Houses in areas that say housing is not allowed

Topics related to Second Age
Zippy

Houses in areas that say housing is not allowed

Post by Zippy »

Whats with that? Why are certain people allowed to place there but others are not allowed. Im sure these areas were known when this shard was started. So why were they not blocking placement from the beginning?

Apocalypse

Re: Houses in areas that say housing is not allowed

Post by Apocalypse »

Not everything you see today is the way it was from the beginning (see: glacial staffs, daemon bone armor, etc). As staff and players research in the neverending quest for era accuracy, things get changed. Somewhere that might have originally been available for house placement may not be anymore, and those houses have simply not decayed because the original owner still plays or it has been sold over the years and never fallen or been taken down.

Boondock_Saint
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Boondock_Saint »

If my houses fell, nothing would be able to replace them.
[quote="Downs"]All the cool kids saw your wizard tears. [/quote]

[21:32] <[Rose]> scurvy is the new chumbucket

Pac

Post by Pac »

They were placed by staff in return for large donations.

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

Pac wrote:They were placed by staff in return for large donations.
That is highly unlikely.

The more probable explanation is that you are trying to place houses in grandfathered areas such as the bog of desolation. There were other patches that affected the rules of placement. For example: it was once possible to place 2 towers or a tower and keep/castle beside each other and bridge them, that is no longer the case.
Derrick wrote:

Effective 5/2/2011:

No housing can be placed in the Bog of Desolation: Thanks Stranger, Jill Stihl, Kaivan
^^^ Is from here
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

No one seems to understand my point. These areas were known as no housing area when this shard was made. So why was it not made no housing from day one? I understand people may say well a patch came later that made them no housing areas. But if you go by that and put in patches as did osi then uor is coming?

WiseOne

Post by WiseOne »

This shard started many years ago before much of the information we have now was available.

It was simply not known until much later that the bog of desolation should be a no housing zone.

As more information gets unearthed, more changes are made to the server.

The aim, as I understand, is to have an identical mechanical replica of the T2A world as it was on OSI.

This shard is, and will likely always be, a (great) work in progress.
♥ Baaaaaaaaaaam ♠

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Zippy wrote:No one seems to understand my point. These areas were known as no housing area when this shard was made. So why was it not made no housing from day one? I understand people may say well a patch came later that made them no housing areas. But if you go by that and put in patches as did osi then uor is coming?
Using your logic, everything on this shard would technically be "known" as it all existed prior, and as such should all be perfectly era-accurate. Unfortunately, this isn't the case. Stuff is forgotten. Things once known are lost and need to be re-found.

Speaking logically, the Staff here does what they can when they can in order to make the shard as accurate as possible.
Realistically speaking, its a work in progress and sure as hell ain't gonna happen overnight.

The Staff is quite dedicated to their task, though, and are very professional in their application of Era-Accuracy.

You will not find a group of Staff members more dedicated to Era-Accuracy on any shard out there.

You also will not find a more professional Staff out there on any other Shard.

-L/S
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Light Shade wrote:
Zippy wrote:No one seems to understand my point. These areas were known as no housing area when this shard was made. So why was it not made no housing from day one? I understand people may say well a patch came later that made them no housing areas. But if you go by that and put in patches as did osi then uor is coming?
Using your logic, everything on this shard would technically be "known" as it all existed prior, and as such should all be perfectly era-accurate. Unfortunately, this isn't the case. Stuff is forgotten. Things once known are lost and need to be re-found.

Speaking logically, the Staff here does what they can when they can in order to make the shard as accurate as possible.
Realistically speaking, its a work in progress and sure as hell ain't gonna happen overnight.

The Staff is quite dedicated to their task, though, and are very professional in their application of Era-Accuracy.

You will not find a group of Staff members more dedicated to Era-Accuracy on any shard out there.

You also will not find a more professional Staff out there on any other Shard.

-L/S
I'm not disputing this at all. I'm just saying that anyone who played on the osi shards (including the staff which im sure they did play) knew when this shard was started that these were no housing areas. Some stuff just doesn't or didn't need to be researched to know it was there.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Zippy wrote:I'm not disputing this at all. I'm just saying that anyone who played on the osi shards (including the staff which im sure they did play) knew when this shard was started that these were no housing areas. Some stuff just doesn't or didn't need to be researched to know it was there.
They're human. When faced with the task of consolidating thousands of inaccuracies in order to make the shard Era Accurate, some things get overlooked or side-burnered.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

[Uhh] Eo
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by [Uhh] Eo »

What house are you thinking of?

I placed one of these houses. The staff made a change to housing that was probably a bit too lenient on bumps. I was able to place 5 houses in Wind garden - what had been preventing them from being placed there had been the bumps.

They patched the code to be harsher on bumps again, and then made the garden a no-housing area as well. I agreed to deed 4/5 houses and kept one as a momento, sort of like the house behind Vesper alchemist on OSI Lake Superior and other older shards.
nightshark wrote:Can PINK BOOTS ever be killed? Many think he's invulnerable, including myself.
SirPsychoSexy wrote:Being PKed awhile back on my bard by PINK BOOTS was one of the greatest honors I've had during my time here on UOSA.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

The ones I'm thinking of are the ones in the swamp east of britain. Plus I just don't get how some swamps are placable and some aren't.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Zippy wrote:The ones I'm thinking of are the ones in the swamp east of britain. Plus I just don't get how some swamps are placable and some aren't.
Why does it always seem that the people who do not donate are always most critical of the staff?

What have there been? 150 patches in the last 5 years here? As other have said, it is a work in progress or as its referred to on the wiki an "experiment".

Nearly every patch implemented comes with scrutiny from player's memory (myself certainly included). It is often times a mess of OSI patch notes, code and forum posts to determine what was "era accurate" and to make that worse, all of that debate/investigation could be superseded by a later patch still in target era.

In regards to housing... This is an area that their is absolutely no ground to be critical of staff on. On OSI people constantly found ways to place illegal housing... in dungeons, wind, towns, on roads, on top of towers and even in Green acres.

The point is... So sorry the shard you can play completely for free wasnt 100% accurate from the flip of the switch.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Just because i don't donate doesn't mean you can be more critical than me. All those places people placed illegally in the places you mentioned on osi shards were removed right away. You also bringing up areas im not talking about.

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Zippy wrote:Just because i don't donate doesn't mean you can be more critical than me. All those places people placed illegally in the places you mentioned on osi shards were removed right away. You also bringing up areas im not talking about.
sigh... NO ONE, regardless of donating or not, has the right to be critical of staff here (IMHO)

ITS A FREE SHARD

You asked your question. The answer is, those houses were placed before the patch making it a no housing area. As long as they are refreshed they will stay. If they fall, they are gone for ever. No one is allowed to place there now. It clearly was not known at launch this was a no housing zone.

What else is there to complain about?