Melee era accurate?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Higler

Melee era accurate?

Post by Higler »

Hey all as I have said in a few posts I have just found T2A and I could not find the exact answer in any other threads. I know there are no choosable weapon abilities here but I'm wondering if the certain weapons have the same random chance of going off, mainly for the sake of wrestling does wrestling provide the benfit of not being hit as often by other melee and does it have the chance of disarming the person your in combat with? do spears randomly paralyze targets and halbreds cause a concussion type blow? Many of my templates revolve around these things (no i dont play invis hally mage!) so if anyone could give me actual facts about these things on this server I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance and I hope to see you all on the battlefield soon >:)
"All Kill = No Skill Newb!" random angry kid

"Damn DP dex monkey, I couldn't heal!" captain obvious, another angry kid

"Damn garbage spam me harm! learn new spell" Courage of Chessapeak

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Melee era accurate?

Post by Jill Stihl »

Disarm, paralyse, lumberjack bonuses etc were UO:R additions, they're not present on UOSA.

Higler

Post by Higler »

Jill Stihl wrote:Disarm, paralyse, lumberjack bonuses etc were UO:R additions, they're not present on UOSA.
not completely true, CuB was pre uo:r and you could disarm with wrestling in this era, but if they are not present here thats cool was just wondering before i waste time and skill points thanks for the info.

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

Higler wrote:
Jill Stihl wrote:Disarm, paralyse, lumberjack bonuses etc were UO:R additions, they're not present on UOSA.
not completely true, CuB was pre uo:r and you could disarm with wrestling in this era, but if they are not present here thats cool was just wondering before i waste time and skill points thanks for the info.
again your memory is wrong disarm / stun punch were uor go read patch notes
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

Higler

Post by Higler »

iamreallysquall wrote:
Higler wrote:
again your memory is wrong disarm / stun punch were uor go read patch notes
Not my memory, dont want to start an argument here but for the sake of proving my point ill post links to what your refering to and the difference in what I'm talking about as you don't know and clearly want to start a flame thread.
http://wiki.uosecondage.com/2000_Patch_Notes

Client Patch 1.26.4i Mar 16 2000 7:11PM CST
WresStun: Will toggle your character in and out of stun wrestling mode.
WresDisarm: Will toggle your character in and out of disarm wrestling mode
ok thats notes from march uo:r was not released until april of the same year
http://www.uoguide.com/Clean_Up_Britannia_(1999)
Players were given plenty of warning when the switch was finally thrown on January 23, 2000.

clearly CuB was before uo:r as was the wrest change to where this could be toggled prior to this it was set on a random chance based on the two players skill in their weapon skill (e.i. swords fencing wrestling etc.) if and when this disarm would happen that was active since the release of T2A just was not able to be toggled until march of 2000 which would still be before april when uo:r was released http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Online:_Renaissance

so please before you flame me and tell me im just going off memory and im wrong do your research sir, i do not want any furhter response or flaming clogging up these boards. my question was simple and answered (is this feature present or not)

Brules

Post by Brules »

You are wrong. Our Cutoff is late 1999 before the pre-UOR stuff started getting put in..

Higler

Post by Higler »

Brules wrote:You are wrong. Our Cutoff is late 1999 before the pre-UOR stuff started getting put in..
yet again let me say this very clearly, my question was "is it present or not" and was answered any further flaming is not only unnecessary but unwanted.

I'm not wrong if you would look what I'm talking about was present in "late 99" CuB was late 99 which I'm told was a part of this server this being so what im talking about was present PRIOR to CuB and was used by select players that knew about it and played this play style as I was not the only one. The "pre-UOR" stuff your talking about was simply a way to toggle this on and off rather than it being random (early 99) so no I'm not wrong it just is not present on this server which has been already been stated and all I was looking for.

LudKrud

Post by LudKrud »

Actually CuB was in early 98,our cutoff date here is dec of 99 I believe,well before the special blows were put in.I started playing late 98 and CuB had been and gone by the time I started.

Higler

Post by Higler »

CuB was not in early 98 if you would scroll up and click the links and read, CuB was in late 99 and was a preparation for the new exspansion coming in early 2000 (uo:r) so please stop saying im wrong read the proof its right there i posted links with exact dates of when and what. Like I said there is no need for you or anyone else to come in and just blurt " your wrong!" without even reading the proof right in front of you flaming this thread up. unless you have something to say about my original and main question that is useful and pertains to that subject just keep trolling to another thread.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I'll go ahead and make some clarifications regarding these topics.

