also had 25 dex, right? Have you done one of the tests against a character with 25 dex to see how the stamina drains then?

What exactly do you mean by the statement "the other weapons seem to be accelerated in comparison"?

When I proposed healing, it was because PVP has two people healing themselves typically with bandaids or magic while trying to damage the other person. Weapon hits, health and stamina go down, healing works, health goes us. That's where I got the idea of stamina drain becoming much more apparent in fights where the people are healing their health because their stamina barely goes back up unless they happen to use refresh pots. Running around should also drain their stamina a bit. I don't know where I'm going with this.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Stamina loss happens with all damage, not just maces.

Blunt weapons only add around an extra 2-5 extra points of stamina loss to each hit according to the '99 UO Stratics website.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

What does it add according to the demo?

Faust

Post by Faust »

The extra stamina drain produced by blunt/mace weapons wasn't patched in until February '99 with insta hit.

Return to “In Game Bug Reports”