Newb-ish question about Sparring

Topics related to Second Age
violator
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Newb-ish question about Sparring

Post by violator »

I want to build up my Swordsmanship and Wrestling skills, and I have seen many postings and IRC conversations about sparring with hired Paladins.

How do you do this exactly without them killing you, or you killing them?

Do you do like a "All Guard Me" and then start punching/slashing away?

Is there any way to do this without turning gray, or is there no way around that?

Thanks,

V
Death smiles at us all, but all a man can do is smile back.

Pixelclicker

Re: Newb-ish question about Sparring

Post by Pixelclicker »

<@BoomlandJenkins> I got home, got on UO right away and I knew something was up before I even made it to the spawner, because there were 35+ in the Justice woods and not one person was PKing one another.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Seriously I try to gather gold while I train rather then stare at the screen in a macro. Brit sewers is a good place to start.

But everyone has a bunch of characters so...

Make healers, at least one on another account have them heal you both after giving the all guard me command and attacking the kick puppy. He will be grey to you, no one else however.

There are supposed ways to get them to not attack you that involve commands breaking line of sight etc...but healing you both is a good way to boost healing gains anyway.

If you are just staring at the screen though...I'd start killing rats :lol:

A good way to train healing though is with a tamed spider or scorpion, and instead of hiring npcs you can just lure a monster in your house instead. Some monsters will give you gains in resist and poison you too!!! How cool is that :lol:
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Ragancy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ragancy »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:There are supposed ways to get them to not attack you that involve commands breaking line of sight etc...but healing you both is a good way to boost healing gains anyway.
breaking line of sight? too complicated. all you have to do is say 'all guard me' - then the NPC won't attack.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

That hasn't been the case since I came back, that's how I used to do it.
NPC's autodefend now.

Unless every NPC I have had wasn't about to be my training dummy :lol:
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Ragancy
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ragancy »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:That hasn't been the case since I came back, that's how I used to do it.
NPC's autodefend now.

Unless every NPC I have had wasn't about to be my training dummy :lol:
I think you may need to try again. I've GMed wrestling on two chars with NPC in the past week. The NPCs were not auto-defending.

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

A mythical "stealth patch" perhaps? Just a few weeks ago I know you had to break LOS. Wonder what changed that last week it would work as it did last year suddenly?

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Apparently it works in some cases, and not in others. I recently saw a guildmate do it after I said it was not possible, so for now I won't say yay or nay.
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

Pirul you gotta learn to just always act like you're right even when you're wrong.

That's what I do.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Panthor the Hated wrote:Pirul you gotta learn to just always act like you're right even when you're wrong.

That's what I do.
You're not alone!!

:lol:
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Misti Autumns

Post by Misti Autumns »

Attack him while he is boxed in... then say all stop, all stay, and have another character hide you for two seconds with invis spell.. then you can spar away without him attacking..

xevec
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by xevec »

Misti Autumns wrote:Attack him while he is boxed in... then say all stop, all stay, and have another character hide you for two seconds with invis spell.. then you can spar away without him attacking..
This is my prefered method.

OhSnap
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by OhSnap »

xevec wrote:
Misti Autumns wrote:Attack him while he is boxed in... then say all stop, all stay, and have another character hide you for two seconds with invis spell.. then you can spar away without him attacking..
This is my prefered method.
I usually just say "all guard me", attack, say "all stay", run *just* off screen so he is still attackable by me without tabbing out but he won't attack me any more. works pretty good

morganm

Post by morganm »

I think it has to do with guard zone. Many times I've hired a fighter/paladin, took them to a tower, said "all guard me", they turn gray, I attack, and they never fight back.

Once I took a paladin back to town that I was pounding on in a tower with out him fighting back. Tried the same thing (Said "all guard me", attacked him) and he started fighting back.

The other day I was out in the forest and tamed a brown bear. Said "all guard me", attacked him, and he never fought back.

Huzke
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Huzke »

I believe that the all guard me is just really buggy because I have macro'd GM wrestling 3 times and GM weapon skills 4 times since I joined this server and the all guard me worked flawless. Last night I was macroing a character of mine and a character for a friend of mine side by side on two separate paladins and the all guard me worked on my character with no issues but my friend's character kept getting his face bashed in so I had to use the all stop, all stay, invis method. I restarted my friends macro this morning and the all guard me still didn't work while I restarted mine, GM'd, and logged the character off.

So if the all guard me method doesn't work the invis is the next simplest method since it's buggy and getting it to work is, seemingly, purely by way of luck.