CtF Suggestions

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Milford Cubicle
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

CtF Suggestions

Post by Milford Cubicle »

Derrick you've said to make suggestions, so here they are, and I think they're reasonable.

1. Get rid of potions, too many people go in solo and come out with the flag because of mini heals and potions, mainly total refresh and heal pots.
2. Enable field spells, having a stone wall cast in front of somebody requires a team to help that person get out alive. i.e. a person to heal and dispel field.
3. Enable paralyze. Why can't we stop people with the flag? That's another reason why it's too easy for the person to get out with the flag.

As of now Capture the Flag isn't a team based game. It's people going solo and trying to be the top contender for their precious trophy. If you want the damn game to be a team game, make it one, don't make it easy for one man to get in and out so easily.

I think those are 3 reasonable points to make ctf harder and more team oriented. Take it as you will.

Derrick

Re: CtF Suggestions

Post by Derrick »

Suggestions much appreciated. I'm interested to hear what others think about doing away with pots all together. Might not just getting rid of refresh pots be another possible solution?

alatar

Post by alatar »

Derrick wrote:Suggestions much appreciated. I'm interested to hear what others think about doing away with pots all together. Might not just getting rid of refresh pots be another possible solution?
Derrick we have had this same thread discussion like 3 times now. Im pretty sure most of the people are ok with adding in Misc. skills like stealth & hiding, as well as field spells & paralyze.
#1 PK Guild on T2A
ironfistmax wrote:Alatar is one of the best PvPers I have known. I have played UO since 1998 and every free shard known to man. It's not questionable whether he is good or not.
Hemperor wrote:Alatar is a douche bag but at least he and cr3w would fight everyone.

Hernando_Kortez

Post by Hernando_Kortez »

CTF and double domination could be easily fixed by taking out the team leader award and adding field spells, paralyse and skills like hiding/poisoning.

The team leader award especially is horrible as it ruins any hope of people playing as a team :(

Milford Cubicle
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Milford Cubicle »

Hernando_Kortez wrote:CTF and double domination could be easily fixed by taking out the team leader award and adding field spells, paralyse and skills like hiding/poisoning.

The team leader award especially is horrible as it ruins any hope of people playing as a team :(
This is true. Instead of glorifying one person, I think everyone should just be equally rewarded seeing as how the events in question are team events, no need to give people big egos because of there doing "better" than everyone else.

I think adding food is ok, even if it is unlimited because it's far less effective than a total refresh potion, and while the people are getting hit, they'll lose more dex even when eating.

The best thing is to add hiding spells (except you can't hide while holding the flag), field spells, and teleport. I'm telling you it would make it so much more team oriented if you had some people specifically be in certain position (such as walling the doorways, or having a small group of people at each doorway within the base. Then have a couple of flaggers. I've passed the flag a lot of times, but i've almost never seen anybody pass it to anybody else.

The main point is it's all about teamwork and making it at least somewhat difficult instead of 1 manning it.

mrbojangles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by mrbojangles »

I'd say definitely remove team leader, as others have previously stated, all it does is promote someone to play in a solo style. I mean isn't the person who's healing the flag carrier just as important as the FC themselves, yet they get no recognition for their work, so healers and any type of play style that isn't 'target anyone about to die' or b'onzai blitz towards the enemy flag' is going to be less common.

And refreshes should definitely be removed, blocking people in is a legitimate tactic in the field, it should also be in CTF where it plays a much larger role. It would also require people to hand off the flag, a good tactic which is seldom used.

As far as wall of stone.. I think it would be too overpowered. Three or four mages could guarantee the enemy FC never leaves their base.
Omar Little(irc) / Mr Bojangles / Bowie / Snake Plisken / Martin Van Buren / Dirty Ore

Visit the The Yew Gate Shop for everything you need.