First, both stun punch and disarm were UOR features, and were released in two parts. The first was the 1.26.4i Client patch, released on March 16, 2000. This patch was a necessary client patch that would enable users to create a macro to toggle into stun or disarm mode, but was useless until the second part of the patch was released. Specifically, the UOR patch, dated April 28, 2000. In the UOR patch, the actual server side functionality for stun punch was enabled, which allowed the recently patched client macros to work. The details of this addition are as follows:
Wrestling Moves
New attacks with the wrestling skill.
  • Disarm
    • Characters with 80 or higher in both wrestling and arms lore can attempt to disarm an opponent. If successful, any weapon or spellbook in the target’s hand will be removed and placed in the target’s backpack.
  • Stun Punch
    • Characters with 80 or higher in both wrestling and anatomy can attempt to stun their opponents. A successful stun punch will paralyze a target for 4 seconds. This stun punch has the same effects as the paralyze blow for fencing.
To perform one of these special attacks, players will need to set a macro to put themselves in the appropriate wrestling “mode”. Both hands must be free in order to perform a move.
  • New macros called “StunPunch” and “Disarm” will facilitate this. Once in the special attack mode, the character will attempt the maneuver with each successful hit.
  • If a maneuver is performed successfully the wrestler will automatically go out of their wrestling mode. There is a 10 second delay before the wrestler can perform another move.
  • While in a wrestling mode, each attempt to perform a maneuver (each hit or miss) will result in a loss of 15 stamina.
  • The higher a characters wrestling and other skill (anatomy or arms lore), the higher chance they will have to successfully perform the move.
  • Equipping any items in your hands (weapon, shield, spellbook, etc) will automatically take you out of a wrestling mode.
Second, all other special hits are also UOR additions. This is a much clearer case to explain due to the fact that all other hits were purely random, and did not require a client side patch to utilize them, thus removing the need for a preemptive client patch. These attacks, introduced with the UOR patch, are outlined as follows:
Two-handed Weapons
Any melee weapon that requires two hands to wield will gain a special attack. The type of special attack will depend on the type of weapon used. These special attacks will only work against player characters, not against monsters or animals.
  • Mace Weapon: Crushing blow, a hit for double damage. Only applies to true maces, not staves.
  • Sword Weapon: Concussion blow, victim’s intelligence is halved for 30 seconds. Note the effects of a concussion blow are not cumulative, once a target is the victim of a concussion blow, they cannot be hit in that manner again for 30 seconds.
  • Fencing Weapon: Paralyzing blow, victim is paralyzed for 4 seconds. Once paralyzed, the victim cannot fight back (s/he wont auto-defend) or cast spells, however s/he can still use potions and bandages. The paralysis will not break by any means, even if the victim takes damage. Once paralyzed, the victim cannot be paralyzed again with another special attack until the paralysis wears off.
Upon a successful hit, there will be a small chance to inflict one of the special attacks. The base chance to inflict one of the special attacks is 20%. A high intelligence will give a small bonus towards the chance to execute a special attack up to a total chance of 30%.
Third, CuB was indeed during late 1999, and was part of a two week change of trash barrel mechanics outlined in an update article from October 15, 1999 (the text of the now inaccessible article can be found, here, on our patch notes wiki).

Finally, the claim that both wrestling and stun punch existed during early 1999 as a random effect, is an entirely unsupported claim. If you believe that this is true, your best course of action is to bring unambiguous evidence from the era that clearly stats that it was possible to perform such a move. The current information does not support your position in the slightest.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Higler

Post by Higler »