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

L2 dispel field... Wall of stone won't be op if you travel as a team ... It just nullifys solo tactics

Xukluk Tuguznal

Post by Xukluk Tuguznal »

Si, I'd go for giving CTF a more field fight feel. I.e. field spells/hiding/stealth/poisoning/ ect ect. Course no hiding/stealth with flag and no teleporting with the flag.
Tforc YM wrote: if you are over 24 though do not apply because i dont like nerdy people who dont get there lifes past uo. also if you do not have a microphone or vent then i can not make you into a good player, sorry , dont apply.

BloodyBandage

Post by BloodyBandage »

Pretty good idea to do away with team leader...we know a healer in a group is just as important as the tank...but then again getting kills helps your team win. Tough decision. The TR spam does create solo warriors :)

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I've got some of the code in to allow us to test some of these changes tommorrow

Mirage
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Mirage »

BloodyBandage wrote:Pretty good idea to do away with team leader...we know a healer in a group is just as important as the tank...but then again getting kills helps your team win. Tough decision. The TR spam does create solo warriors :)
Well the thing is that most of the team leaders aren't the ones doing the killing. It's usually the people running a grab flag macro running for the flag non-stop regardless if the team needs defenders or not.
Syntax of the Wolfpack (TW) - PVP Since 97'

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

If you remove all potions you'll kill one of the skillful aspects of the game. Knowing when to time potion use has always been one of many aspects which sets apart skilled players from crap ones.

Not to mention, if you remove potions you'll just force everyone to have to have magery to compete...in yet another event. Leave potions alone. If anything, just increase the delay on refresh potions or even better, increase the delay on refresh potions WHEN a flag is carried.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Jaster

Post by Jaster »

Hot Fix .. right off the presses!

New Additions to CTF
Wall of Stone
Teleport[if not carrying flag]
Hiding[if not carrying flag]
Stealth[if not carrying flag]

Potions
Heals [No change to current system]
Cures [No change to current system]

Refresh [Should not be unlimited, make refresh pots work as explode pots do]
*Allowed to use them, but they are not free use in CTF/DD/Deathmatch, or any event*
GA/STR [Should also not be unlimited/freeuse]
Debuffs should mean something, not just worthless ... weaken/auto gstr pot, clumsy/auto ga pot ...

IMO OFC!

And take out team leader ...

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Jaster wrote:Hot Fix .. right off the presses!

New Additions to CTF
Wall of Stone
Teleport[if not carrying flag]
Hiding[if not carrying flag]
Stealth[if not carrying flag]

Potions
Heals [No change to current system]
Cures [No change to current system]

Refresh [Should not be unlimited, make refresh pots work as explode pots do]
*Allowed to use them, but they are not free use in CTF/DD/Deathmatch, or any event*
GA/STR [Should also not be unlimited/freeuse]
Debuffs should mean something, not just worthless ... weaken/auto gstr pot, clumsy/auto ga pot ...

IMO OFC!

And take out team leader ...
I agree with all of this with the following exceptions:

1. GA/STR. They should stay unlimited use. Isn't there a delay? Much like a mage casts his spell with free reqs a potion is much the same. The difference is obviously the mana use. One has mana use, the other has a delay between uses. It seems balanced.

2. Regarding refresh. I could live with that concept. Alternatively you could disable refresh use when the flag is carried. This would allow refresh on respawn to refill your stamina. It would also allow you to prep before you grab the flag but once you grab you are on your own. Of course, it would potentially create instances where people swap the flag to drink refresh....but thats teamwork and the point, no?
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

Kraarug
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kraarug »

Derrick wrote:Suggestions much appreciated. I'm interested to hear what others think about doing away with pots all together. Might not just getting rid of refresh pots be another possible solution?
I think getting rid of them or nerfing them too much is just another way to make a certain play style even more off balance.

Everyone can use potions, there are no restrictions on who can drink them, so why do away or nerf them? I don't think it would be too much effort to add a few extra drink macros or try a different play style out.