Your right about everything you said weapons abilities were part of uo:r and realesed in 2000 im not disputing that fact, the fact that there was random affects from certain weapons prior to this which was released in the T2A exspansion is true why else would they make a *change* to a toggle it if it was not already present? common sense says they would have *added* these affects not *changed* it to where they were able to be toggled and also that they were *changed* to require multiple skills in uo:r prior to this *change* it was based solely off of the weapon skill for such weapon and did not even tell you it happen it just happen due to it being a game mechanic. Now if I still further need to research to prove the obvious even more here I can do so. But there is really no need this was not meant to be a discussion of when what was added as I already know the facts, the only thing that does pertain to this thread is either a yes or no if they are here on this server.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Higler wrote:the fact that there was random affects from certain weapons prior to this which was released in the T2A exspansion is true
This is a claim on your part. This must be backed up by evidence from the era you are claiming it existed in, and none has been provided thus far.
Higler wrote: why else would they make a *change* to a toggle it if it was not already present?
This is a loaded question. You make the assumption that it already exists, and that they changed the way it functioned with the UOR patch, and did not add new functionality with the UOR patch, and preceding client patch.
Higler wrote: common sense says they would have *added* these affects not *changed* it to where they were able to be toggled
Common sense tells us exactly this, and that's exactly what the patch notes state. Without clear evidence from the era, there is no way to make a logical assumption that the UOR patch note was a change, instead of an addition, strictly based on the fact that we do not have any proof that it existed beforehand.
Higler wrote: and also that they were *changed* to require multiple skills in uo:r prior to this *change* it was based solely off of the weapon skill for such weapon and did not even tell you it happen it just happen due to it being a game mechanic.
With this statement, you are now making several claims as to the functionality of special hits. Thus far, you have claimed the following:
  • Special effects were random and were associated only with wrestling.
  • Special effects only required the wrestling skill, until they were changed with the UOR patch.
  • Special effects did not report any results, they just happened.
These are three claims that are entirely unsupported, and require evidence (which you have provided none for).
Higler wrote:But there is really no need this was not meant to be a discussion of when what was added as I already know the facts, the only thing that does pertain to this thread is either a yes or no if they are here on this server.
This is an important topic because of the fact that we attempt to be as mechanically accurate to the era as possible. When a player makes a claim that something worked differently than it does here, this becomes an important topic because it may be an accurate statement, and thus require us to make such a change. You have been quite vehement in your claim that you know the facts and that these skills did indeed work this way. This claim of mechanics is very different from how things currently work on UOSA and thus, the topic is very important to us, because we can either reveal an inaccurate mechanic on UOSA, or we can dispel any misconceptions about how a mechanic actually worked during T2A.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Higler

Post by Higler »

Ok kavian I see what your saying, I was not intending for anything to be changed from my random little question, I just simply wanted to know so I could best skill my character for my play style to be at maximum effectiveness. In fact I could really do without hally mages or hally dexers eating my mages mana from concussion blows and without being parad 5 times in a row running from a group of spear dexers. But all is fair in correctness so here goes I will research it and find the proof if it still exists but I doubt it does as this was simply a game mechanic imbedded thus required no notification about it until the point is was altered in some way (uo:r). The most significant proof is when everyone was asking for macers to have some significance to their melee skill such as swords wrestling and fencing (fencers having the para swords having the extra damage and concussion blow from hally and wrestlers being able to disarm {NOT stun} and avoid hits more effectively from melee) there was a big speciffic patch that enabled macers to decrease durability faster than other melee skills and also reduced the targets stamina early in 99 i dont remember exact date(may maybe) or patch number but this was speciffically put into level the playing field between melee classes as the original game mechanics included no special abilities for mace fighters. As for speciffic proof of each of the other melee skills special bonuses I would have to research in depth (wish I had been into making videos in my early days of uo) to prove this is the way it was. You might also find a patch related to stealing last object there was a "bug" that allowed theives to steal an item between a players hand and bag once they were disarmed which allowed the stealing of item blessed weapons which made it so significant and made many players call for a change in the game mechanics, this bug might have gotten fixed for specifically me and my friends using this tactic so much around the time of CuB before the toggleable weapon abilities were introduced and all the changes to these abilities were made. Altough this patch may have occured right after uo:r not sure exactly when they fixed it.

Higler

Post by Higler »

Ok Kaivan at last I am bested, I could not find any actual patch note saying these underlaying abilities were on these weapons from day one or at least when I started using them and understanding them in early 99 after second age release. Everything I can find is random sites or blogs or posts from others talking about these things which is no more credible than me saying it. As I already stated Fencing had paralyze Swords concussion and both shared the ability to be poisoned Wrestling had disarm and the ability of "dodging" (I don't know the actual word that was used) melee attacks, while macing originally had no special added bonus from a weapon and no ability, so there was a specific patch that I'm sure you can find or already know of where they specifically state they balance mace fighting out by giving them the stamina drain and armor desctructing perks. This was infact to make them equal to other melee classes, none of these had the ability to be toggled on or off until uo:r (not even the new macing perks they added) which is the patch you refer to in march of 2000 but still pre uo:r. I know you guys are sticking behind 2000 not just the release of uo:r like I said I wasn't looking for a change to the current system just wanted to know the mechanics of the current system. If someone else wants to take on finding officially published information to prove this be my guest but I have wasted many hours trying to find this information with no luck.

Zelek Uther
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Zelek Uther »

Just to clarify the Era that we are reproducing.

UOSA emulates a single day: 23 November 1999 (the date of Publish 1).

(A staff member or shard veteran should step in here if I've got this wrong)
Zadok Uther - Co-founder of Society of Traders [S^T]

Zelek Uther - Guild Master of Terra Nova [TN]